Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Big changes being floated around for CO elk hunters

Thats your opinion, and it isnt goint to make guys think a cow is worth a lot of money. cmon man, listen to what your saying, its all about the hunting instead of the antlers. A big set of antlers is a hard to reach goal to make the hunt even more challenging, dont you get it? Shit, if I had your mentality hunting would be so easy it wouldnt be any fun. I can shoot cows daily where i elk hunt, and Doe daily where i deer hunt, that aint hunting its killing. If you dont understand I am not spending the time to argue this one....

Washington Hunter,

Do you hunt out of state elk? If so how do you feel about the tag costs? If not...what does your tag cost? My Colorado tag is pushing $500. It goes over $500 and I am done with Colorado. But that is a bit off topic.

Back to the point. Have you ever tried to fly a commercial airline with elk meat lately? Not a cheap prospect. I love to hunt. I eat what I kill..........and to me, no way a cow elk is worth the the cost of the trip. For the money I pay it is all about Bucks & Bulls. Does this make me a bad hunter or person? I stand by my statement.............I can get all the meat I want by shooting does here in PA for $6.00 a tag. My Western hunts are much more than meat to me.

Sorry dude, I put my time in unlike some others. Maybe why its such a "challenge" for some guys to shoot the elusive cow elk thats worth so much money.
You live in a dream land. You want the nonres hunters to help you out in thinning the cow elk herd but they should spend like 15 times more on just the tag alone. I tell you what, I will make such a deal with you..... You buy me a 250$ cow tag and i will fill it for you and leave you the challenge of getting it home on the airplane and packing it out. If i dont kill one for you i will refund your money. Maybe if i get time i will email you a shitload of cow and spike picture taken at about 40 yards that werent enough challenge to shoot. How about some pictures of a bunch of doe at 20 yards from my treestand? that was a real challenge getting them on film. God i hope the DOW has a different mentality than you or they will never get rid of the cows.
I tell you what they should do.. Wisconsin finally pulled their heads out of thier asses and put a program into place called T-zone. Any unit with an overpopulation for 2 years goes to FREE unlimited doe tags. Its the only thing they found that worked.

Washington hunter, I hear what you're saying and I agree with you.

Its funny how the same people that bitch about the costs associated with dealing with a cow elk, will whack a raghorn with glee and deal with that. Basically an over-sized cow elk, oh, with a pissy rack on it that will end up in the rafters or nailed to a barn.

I agree to a point that the logistics can get tough when flights are involved, but again, when its a bull involved, there isnt a problem, when its a cow, then it is.

The real problem is that NR want to swirl in, buy their tag over the counter, blast their critter, and swirl out. Nothing wrong with that, but then dont bitch because theres no big bulls or you have too many cows because you refuse to spend a few bucks on a cow tag.

I say instead of whining, do your part for game management and the funding of wildlife and buy a cow tag and kill one...especially if its easy.
smile.gif

This bull/cow ratio problem certainly isn't anything new. By the mid 70's the CO cow/bull ratio was 50/1 and that one bull was usually a spike. I used to see 400 elk in one day and less than three of them would be bulls. If CO really wants to do something about the ratio, why not give free multiple cow tags in some units that have the worst cow/bull ratios? Back in my younger days I would have shot cows for all my friends who couldn't seem to ever see an elk, if it had been legal.

Maybe they should consider party hunting (where one guy can fill the tags for his buddies).

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-01-2004 10:10: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzH:
Its funny how the same people that bitch about the costs associated with dealing with a cow elk, will whack a raghorn with glee and deal with that.

dont bitch because theres no big bulls or you have too many cows because you refuse to spend a few bucks on a cow tag.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you are not refering to me. I have said in more than one topic that colorado should shitcan the 4pt rule and make it 5pt to improve the bull quality. I would say i I passed up more raghorns in the last 4 years than most nonres hunters see on hoof. I always come home empty handed in CO by choice, because a raghorn is something i wont shoot, and in the public units its tough to get one bow hunting that is a nice bull.
and yes, cow hunting is a breeze if you know what your doing and put a few hours in to study where to go, and put on a few miles.
The guys who think Cow hunting is a huge challange maybe are not doing the research. Not saying thats wrong, or putting them down, but christ there is a record number of elk in the state and all i hear from guys when i come across them is "we havent seen anything for days" then they get back on thier ATV or mule and carry on as usual.
So the bottom line is DREAM ON if you think nonres hunters should be happy with high tag costs on cows.
hump.gif
I will buy a side of beef before i fly 1000 miles and spend a ton of money on a cow. Like the other guy said, i can fill my freezer here at home with tender corn fed deer for next to nothing. Come on out to wisconsin Buzz and WAhunter, i can put you on a doe a day for only 120$ per animal. It should be worth it to you clowns just for the challenge
wink.gif

I said i wont argue with your mentality but you roped me into this anyway. I wont waste time anymore, you figure out a better way to lower the cow population but it better be all up to the resident hunters if you dont lower the cow tag prices.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-01-2004 10:31: Message edited by: schmalts ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzH:
Its funny how the same people that bitch about the costs associated with dealing with a cow elk, will whack a raghorn with glee and deal with that.

dont bitch because theres no big bulls or you have too many cows because you refuse to spend a few bucks on a cow tag. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not bitching about the costs of of dealing with a cow...I am saying that the cost is not WORTH it to me. There is a difference. Where I hunt in Colorado I actually see a fair number of nice bulls so that is no problem either. I am happy to go after them and have a ball. If I get one...GREAT! If not, the experience is worth all my costs. That is why I go.

