Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Game Stories WANTED!

bcat, I sent a long story to your business address as a file attachment. I hope that this is all right.

Bcat....

Here's one on a hog hunt I did.

Over Christmas of '96 my wife's mother and grandmother came down from Detroit for 2 weeks. Her brother from Alaska also was there. Being the devoted son-in-law at Christmas time, her brother and my dentist (retired) and I took off and drove 3 counties away for a 3 day hog hunt on private land.

The evening of the first day, after tossing a couple handfuls of corn in a sand pit about 4:30 pm, I climb the tree stand and wait. About 5 minutes before dark (6:00 pm) 3 sows and a bunch of half grown piglets suddenly appear from the palmetto bushes behind me and make a bee-line for the corn.

They were vacuuming up those kernels so fast I could hardly line up my cross hairs on the ear of the biggest sow. When she did stop to chew the corn I squeezed off a round from my .30-06....and wouldn't you know it, she moved just as I fired. Instead of an ear shot, I hit her in the snoot. She went down like a bag of nickels and started break-dancing in the sand pit.

After several more rounds "toward" her ear I managed to hit her snoot 3 more times! With 1 bullet left I waited until she slowed down a bit and then really shot her in the ear. She didn't move any more. By this time all the other hogs scattered.

Anyway, I climbed down and prop my empty rifle up against the barbed wire fence and drag the hog out of the sand pit to wait on my ATV pick up.

It was almost dark beside the swamp and suddenly I hear something "grunt" and turn toward it. About 15 feet away I could see a shadow of something slowly coming toward me and it was pretty big even in the dark. I start to back up to my empty rifle and the shadow gets closer and grunts more.

I grabbed my .357 Magnum, ****ed it and pointed it toward the shadow. I couldn't see any details of head or ears. About this time this shadow was about 7' away and closing. I kicked sand toward it and yelled "Git!" as loud as I could. I kicked sand several more times and yelled "Git" some more.

Just about then I hear the ATV headed my way. The shadow grunted a few more times and turned and headed back into the palmetto thicket. About 30 seconds later my dentist pulls up and we tie the hog on the back of the ATV with me sitting on top and head back to his RV and the vehicle barn where we had power and water.

She weighed 150#. Then we gutted her and tossed her into a walk-in cooler.

The next day I set up a blind about 40 yards from the corn and get me another sow in the ear with the first shot just before dark. About 20 seconds later I hear another show from the direction where my brother-in-law was. After waiting about 45 minutes the ATV pulls up and my dentist said my brother-in-law got him a hog, too. We tokk the porker on the back of the ATV and head back to the barn.

About 10 days later I have some real nice pork chops.

Art-Got your story up, Great story!!!!!! Ramon we are still having trouble getting your Moose story into out word document on the puter. I will send the story to Moosie, or chambo and see if they can get it up. If I could get them on the puter at the same time I could Im them and maybe they could figure whats going wrong!!! Bill---Great story!!! I can imagine that hog break dancing shot in the snout. I have done that same kinda thing even with tame hogs every so often when I miss the mark, I hate it when that happens!!! Funny story!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Here is an elk story from 3 years ago. After spending 15 days chasing elk up on the divide above Leadore, ID during the general archery season, it was time to bring my wife up as she had drawn a rifle tag in the same area. We headed out the first morning, up onto the divide, and a couple of hours later through new knee deep snow just in time to see a herd with some monsters pull into the timber across the valley. We opted to head back and try an evening hunt in a lower area because the access was pretty bad where we had seen the bulls go. It had been a pretty tough morning and my wife was asleep just a few minutes after we reached the truck and headed towards town. When we were about 2 miles from town and 5 miles from the nearest pine tree out in the desert, I look out and though what I saw was a herd of elk quite a ways out in the sage. I drove out a ways behind a butte, and woke up my wife. After weaving our way through the sage for 30 min I found a nice 6 point rack poking up above the sage, and then noticed a group of 10-12 cows and calves in the same area. We started to close the gap hunched over and using terrain, but soon ran out of terrain and the sage was 2 feet tall at the most at a range of 500 yards. It took us about an hour to close the gap on our bellies. I would say " I think we are about 200 yards out lets sit and wait form him to stand" but she would want to get closer so we just kept crawling. Cows would stand, feed and look right at us but we were still able to inch forward. Finally at about 100 yards, I told her that was it, we couldn't risk getting any closer. In a few minutes the bull stood and began to feed. She couldn't get a shot in the prone, so ( I know this isn't safe and wouldn't recommend it) I laid on my side in front of her and she laid the 30-06 across my back. She fired and the 165g Grand Slam hit the bull quartering away just behind the rib cage, lodging in the opposite shoulder. The herd jumped up and came toward us not knowing where the shot originated. The bull took 3 steps then his back legs went out and he was dead when we got to him a few seconds later. A nice 280 point bull 6x6. I consider myself a very lucky man to have shared this hunt with my wife and best friend, and to be married to someone who loves the outdoors and the chase. Funny thing is she said, "Where were you for 2-3 weeks last month? You must have a girlfriend up here, it only takes one day to get a bull!!!!"

Thanks cathunt glad you enjoyed it but it wasn't too durn funny at the time.
I see there is an official site and to cut and paste but I don't know how to do that so if some one would be so kind to favor me by doing that chore I would be greatful.
I appreciate it
BCR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back