Caribou Gear Tarp

Bill allowing crossbows during MT archery

I'm 63 yo and had rotatory cuff surgery in July and really enjoy archery hunting. Idaho allows a disabled hunter to use a crossbow. Had the surgeon fill out a form and got a temporary use for the crossbow, until the end of the year, as no way in heck I could pull my compound. So far, no luck with antelope or deer, but they at least I could enjoy my time, being outdoors and archery hunting. I believe in the right situation, their use is justified. .02

Unabridged version care of, Chicken Little's, "The sky is falling" prophecy.

Crossbows are great at introducing kids to archery seasons or just add another way to get them involved. I would never consider carrying a crossbow on a mountain elk hunt, just way to heavy/cumbersome> water hole sitting thats another story. I am a bow hunter at heart and have killed way more animals with bow and arrow than rifle. Maybe the guy who uses the crossbow is the guy who doesn't practice with his bow currently and it will just help reduce the % of wounded animals. What about the hunters in their 60's or even late 50's with shoulder issues? I would bet not much different group size at 40 yards shooting a bow vs freehanding a crossbow> since bow hunters practice all the time.

Increased efficacy = decreased opportunity

Pick your side.
And this applies to all the improvements made in all bows and gear throughout the years. People always want to freeze time right where they are at. I say we really juice it up and have a spear only season. If you and 3 buddies can't take a bull with pointy sticks you have no business crossing the land bridge into North America.

Crossbows are great at introducing kids to archery seasons or just add another way to get them involved. I would never consider carrying a crossbow on a mountain elk hunt, just way to heavy/cumbersome> water hole sitting thats another story. I am a bow hunter at heart and have killed way more animals with bow and arrow than rifle. Maybe the guy who uses the crossbow is the guy who doesn't practice with his bow currently and it will just help reduce the % of wounded animals. What about the hunters in their 60's or even late 50's with shoulder issues? I would bet not much different group size at 40 yards shooting a bow vs freehanding a crossbow> since bow hunters practice all the time.
Cool use your crossbow during the rifle season when it's legal.

Remi Warren used a stick bow to shoot a monster muley buck during the rifle season in MT, no reason to throw the whole system under the bus.

Remi Warren used a stick bow to shoot a monster muley buck during the rifle season in MT, no reason to throw the whole system under the bus.
I have never killed an animal personally with a crossbow. My daughter has and my dad has. Many friends have who just entered the sport of hunting or really are to busy to practice with their bows and other wise wouldn't hunt if they couldn't use a crossbow

Remi Warren is a professional hunter, why not. He needs to do some self promotion.
Maybe spinning reels should not be allowed in fishing? Maybe synthetic materials shouldn't be allowed in tied flies. Where does the crazyness stop. I honestly think some hunters feel it gives others a big advantage, but does it really matter as you can personaly use a bow if you want.

I have never killed an animal personally with a crossbow. My daughter has and my dad has. Many friends have who just entered the sport of hunting or really are to busy to practice with their bows and other wise wouldn't hunt if they couldn't use a crossbow

In PA I'm assuming?

I totally agree with your points about use cases, and back east I think they make a ton of sense. Archery in the east is typically more about allowing hunting in suburban settings where rifles are dangerous, in which case the difference between crossbow v vertical bow is moot, in the west it's about an intentional handicap to allow people to hunt during the rut when there could be over harvest. A crossbow doesn't need to be drawn back, and that decreased movement in the field is what would give those hunters a huge advantage.

These are very different use cases. I highly doubt there is anyone in CO, MT, WY, etc who isn't hunting simply because they can't use a crossbow.

heck I'm a hypocrite also as I am glad Wyoming doesn't have a muzzleloader season for elk pre rifle.
Having hunted COs muzzy season I can't see the difference between that and a crossbow, it's probably worse because it's lighter.

Although CO deals with muzzy by having a short, fully limited muzzy season. Perhaps MT could have a 10 day crossbow by permit only season.

In PA I'm assuming?

I totally agree with your points about use cases, and back east I think they make a ton of sense. Archery in the east is typically more about allowing hunting in suburban settings where rifles are dangerous, in which case the difference between crossbow v vertical bow is moot, in the west it's about an intentional handicap to allow people to hunt during the rut when there could be over harvest. A crossbow doesn't need to be drawn back, and that decreased movement in the field is what would give those hunters a huge advantage.

These are very different use cases. I highly doubt there is anyone in CO, MT, WY, etc who isn't hunting simply because they can't use a crossbow.
Hunted in 8 states no crossbow kills have used it in Pa personally twice.
deleted deleted my thoughts> really pretty broad statement to try and define eastern hunting as suburban hunting. A safe shot with a bow or crossbow better be a safe shot with a gun,
say you have killed 100 big game animals with a bow. How many more would you have killed if you had used a crossbow on those same hunts? Heck you might not have been on a hundred hunts.

The hunter kills the animal not the weapon or the clothing. Depending on what you have in your hands determines your strategy.

How about a disabled hunter on an ebike, toting a crossbow with lighted nocks backed up with a 1000 yard rifle decked out in Sitka with a “I believe in climate change” sticker on the bike?
Depends. Would the disabled hunter have a man bun?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back