I will not give up on elk hunting, but I will play the draws in other states. I will most likely still go elk hunting every year.....but in other states where I get tags. I figure I play the game right and I can draw on a rotating basis so as to still hunt bulls every year. Just not in Colorado.

Your state your rules. I'll play by them. But if you guys get 80% of your funding through out of state tags..........I think your cutting off your nose to spite your face. Economics of DNR and funding will become a problem and then will see what is the bigger issue.

Schmalts,

I wasnt referring to you, just a generalization on reality.

Every year, how many NR hunters head to CO by driving, hunt a bull, see a shitload of cows, and then drive home with an empty truck?

I'd wager over half, if not more, according to the harvest statitistics.

If you dont want to pay for proper management of cows, fine, just dont be bitching to me that you cant find a "good bull" to shoot in CO.

Oh, and your idea of a 5 point rule wont do any good at all. BFD, most bulls are 5 points their second year anyway. Sure, you'd prolong the death of a 3-4 point bull, so they could be whacked one year later as a ratty 3 year old 5 point.

Bottom line is, most of the NR who hunt CO are killing young bulls. Why? Because thats just about all thats there. A good trophy type bull is a pipe dream in much of CO in the OTC units. It takes 8-12 years to grow a truly large bull, thats a fact. Hard for that to happen when they're all whacked as 2-3 year olds.

As to you not wanting to shoot a cow, nobody is forcing you to.

I agree killing cows is easy, a snap really. So is killing a raghorn bull, piece of cake, I've killed lots of each.

The difference between you and I on this subject is I believe that there is value in a cow elk and the pursuit of them. I dont think, like you, that they are a piece of shit that should be killed for free.

Theres mountains of good data that support the harvest of cows and does. I kill both, all the time and I dont mind paying for it.

This last season, I killed 2 doe antelope in Wyoming, a whitetail doe in Montana...(hold on to your hat schmalts, I paid $78 for the NR doe tag there), and bought a second cow tag in Wyoming.

I dont mind giving some money to the various Game and Fish agencies for antlerless critters. I realize that management costs money and I dont just sit back and bitch about stuff, something that runs rampant with many hunters.

Would you non-residents pay for a "bull" tag if it was an either-sex tag for the first three days of the season, and then cow-only? I don't think schmalts and iron buck count, as they already said they're not interested in cows. How about the rest of you?

Ithaca, I think party hunting is a BAD idea. I'd rather see them sell more cow tags to individuals.

Oak

Boy you guys are sure easy to get excited!
biggrin.gif

Nothing wrong with going after a big bull...just seems that with the bull to cow ratios so far out of whack in Colorado that hunters would be more willing to help bring the elk herds back to a more reasonable sex ratio. In my opinion, $250 for a cow elk tag is a bargain. The bull tags are $230 more, at $480. I can understand having the desire to kill a big bull, but I certainly wouldn't give up a year of hunting if I didn't draw a bull tag, and cow permits were available over the counter. But that's just me. To me you can enjoy the same country, camaraderie, and of course elk meat by shooting a cow instead of a bull...and from what may be the new Colorado plan, you could hunt every year instead of only when you get drawn. To those who live so far away from elk country that it may be a once in a lifetime hunt, or at best every 4 or 5 years, I definitely understand why they would only be interested in a bull, and for them, applying for a preference point for several years in order to accumulate enough points to draw a great bull permit shouldn't be a problem. The guys who ought to be taking all the cows are the guys who go every year or the guys who have already killed enough bulls that they're to the point they don't care about antlers anymore. I have killed a couple of small bulls here in Washington, nothing huge, but I would drive back to Colorado with 4 or 5 guys to hunt elk and I couldn't care less if I we all had to shoot cows because we did not draw bull tags. Especially since the tags are only $250, and if killing a cow is as easy as schmalts says, we would be coming home with 1500 pounds of prime elk meat!
hump.gif
Hey schmalts, be a pal and PM me the location of all these easy to kill cow elk. GPS coordinates would be great if you've got 'em. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Washington Hunter:
schmalts, Why would you fly if it's only 1000 miles?
confused.gif
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to drive?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Limited vacation time bro, cant afford to spend 2 days in a truck rather the mountains.
As far as price goes? Its way cheaper to fly than drive. I usually get a ticket for around 220$ time is money. If I can fly back home and work a day that been driving ,I paid for the ticket, and had an extra day of hunting. Not even figuring in Gas for the truck! Lots of guys forget the gas cost, and extra day at work when comparing the two methods. Now if I was unemployed.... I guess driving would be cheaper.
Buzz and Wahunter, Bottom line is this, You guys have your opinion on shooting cows, and the majority has theirs. You will not change that opinion so talking about it isn't going to make nonres hunters pay 250$ to shoot a cow. Sorry it just wont happen. Bottom line is that the DOW needs to realize this and try to plan a way to make shooting cows more attractive. I am sorry but the only way is cheaper. Like it or not you got to admit its a losing battle to hope they will do it any other way.
Most guys hunt Colorado as a nonres for 2 reasons.
1, they didn't draw a tag in a good bull management state and they just want to go anyway even though the odds of a big bull are slim.
2, they are the type of hunter happy with a cow or rag horn and CO has the most elk (why they don't hunt the Craig area I don't know, probably that research thing I was talking about)
So with that, what's the DOW to do.
All I can say is WI finally realized that they have the exact same problem with doe here. They found only 2 ways to cure the problem. T-zone, free doe tags. And earn a buck, where you need to shoot a doe before you can take a buck.
Sorry, but it sounds like the same situation to me as CO has with cows. You don't know how many guys I invite to come here deer hunting and tell them I can get them as many 12$ doe tags as they want to shoot and it doesn't even interest them.
CO needs to stop gouging and start dealing with the problem in a realistic way.

