PEAX Equipment

Bighorn sheep advice

Ndw06

I drew a bighorn sheep tag in Idaho unit 19a I only have a 23 day window to hunt in September dew to work (I'm i the military) I have read everything I can get my hands on about sheep and the area from the game regs to forest service maps and what I could find on google If anyone could point me in the right direction for more info or any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Good luck, I wish I could help you. Maybe give the Wild Sheep Foundation a call. Thank you for your service to this Great Country!

Its probably just me but I do not understand why anyone would apply for a sheep tag in a unit they know nothing/little about or much about sheep hunting in general. On the plus side this would be good news for those with the proper knowledge who apply for this unit. Anyways, thanks for your service and good luck with the hunt.

Fish & Game should have a record of where each ram was killed in that unit. That information is publicly accessible.

Its probably just me but I do not understand why anyone would apply for a sheep tag in a unit they know nothing/little about or much about sheep hunting in general. On the plus side this would be good news for those with the proper knowledge who apply for this unit. Anyways, thanks for your service and good luck with the hunt.

For me that "why" is the adventure and the challenge of trying something new. I applaud the OP for giving it a shot, you gotta keep dreaming. I'm glad big game hunting isn't just for those with the proper knowledge, cuz I'd still be stuck hunting near home instead of enjoying the beautiful country that God gave us all to enjoy :)
Thank you for your service to our country and read thru the old threads in the sheep forum, you may pick up a few things.

I don't know a whole lot of people who can, would put forth an overabundance of effort to learn everything or every area to become a sheep expert on the chance of maybe drawing a tag once in your life. Good luck to the OP on your quest. And Yes, thanks for your service.

Good grief. Point obviously missed. I too live for discovering whats over the next hill and 'learning' a new area.

I was thinking....."I literally apply for Moose, Sheep, and Goat all over Montana with limited first hand knowledge of any of these areas." I know that there are good moose or goats or at least some sheep in the general area where I apply---and this does change by the year---but as far as specifics right now, No Way I know right now!
I would absolutely be in the exact same boat as this servicemen if I ever drew one of these crazy tags and I would enjoy the adventure the entire way. Best of luck on the sheep and I know if you work hard with the biologists and any contacts you have you will find a great starting place to go enjoy the Hunt.

Perhaps I am missing your point, too, but:

I submitted 10 sheep applications in 8 states this year. I have set foot in exactly one of the units I applied for (the Colorado unit). The odds of drawing a sheep license as a non-resident is extremely low. If I am successful in the draw, it might be next year or it might be 20 years from now. I'm not going to spend a lot of time now learning the units before I apply.

The extremely limited availability of sheep hunting does not lend itself well to learning "how" from experience, so I would guess that the majority of successful applicants don't know a whole lot about sheep hunting before they draw.

To the OP, I know very little about ID sheep units, so I can't help. But hopefully someday I will know a whole lot about one of them. :)

Definitely missing your point.... I love the unknown of hunting new areas, doing research, scouting, and the eventual discovery of new hunting grounds. Enjoy your adventure Ndw06.

Thank you all for the advice and tips to find info I always like to have some more reading material!

As a former service member myself, I can appreciate your time to hunt dilemma. I'm glad that the servicemen of today seam to be more appreciated then the servicemen of my time (viet nam). I thank you for YOUR service.
I also drew a Sheep tag this year for a unit I know nothing about. But the great people from this forum have given me lots of info. Not like what rock to look behind but things like get in shape, scout the unit if you can (I scouted mine for a place to camp and actually saw Sheep), take bug spray, pack light weight everything, and much more. I hope you can drive closer to your unit then I am able to on mine, I can only get to with-in 6 miles. I didn't know the Sheep that I saw were there until they kicked loose some rocks and gave me a direction to look with the binos. So keep your ears open.
Congrats on the tag and good luck on the hunt but more importantly be safe and have fun.

Ndw06, I've got the other tag and sent you a private message earlier. Get in touch with me and I'll fill you in.

As a former service member myself, I can appreciate your time to hunt dilemma. I'm glad that the servicemen of today seam to be more appreciated then the servicemen of my time (viet nam). I thank you for YOUR service.
I also drew a Sheep tag this year for a unit I know nothing about. But the great people from this forum have given me lots of info. Not like what rock to look behind but things like get in shape, scout the unit if you can (I scouted mine for a place to camp and actually saw Sheep), take bug spray, pack light weight everything, and much more. I hope you can drive closer to your unit then I am able to on mine, I can only get to with-in 6 miles. I didn't know the Sheep that I saw were there until they kicked loose some rocks and gave me a direction to look with the binos. So keep your ears open.
Congrats on the tag and good luck on the hunt but more importantly be safe and have fun.

Thank you for your service and the advice! Good luck on your hunt as well hopefully we are both putting pictures up on this site in a few months.

IdahoHunter90, this is so cool that you could hook up with Ndw06. Maybe you two will be able to create a memorable experience. I keep hoping that one or more of the other tag holders for unit 27-2 might find me. Wishful Thinking.
Good luck to you both.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back