Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Nevada Muley

There are no rifle hunts in Nevada while the bucks are in velvet. The earliest rifle season starts in October. So either this guy is a poacher or that buck is not from Nevada.

Some bucks stay in velvet longer than others.....some bucks are stags......There are lots of hard horned bucks in the video........I wouldn't be so quick to throw out the "poacher" label.

I thought the same thing about the rifle hunts and velvet. I totally forgot that governors tags and the silver state tag allow you to hunt any area with an open season and use any weapon that you want. With archery season opening on August 10th, that explains the velvet. If you have one of these tags you would have the chance to hunt from August 10th thru January 1st. How awesome would that season be?? By the way, it only costs $25 for this chance of a lifetime. Also for the first time this year you will win thousands of dollars worth of gear. Just an Fyi!!

Some bucks stay in velvet longer than others.....some bucks are stags......There are lots of hard horned bucks in the video........I wouldn't be so quick to throw out the "poacher" label.

Agreed....Late Oct Idaho velvet buck taken by a family friend.

Attachments

• stevesdeer.jpg
    stevesdeer.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 896
Pretty sweet buck, long main beams and great forks........ I love big velvet bucks.... congrats,
Matt

just as a note, looks like he went back and filmed a bunch of fill in vid too make this hunt,

I thought the same thing about the rifle hunts and velvet. I totally forgot that governors tags and the silver state tag allow you to hunt any area with an open season and use any weapon that you want. With archery season opening on August 10th, that explains the velvet. If you have one of these tags you would have the chance to hunt from August 10th thru January 1st. How awesome would that season be?? By the way, it only costs $25 for this chance of a lifetime. Also for the first time this year you will win thousands of dollars worth of gear. Just an Fyi!!

In the video the guy says "a lot of guys have this tag" The silver state tags drawing issues 1 tag for each species.
The regulations also state "As a stratified hunt the hunter must use the appropriate weapon for the season the hunter is in the field".

I believe that Casey is referring to all of the other hunters in the field using their regulated weapon during that season. The governor's tags and the silver state tag states that they can use their weapon of choice during any open season or area. Maybe Casey can clarify what kind of tag this was?? My guess is an expensive governor's tag!! No matter what, it's a very nice buck.

Anyone who has ever tried to film a solo hunt knows how hard it is.

I would like to have seen a photo from the from view.

I cannot tell you you how many velvet muleys I have seen in October throughout the years in a number of states. One thing we are starting to see here in Colorado is that some of the velvet deer that are intact are carriers or infected with CWD. Several of my landowner and outfitter friends are recommending that all velvet deer killed during rifle seasons are tested for CWD - which is what I recommended to Casey when he killed this deer. Velvet in October is far from an indication of poaching. Don't mean to be stern here, but get your facts straight before making uneducated blanket public assumptions - especially about someone who shoots as straight as Casey and is one of my closest hunting brothers.

Cody Lujan

There are no rifle hunts in Nevada while the bucks are in velvet. The earliest rifle season starts in October. So either this guy is a poacher or that buck is not from Nevada.

Nice buck! I think you did a great job of filming for being alone. Way more patient with the camera than I would be with a buck like that slinking off...

Great buck for an early area 6 tag. Please don't be offended by anything that we've said. One thing that is unique here in Nevada is that we can go back to Hunt Nevada and find out where anyone has hunted, even when some shows try to keep it a total secret. If we knew your name was Casey Butler then some of us might not of been so fast to accuse. Sorry again Casey and I have a lot of respect for anyone that can get a buck of that quality out of that country! Great job!

Just a unit 6 draw tag. Drew with 4 points. Thanks for the feedback and accusations!!!

I think that you did a great job, Casey. I couldn't film, because the minute I had a shot, the deer would have lead heading its way.

By the accusations, you would think that you worked for Eastman's or something! Forums always bring out the best it seems.

It's been covered already, but you look like a fool with this statement on a number of accounts.

The difficulty level of killing any buck...DIY...on public land....with a limited entry tag...solo and on film is off the charts. Killing a 190" unicorn buck in velvet is even more ridiculous.

Great buck Casey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back