Big Belt Mountains

sprockcapn

New to the forum.

This hunting season, my Father in Law and Brother in law are staying in a forest service cabin and hoping to hunt elk. I plan on going with them and was wondering if anyone has any info on the area? I'm from Montana, but don't know much about this area. Any pointers for Elk in this area would be great!

Thanks!

What part of the season? Weather will be a big part of any answer to your question.

Every year a few good bulls are killed in those mountains, if you get to the places most others don't want to mess with. Get as far away from roads and trails as you can and the number of elk you see will increase greatly.

Generic answer, I know, but your question is rather generic, lacking more details of when you plan to hunt.

Ditto Fin. What part of the Big Belts? They run about 45 miles north-south. Pretty good elk numbers and pretty good hunter numbers.

Find their last tracks and kill 'em.

Been hunting the big belts for 10 years now, good mountain range but there are a lot of road hunters. Roads everywhere in the big belts so do your homework as to where to find chunks of roadless spots. Can't help much more since you really didn't ask much

Not that you'll be hunting private, but aren't the Big Belts where that ranch that Will Primos hunts every year is located? He does his taxidermy in Three Forks so maybe not.

Sorry for the generic post :)

We plan on staying at the Rillway cabin right inside the border of the forest service. We are fine driving to a better place in the big belts, and are planning to hike in a ways, just don't know where is good. We are actually getting there next sunday November 4th and only staying until the 7th. I have heard there is a lot of road hunters in this area, so this is why we plan on doing a fair amount of hiking to get as far from the road as we can.

Northern Big Belts(445) only has a two week general season. Its cows after that, unless you have a draw tag(bull)

I'd imagine so, he owns a ranch in the southern big belts.

I'm not really sure which ranch you are talking about that Primos owns....... The Primos crew has been Hunting the CA (Climbing Arrow) ranch for years. Ranch owned by Frank Anderson. Just north of the Bridger Range outside of Bozeman.

I'm not really sure which ranch you are talking about that Primos owns....... The Primos crew has been Hunting the CA (Climbing Arrow) ranch for years. Ranch owned by Frank Anderson. Just north of the Bridger Range outside of Bozeman.

I could be wrong, just going off what Ive been told by someone that hunts that area.

A little research revealed they definitely hunt the Climbing Arrow or have in the past. It's posted on the Primos forum actually. That would explain the taxidermist in Three Forks. Damn cool place anyway!

And who would be the taxi in Three Forks servicing the Primos crew? The rumor I heard was Primos hunts a ranch on the White Sulphur side of the Big Belts, and was setting up an entire herd of cow elk decoys to lure the big boys!:D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back