Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Big Rigs

OzzyDave

Doing one of my western trips this week. Plenty of these big rigs (road trains) on the road transporting fodder further south. Normally 3 trailer but I regularly see 4 and have seen one iron ore truck with 6 trailers. Overtaking takes needs plenty of room up front - very handy having a UHF radio on board to talk to the drivers.
Huge chunk of alloy on the front for bouncing critters.
D8967118-AD1A-4C3A-AFED-0D493132BD00.jpeg

The ones that really make me pucker here in the states are the 70+ year olds driving bus sized RVs pulling a smaller vehicle with a trailer attached to that with only a regular drivers license. Just ridiculous. Where I live we have tourist driving those rigs all summer and they scare the ever living shiz out of me....especially when they start up into the mountains.

Triple trailers are a nightmare. Wish they were outlawed in the states, but alas, folks need their amazon widget in 24 hours. Can't imagine having to pass quads or larger.

Also, YER DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!

I live in North Carolina, and went out west with the wife for vacation last week. We saw tons of the aforementioned retirees pulling their extra vehicle. I passed them rather quickly. You never know what they are thinking!!

A couple years ago, I was driving through Wyoming and saw tons of the multi trailers pulling hay. I passed them on a curve to get around them but I could see for like five miles.

Definitely those RV’s can be an issue here. At the front of every good traffic jam is either a caravan or an RV. :giggle: They must have the suitable license for the category of vehicle here. A bus size vehicle will require the same license as a heavy vehicle truck driver.

Ben - Keep it left here. They would be hosing me off the road if I got in front of one of those rigs. Looking forward to the challenge of driving when I’m in the US. I know when i was there once before, I’ve gone for non existent brake pedal when i was passenger in a vehicle.

Looking forward to the challenge of driving when I’m in the US. I know when i was there once before, I’ve gone for non existent brake pedal when i was passenger in a vehicle.

Got off a red eye from Denver to Glasgow a couple of years ago, and the only rental was a manual... the first 15 mins of the drive up to Portree were pretty funny.

When we PCS'd from Italy to the UK we drove our US spec PT Cruiser up through Germany and stayed at the Hook of Holland for a night. Got on a ferry in the morning and then that evening ....BAMM....off the ferry in Harwich and straight into a backwards traffic circle and the drive to Lakenheath. Learned on the fly but not too bad for me.

BTW, took that route because I wasn't driving through or spending a CENT of my own money in France....yes I still hold a grudge over the "no flyover" crap.

I90 over Lookout during a winter storm will make your pucker muscle hurt. Once chain restrictions start, it's a rodeo. mtmuley

I90 over Lookout during a winter storm will make your pucker muscle hurt. Once chain restrictions start, it's a rodeo. mtmuley

Amen. Spent several hours at the rest stop one year trying to get home, but the road was blocked by spun out semis.

Amen. Spent several hours at the rest stop one year trying to get home, but the road was blocked by spun out semis.
Been over that hill at night when it was like a video game. Spun out semis, and others chaining in the road. mtmuley

Been over that hill at night when it was like a video game. Spun out semis, and others chaining in the road. mtmuley

I remember it being a complete circus on more than one occasion heading up to ski on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.

I specifically remember one time when dad had to chain up his pick-up to get up the ID side, but the ski hill was still open, and we basically had the hill to ourselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back