Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Big Ones (OTC, Pic Heavy)

Most bears that are killed in Wyoming are off a Bait. Even in western Wyoming we rarely see bears in the day. Yellowstone excluded.
Weird. I've seen more bears spot and stalk/glassing in Western Wyoming than anywhere I've ever hunted bears in MT or Idaho. Perhaps since the hunters mainly bait, they believe the bears are nocturnal and immune to being glassed while feeding normally? Here's a few western WY bears, taken by spot/stalk, one being a 7 foot bear, 19-15/16 skull. All over the counter, public land hunts.
WYbear2000.jpgWYbear2010.jpgWYBear2010-pat.jpg

Weird. I've seen more bears spot and stalk/glassing in Western Wyoming than anywhere I've ever hunted bears in MT or Idaho. Perhaps since the hunters mainly bait, they believe the bears are nocturnal and immune to being glassed while feeding normally? Here's a few western WY bears, taken by spot/stalk, one being a 7 foot bear, 19-15/16 skull. All over the counter, public land hunts.
View attachment 116941View attachment 116942View attachment 116943
Dang man! Now you have me brainstorming some hunts! I’ve hunted in the Wyoming range quite a bit in the past. We’ve seen Griz but no black bears, just sign. I will have to try a different area. Awesome bears!!

View attachment 116941View attachment 116942View attachment 116943

I am pretty sure I have bear envy. The photo of the chocolate one is too cool.

I am pretty sure I have bear envy. The photo of the chocolate one is too cool.
I'll take the third one... :)

I have to say, as a nonbear hunter (so far), there are noticeably few, stories or reports of spot and stalk bears in WY compared to MT. Enough so that it convinced me that MT was somehow different.

I'll take the third one... :)

I have to say, as a nonbear hunter (so far), there are noticeably few, stories or reports of spot and stalk bears in WY compared to MT. Enough so that it convinced me that MT was somehow different.
It is different- it’s not legal in MT to bait.

Not interested in bait or dogs.

Are the Big Horns any good for black bears? The Absarokas seemed to be full the brim with both kinds of bears.

2018 Spring bear, Southwest MT, spot and stalk (actually, more "right place, right time", short stalk, then shoot.)

Antelope, 2019, opening day archery season. Spot and stalk. Southwest MT.

Mule deer, Northeast MT, Thanksgiving 2017. Super cold. But it's NE MT in November, so that is a given....

Attachments

• IMGP0004 (2).JPG
    IMGP0004 (2).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • 2019-08-15 13.14.50.jpg
    2019-08-15 13.14.50.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 53
  • NE MT Mule Deer Hunt_TH.jpg
    NE MT Mule Deer Hunt_TH.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts