Bino Carrier

jlmatthew

Any of you guys use those Bino carriers like Badlands, etc....

Bought a new pair and would like to protect them a little better

Thx

Hi first post here. I really like the S4 lock down harness and Alaska Guide Creations binocular pack for my binoculars. The S4 is easy to get my binoculars up and ready to use and seem more secure than the Crooked Horn type of harness. My binoculars don't get condensation from my body heat and perspiration with the S4. The AGC is a full blown chest pack. I have the large AGC and my Swaro 7x42's fit in those just fine. The 7x42's are too big for the large S4 harness. I have both the large and small S4. The small I use with a set of Vortex Viper 6x32's and the large for a set of Minox 8x40's.

I am currently using the Badlands, and like it ok. It has a built in hydration pocket that stores in a little zip pocket in the back. Not very handy if you are wearing a backpack, so I cut it off. Other than that, it is pretty nice. Keeps my glass cleaner than anything I have used before.

I had the Alaska Guide Creations pouch before the Badlands. It worked ok too, but was pretty big. The side pockets on it were too small to be of use for the thinks that would have been handy (GPS, radio, etc). I also didn't think the strap attachment points were tacked well enough, as the fabric of the bag was starting to tear when I stopped using it. The fact that my old binos weighed over 3 pounds may have had something to do with that.

I like the look of the S4 lockdown, but I'm not sure it is big enough to hold my 10x42's?

Crittergitter uses one from FHF Gear. I would take a look at those as well. Maybe he can provide some input.

I've used about 4-5 different holders over the years and I'm dead set on the one from FHF Gear. Hands down the best one for protection and comfort.

Here are a couple pics of mine from this year..........

These harnesses are just fantastic, high quality, easy to use, comfortable and I've never used one better. Plus, the binos are attached to the harness by two small bungees so if your in a hurry and just need to drop them as is, you can do that and they don't hit the ground. Two squeeze clips pop them totally free in a matter of 2 seconds if you need them totally free to put on a tripod or something.

Attachments

• Glassing.jpg
    Glassing.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 3,678
  • Grizzly 1.jpg
    Grizzly 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,400
  • Matt Bull 1.jpg
    Matt Bull 1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,233
  • Matt Bull 3.jpg
    Matt Bull 3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,128
Matt, any idea what the wait time is on that setup? Seriously considering getting one of those.

I am trying to get on Paul's schedule for two sets of bino systems. He has the best solution I have seen. Hope to get a set to try in the field.

I just picked up a Sitka Bino Bivy a couple weeks ago. I really like that set up. Nice side pockets for calls. A lanyard that attaches to the Bino's in case you lose your grip, built in microfiber cloth, and the big bonus for me is the zippered enclosure also has a strong set of magnets to hold it closed, so you don't have to messed around all the time with it.

I've used about 4-5 different holders over the years and I'm dead set on the one from FHF Gear. Hands down the best one for protection and comfort.

Here are a couple pics of mine from this year..........

These harnesses are just fantastic, high quality, easy to use, comfortable and I've never used one better. Plus, the binos are attached to the harness by two small bungees so if your in a hurry and just need to drop them as is, you can do that and they don't hit the ground. Two squeeze clips pop them totally free in a matter of 2 seconds if you need them totally free to put on a tripod or something.

You just have to keep rubbing those pics of that griz and bull in dont yuh :D:D

Looks like a sweet set up may have to check that one out.

I recieved the Badlands Bino Case for Christmas last year. Tried it out and took it back for a refund and bought something else. Just didn't like it...too big and bulky. I'll stick with just a bino-harness and a neoprene bino case I bought years ago.

I've been using the S4 for my Vortex binos. It's a great carry system,

41QpINk7LQL._AA300_.jpg

I have the lockdown and in theory they are great, but I find that they don't protect my binos very well. If the top flap had something on the sides it would improve it dramatically, but I constantly find my binos with about 1/2 of one eye cup hanging out the side exposed. I could probably do some modifications to fix this without too much problem, but I would also like a place to put my rangefinder alongside.

I just sent an email to Paul at fnf to get on the waiting list for one of his. Those look like a great option. I'm going to have to look over my setup and the fnf setup to see if there is a better way to carry my GPS as well. Right now I just clip it to my backpack strap with a caribiner, maybe a strap on the opposite side of the rangefinder on the bino holder would work on that fnf setup.

Make sure you get one that the adjusters on the straps do not sit where they will be under your pack straps

The FHF stuff is high quality, well made gear. The best I've seen by far. I've got a pack full of it and he is making me a pistol holster next. Paul is a great guy with a full time job and an avid hunter. He does this on the side out of his house during his free time, so I would expect long waits. Last I saw, his waiting list was a couple pages long as he is getting pretty well known..but it is worth it in my opinion. I had him make me 2 more bino. holsters for gifts and they took about 3 months.

MF-FHF.jpg

Has anyone used the Horn Hunter Binocular Case? Looks like it would work alright

Attachments

• hornhunter.jpg
    hornhunter.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,344
I bought a Badlands last year. Keeps the glass clean, dry and I have had no problems with it. The wife liked it so well, I had to buy one for her this year. Last year, the regular price was $69. This year I had to shop to find one for her at $69, everywhere else they were $100.

FYI guys, the wait time for custom pouches right now is still around 3 months. It seems to be getting longer because of some recent publicity here and on a few other forums. I did do a small production run of these through a US production company, but it was quite an investment. The quality, although good, was not as high as my handmade ones. They sold out in about a week and a half anyway. I am working with the production company to fix a few small issues and make a larger order. I'm assuming that this is at least another 45 days away.

FYI, the bungee bino hangers were custom requests. Most of the pouches come with adjustable static webbing that connect to the binos. (See the foliage one in Drake's photo).

Thanks for the support from those of you who've used these. They have taken on a life of their own that I did not expect. I'm making changes all the time based on user feedback, and the design is always evolving.

-Paul @ FHF Gear

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back