Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Bear & Other Pics.....

stanley

In May of 1996, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks in Alaska with my father. I finally scanned some of the pics, and thought I'd share a few of them.

We spent the first 10 days in & around a town called Sand Point. It is in Southwest Alaska, and was pretty cool. We spent time exploring fishing grounds with our host/friend (Bob). He is a commercial fisherman who took some time to show us some local sights prior to his season starting.

We went out to a place called Unga Island, and explored a ghost town there. Apparently this place was a fishing village in the early 1900s, but then died when they fished-out the hearing (I think...). Anyway, this first pic is the view from our boat as we approached the ghost town. Pretty cool!
Unga-copy.jpg

Here is a view from the beach back towards the skiff & fishing boat. We spent a whole day exploring in & around the ghost town.
skiff_fishingboatfromthebeach-copy.jpg

Found this old anchor 1/2 buried at the end of a cove about a mile from the town....
anchor-copy.jpg

We then spent a few days at a lodge called Bear Lake Lodge. At that time, they focused on bears, moose & caribou only, although now I think they do fishing trips. We got there a couple of days after the spring bear season had ended. All of the hunters were gone, but the guides/skinners were still there and we had a good time visiting & exploring for a few days.

Here is a bear they were getting ready to ship-out. BIG BEAR!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
DadStan_BigBear-copy.jpg

Here is me with a Dolly Varden that I caught in the lake by the lodge. We were there too early for any salmon runs, but the dolly's were a blast!!! Check-out that flat calm water!
fishingcalmwaters-copy.jpg

Now check-out the same spot 24hrs later! A huge storm blew in and stranded us for 2 extra days. I wasn't going to let a little wind keep me from catching more of those dolly's though! ;)
fishingroughwaters-copy.jpg
Yes, that's a lake and NOT the ocean!!! 40+ hours of sustained 35 knot winds, and gusts up to 60 knots. Quite a time!!

I'm hoping to get back to that lodge for some fishing and caribou or moose hunting some day with my boys!

Anyway as I said, I just wanted to share a few pics. Hope all enjoy....

S.

:)

Awesome Story and Great pics.. Liek the Water waves... So.... did you end up catching any more fish in the waves ?

I honestly can't remember if I caught any fish in the waves or not.... I think that mainly I was just trying to relieve the cabin fever I was getting while waiting-out the storm. ;)

S.

:)

That's a cool ghost town! Never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing the pictures and info!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back