Bill to expand WY Wilderness areas

winmag

I’m normally pro-Wilderness, but it’s hard to get excited about more WY lands becoming unhuntable to non-guided nonresidents. Wilderness study areas are currently able to be hunted by non-guided nonresidents. Converting them to federally designated Wilderness will make them inaccessible to non-guided NRs. Unless I’m missing something with USFS vs BLM Wilderness as it relates to non-guided NR hunting in WY.

The timing of this bill, weeks after Carbon County’s loss on the corner crossing case, makes me suspicious. But maybe I’m being paranoid.

Last edited:

I’m normally pro-Wilderness, but it’s hard to get excited about more WY lands becoming unhuntable to non-guided nonresidents. Wilderness study areas are currently able to be hunted by non-guided nonresidents. Converting them to federally designated Wilderness will make them inaccessible to non-guided NRs. Unless I’m missing something with USFS vs BLM Wilderness as it relates to non-guided NR hunting in WY.

The timing of this bill, weeks after Carbon County’s loss on the corner crossing case, makes me suspicious. But maybe I’m being paranoid.
I think there's more to it, but I'd have to dive deeper. Looks like it's also removing a portion of WSA and making it a specific motorized recreation area.

The legislation includes:

- 5 wilderness designations totaling 20,381 acres
- 3 designations of a “Special Management Area” totaling 27,711 acres
- 10 release and manage as multiple-use totaling 99,750 acres
- 2 policy directives

I hate wilderness designation and do not support any expansion. Screw that, all it does it create pressure, increase idiots in the woods and limit the use of the land.
Look up the Wyoming Public Lands Initiative if you have any questions about why these are being proposed and how they were decided. This was a collaborative effort that involved many stakeholders and was an attempt to address the perpetual uncertainty of wilderness study areas. Though not perfect, there were a few positive outcomes that gave all the interested parties a little of something they wanted. Some new designations, some released, some special management areas, etc.
What this didn't involve was one single interest saying "no" to everything.

My sense on this is that it was less about Wyoming wanting more wilderness areas and more about giving conservation groups a "win" (but they're not happy because they want significantly MORE wilderness) while releasing the "study" areas from effective wilderness designations. I suspect that the goal from Wyoming was the opening up of some of the study areas to oil/gas. But maybe I'm reading the situation wrongly.

My sense on this is that it was less about Wyoming wanting more wilderness areas and more about giving conservation groups a "win" (but they're not happy because they want significantly MORE wilderness) while releasing the "study" areas from effective wilderness designations. I suspect that the goal from Wyoming was the opening up of some of the study areas to oil/gas. But maybe I'm reading the situation wrongly.
Seems like one one of the areas is in an OG basin.

This might seem like a really dumb question, but why do most of the wilderness areas need to be in mountain terrain? Why can’t it be on the prairie? I like mountains as much as the next person but man I love me some prairie. Also I feel that I need to clarify I like wilderness in the mountains it would just be cool to see some on the prairie. Is it different controlling bodies NFS vs BLM? Genuinely curious not trying to get someone’s banana hammock in a bunch.

This is more about benefitting certain people, but not the federal land owners, meaning nonresidents included. The DIY nonres hunting restriction is pure BS. I would not support Wyoming getting one more square foot of wilderness until they drop the bullshit.

This might seem like a really dumb question, but why do most of the wilderness areas need to be in mountain terrain? Why can’t it be on the prairie? I like mountains as much as the next person but man I love me some prairie. Also I feel that I need to clarify I like wilderness in the mountains it would just be cool to see some on the prairie. Is it different controlling bodies NFS vs BLM? Genuinely curious not trying to get someone’s banana hammock in a bunch.
Same thing with National Park… a lot of rock and ice has protections while very few acres of prairie or sage flat do… partially I think it has to do with Wilderness needing to be a continuous undisturbed swath of land and most prairie is littered with roads.

Back