If I'm still living in UT next year, I may try one of those cow tags. For me, its just hunting elk that I like!
biggrin.gif
Maybe someday I'll get a bit more selective, but I'd rather fill the freezer with cows than with a raghorn. However, I can understand the stance of IB and schmaltz, as it is not a 'dream' hunt to hunt cows. Living here changes that perspective greatly.

Schmaltz, I'll shoot some does for ya!
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Schmaltz, I'll shoot some does for ya!
biggrin.gif
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If my land is in t-zone next year come and get em!

Schmalts, I understand flying can save time, but don't you need a vehicle when you get there? So you either have to rent a truck in Colorado, or hire an outfitter. Do that and flying just got more expensive. I can't imagine gas costing more than $300 for your entire trip, and if you split that between two guys, it's only $150 each. Plus, getting your meat home would be a whole lot cheaper. Taking one week off work gives you 9 days, figure a day driving there and a day driving back, that leaves 7 days for hunting. As easy as those cows are to kill, you and a buddy should be able to have 2 down within 3 days easy, and that will leave you enough time to have the local butcher cut and wrap your meat. There, I just solved all your problems!
biggrin.gif

When i go i go with a buddy. We split the rental cost (250$ ea). Flying home with the meat is not the expense some guys make it out to be once you get it down. I take all the meat as luggage and UPS my bow and gear home for about 50$ Like i said, time is money and i will never take 2 extra days of vacation to drive, much less for a cow
biggrin.gif

I archery hunted in Colorado last year and it was a zoo. Could have shot a yearling cow the first day and passed. Hunting partners were all bent out of shape because I didn't shoot the cow. I reminded them that "I" spent $492.00 for a tag and wasn't going to have my hunt end in the first hour. As it turned out no one got an elk and they were all still pissing an moaning about me not shooting the cow. So this year I told them that if they want hunt Colorado that I'm getting a deer tag and they can wear themselves out hunting cows and raghorns. Colorado would be my last choice to hunt elk as a NR. To expensive and not enough quality animals. Funny how Wyoming has a quality elk herd and Colorado can't figure how to manage there resources. Sorry for venting but like some of you have said it all about the experience, not just killing something.
Now the deer that is a different story.....
biggrin.gif

Colorado has a lot more elk than WY, and a lot more elk on private property than WY. Managers can take any approach they want in CO and it will have little affect unless hunters can get to the elk on private property. Colorado needs to stop pandering to the wants of private landowners and start TELLING them what's going to happen. Maybe then they will get somewhere with their elk problem.

Oak

Oak,
I don't disagree that Colorado has more cow elk than Wyoming, now big bulls that is a different story. Not here to get in to pissing contest about elk populations. Just stating my experience. I've hunted both private and public in Colorado. 300+ bulls are few and far between.
Now the deer that is a different story.......

Colorado Oak,

How many cow elk are residents allowed to shoot per year? Here in PA we have a HUGE deer herd that was and in some places still is growing out of control. The Game Commission opened the flood gates on doe tags available allowing multiple tags per hunter. Some problem areas were unlimited in the number of tags an individual could by. In conjuction with this they gave us Antler Restrictions to cut down on the younger bucks getting wiped out before they showed ANY real potential. This is only our second year under the program and already it is showing results. The does have been HAMMERED......a big blow to the "don't shoot the mama's crowd from the old school, but our buck/doe ratios have imoproved dramatically. So have buck sightings. And bigger bucks to boot.

Multiple doe tags allow me to hunt the entire season. This is why I say I can get plenty of venison at home. And hunt out west strictly for bulls.

Why not allow residents get more cow tags?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-02-2004 16:41: Message edited by: Iron Buck ]</font>

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back