Big ol Burban?

500 horse is nothing to sneeze at. And it will start every time and run forever. With the OD transmission mileage shouldn't be horrible. mtmuley
In most LS 6.0 and bigger knocking on 500 is just a cam swap and a tune. Or just put a turbo on it. These motors make SBC numbers with only 6 cylinders.

In most LS 6.0 and bigger knocking on 500 is just a cam swap and a tune. Or just put a turbo on it. These motors make SBC numbers with only 6 cylinders.
Oh I know. And I wouldn't go turbo. Stout internals like you did, fuel injection and go. mtmuley

Square bodies are awesome and so are 6.0s. I have an 05 with a 6.0 and it’s still going strong.

Not to derail your thread too much, but I bought a new 2500 Silverado with a 6.7 gas engine paired with an Allison transmission and it is a beast. I doubt I ever buy another Duramax again.

Square bodies are awesome and so are 6.0s. I have an 05 with a 6.0 and it’s still going strong.

Not to derail your thread too much, but I bought a new 2500 Silverado with a 6.7 gas engine paired with an Allison transmission and it is a beast. I doubt I ever buy another Duramax again.
After ditching the diesel, I went with the 6.2 and 10 speed in a half ton. I will never duramax again.

Suburbans and hunting just make me thing about Lanny Benoit, who famously drove his all over the wilds of Maine and Ontario, looking for buck tracks... Seems like a real practical vehicle to me, especially if you're going to camp in it.

I hunted out of my 99 3/4 ton burb for several years. Plenty of room in the cab to carry camp and the 454 had plenty of power to comfortably pull our big trailer loaded with gear and atvs. I usually had an ice fishing sled to throw quarters or whole deer in to get back to camp. Critters would then get broken down and went home in coolers.
I have been considering a similar project and watching old burbs around here for sale, since I sold my 99 a year ago.
I think the older burbs are hard to beat for a hunting rig, especially for bird hunting.
If you do build one, provide some details here. Once I get my shop up this next summer, I would like to start gathering parts for a similar build.

I didn’t like my 88 4runner or 86 K5 blazer because getting into the back sucked.

My 89 suburban had barn doors but running in the more confined trails was difficult due to long wheelbase

I really liked my 98 Tahoe. Seemed like a better compromise between the blazer and the suburban.

My screwcab F150 is my preferred options now. I can sleep in the back seat if I want, I can put a slide in camper into the 6.5’ bed too if I really want and pull the atv on a trailer. At a 157” wheel base though, it’s about a foot longer than the suburban ever was. Almost 2 1/2’ longer than the Tahoe too.
IMG_9408.jpeg
The truck itself is a Heavy Duty Payload package. For those old enough to remember, it would have been called a “camper special” by ford or a “heavy half-ton” by GM.

I was never a fan of putting a dripping carcass into a cargo area of the Tahoe or suburban.

BIL/SIL drove a burb. All jacked up with massive tires. Note: they are from Washington. Stupid useless vehicle.
Rolled it in North Dakota on black ice which,by the way, coated the interstate all the way to Livingston. I know this because my SIL broke her neck and got air lifted to Billings. I got to drive from 3Forks to Glendive to gather up people and belongings. Worst drive of my life.
Everyone survived and healed fortunately.
The over sized tires were probably the hazard. But like I said, they are from Washington.

BIL/SIL drove a burb. All jacked up with massive tires. Note: they are from Washington. Stupid useless vehicle.
Rolled it in North Dakota on black ice which,by the way, coated the interstate all the way to Livingston. I know this because my SIL broke her neck and got air lifted to Billings. I got to drive from 3Forks to Glendive to gather up people and belongings. Worst drive of my life.
Everyone survived and healed fortunately.
The over sized tires were probably the hazard. But like I said, they are from Washington.
I shiver thinking about letting our young kids playhouse on long trips unbuckled in the back two rows of a couple of suburbans we owned.

I shiver thinking about letting our young kids playhouse on long trips unbuckled in the back two rows of a couple of suburbans we owned.
Different times…. My parents took me and my sister to Destin when I was about 7. My dad worked for a tire company and borrowed a cargo van, only two seats were up front. We thought it was the greatest road trip ever

Yeah, actually there were two teen agers in the way back unbuckled. Miraculously only bumps and bruises in the rollover.

We rode in the back of a pickup sitting on the wheelwell into "town" 30 miles away. I remember riding in the back on many hunting trips sometimes bundled in sleeping bags. Different times for sure. mtmuley

Back