Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bighorns, Bears, and Bad Blood

Better understanding leads to better policies long term. Politicizing issues we still don't completely understand can lead to bad policies with unintended consequences.

What about on private property. How do you intend to control domestic-wild sheep interactions on private property?
I read your answer to be, "Science is not currently affecting on the ground management of domestic sheep on federal land. Maybe someday."

Private property is more difficult. I'm more concerned about the management of my public lands right now. If the federal agencies were doing the right thing I could be focusing my efforts on education about best management practices on private lands. The science is clear enough to know that separation necessary.

It was clear from the original article that Robbins and his son in law are manipulative pieces of work Buzz. Go pitbull on them and see what it gains you. Your state. Double dog dare you. :)

Always an excuse with you...just business as usual.

You start where the policy can be implemented and that's retiring domestic sheep leases..........

I help work on and fund this victory buzz. Where were you ?

It was clear from the original article that Robbins and his son in law are manipulative pieces of work Buzz. Go pitbull on them and see what it gains you. Your state. Double dog dare you. :)

Oh, I know, lets continue to coddle them since its worked so well in the past...

Since when is expecting a public land rancher to adhere to the federal regulations on their grazing leases, outfitting business, etc. when they're profiteering off my public lands "going pitbull"?

Any other regulations, rules, or laws that you feel the Robbins Clan shouldn't have to follow?

Is making them adhere to the regulations an unfair and undue hardship in your opinion?

Now, you can go back to hiding under the bed while others stand up for wildlife.

I read your answer to be, "Science is not currently affecting on the ground management of domestic sheep on federal land. Maybe someday."

Private property is more difficult. I'm more concerned about the management of my public lands right now. If the federal agencies were doing the right thing I could be focusing my efforts on education about best management practices on private lands. The science is clear enough to know that separation necessary.
If you reread the article, science is being used on federal land right now. The BLM is not granting domestic sheep grazing permits to the rancher on the "up country" parcels near where the wild sheep are. The conflict is with domestics placed on the "up country" private land parcels.

"That movement of stock toward the bighorns is what got Kroger, the Game and Fish biologist, involved. On his first sheep-survey flight in September, he saw the domestic sheep within 3.5 miles of the bighorn herd, he said.
BHS_With-_BUFFERS-1.jpg
A map shows the complex tapestry of public and private lands in the Owl Creek area, plus sheep habitat, migration routes and disease buffer zones. (BLM)
“It’s fairly open country,” Kroger said. The bighorns, “they could actually see those domestics.” Kroger saw the bighorns on public land, the domestic sheep on private land, he said.
The development set up potential contact between the two species. The risk was highest among bighorn rams, which are “a little bit more curious,” than ewes, Kroger said. “They’re going to come down,” he said, “they’re going to go investigate.”"

I agree Oak. The private land aspect makes this case much more difficult to deal with. It would nice to be working with a reasonable individual. But we are not in this case.

Its funny how a domestic dog is seen running wildlife on public land...they get shot by the public, game and fish, etc.

A domestic sheep that threatens an entire herd of wild, native bighorn sheep and they're a "sacred cow" that the public cant dump on sight.

Something wrong with that picture...

Show me the scientific support for a 2-mile buffer being effective separation.
On his first sheep-survey flight in September, he saw the domestic sheep within 3.5 miles of the bighorn herd, he said.
Seeing only 3.5 miles of separation prompted them to attempt to remove wild sheep.

Send your objections to the Worland BLM office. The Wyoming WSF is trying to get them to do the right thing.

"Many of the “up-country” BLM grazing allotments now under scrutiny are located within areas where federal plans call for no domestic sheep grazing, the Wyoming Wild Sheep Foundation said in comments to the BLM. Keeping the species apart is the group’s principal objective, Wyoming Wild Sheep Foundation President Kurt Eisenach wrote.
Because of the patchwork pattern of land ownership, “it’s impossible [for stock] to stay only on private land,” Kilpatrick said. Consequently, the wild sheep group asked the BLM for a grazing plan that would incorporate both private and public land. That’s a type of permitting the agency has used before. But for upper Owl Creek, the government will consider a plan that covers only BLM land, said Sarah Beckwith, public affairs staffer with the BLM Wind River/Bighorn District in Worland."

Send your objections to the Worland BLM office.
Thanks. That's always the answer, right? Send your objections to the federal agency that can't make the right decision, and when they ignore your objections you can litigate or try to raise 100's of thousands of dollars to buy out the domestic producer, IF they are willing.

Thanks. That's always the answer, right? Send your objections to the federal agency that can't make the right decision, and when they ignore your objections you can litigate or try to raise 100's of thousands of dollars to buy out the domestic producer, IF they are willing.
You can always move to Canada or Ukraine if you don't like how our bloated bureaucracy works.

Or just drive over to their office and get in their face. :)

You're about reasonable to deal with as Frank Robbins...birds of a feather and all that.
I don't know about that. Frank's pissed off at the BLM. Oak's pissed off at the BLM. I'm not pissed off at the BLM. I really like what they are doing in your old stomping grounds, buzz.

I don't know about that. Frank's pissed off at the BLM, his neighbors, grizzly bears, mountain lions, wolves, the USFS, Game and Fish Department, Game and Fish Commission, bighorn sheep, State of Wyoming, and life in general. Oak's pissed off at the BLM. I'm not pissed off at the BLM. I really like what they are doing in your old stomping grounds, buzz.

Fixed it for you...and you're still about as reasonable as he his.

Its funny how a domestic dog is seen running wildlife on public land...they get shot by the public, game and fish, etc.

A domestic sheep that threatens an entire herd of wild, native bighorn sheep and they're a "sacred cow" that the public cant dump on sight.

Something wrong with that picture...

It amazes me that no one has opened up on a herd of domestic in a conflict zone. perhaps because the type of person to do that isn't aware of the conflict in the first place

I have no sympathy for Frank Robbins...he's been a complete a-hole in this all along. He was violating his lease agreements and the blm finally got tired of it and took action. Frank is connected somehow with the Bush family and used that connection to try to put the squeeze on the blm. I forget all the specifics, but his connections ended up getting at least one blm biologist fired over his urination competition with the blm. When his political leveraging didn't work, he decided to start grazing sheep, totally about biological warfare to get his way. Frank Robbins is a miserable f#$&...no way to sugar coat it. He's a bully and the best thing that could happen is for him to go on a hunting accident and not come back. Let's put it this way he's got a lot of grizzlies around...I'm rooting for the bears.

His toxic attitude has spilled over to his son in law, another miserable bastard. I sat and listened to his ranting and raving at the July commission meeting and it was embarrassing to listen to it. They milk the feds and the state for everything they can. Subsidized grazing, wool and sheep meat subsidies, farm subsidies, outfitting, wildlife damage claims. They criticize everybody, make fun of people, and do it without even batting an eye. They need punched in the mouth...the best way to deal with bullies.

Do you ever smile? I think you should smile more....come on Buzzer...you can do it. New Years Resolution. Make Buzz smile. :) I like ya. You remind me of my dad. So grumpy you can only laugh. You know you're laughing. Come on!!

On a serious note, which is rare for me.

Can WY deny the grazing permits? Because, from a 30,000 foot view from someone that has no clue about ranching or grazing rights, it seems pretty obvious about what he's doing. Are there no laws that can prevent him from grazing on public land if his sheep are diseased and going to potentially transfer disease to Big Horns?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back