Biden BLM appointee

Just looking to be educated here, but what are the downsides of wilderness study areas? Yes it does not allow you to ride your ATV all over, but you can still lace up the boots or saddle the ponies. I see those designated areas as good for the critters and as an easy way to limit people’s footprint without taking away the opportunity to enjoy those areas if they really wanted to. What am I missing?
I could be wrong here so open to corrections, but I think the WSA designation pretty much precludes (responsible) logging or forest management, which many would argue creates healthier forests that are less susceptible to wildfires. The motorized restrictions also make fighting fires tougher as well as really limiting search-and-rescue operations.

"... We all did/do stupid chit when we're young. ..."

Yeppers! I'm no exception.
MY mistakes, normally, were lapses in judgement when in an altered state. 🤪!
A lot of that is just youthful exuberance.
Ms. Stone-Manning's actions were sober, vicious and intentional. A bit more than just exuberance.
Ok, maybe (?) not an appointment killer, but I'd say it requires a deeper scrutiny than, "Oh, she was just a college kid spreading g her wings."

"... We all did/do stupid chit when we're young. ..."

Yeppers! I'm no exception.
MY mistakes, normally, were lapses in judgement when in an altered state. 🤪!
A lot of that is just youthful exuberance.
Ms. Stone-Manning's actions were sober, vicious and intentional. A bit more than just exuberance.
Ok, maybe (?) not an appointment killer, but I'd say it requires a deeper scrutiny than, "Oh, she was just a college kid spreading g her wings."
I don't think anyone here would disagree with the core of what you're saying. Yes, most of our "dumb years" aren't spent committing or being involved in a federal crime or investigation. Aside from what's out there in the media on this issue, and what's truth or partisan drivel spread by the opposing party, I think what's difficult to navigate for most of the loudest people is the partisan aspect itself.

Each party essentially just engages in poop throwing at the other party no matter what's going on, no matter who the appointee is. I mean, we have Republican politicians condemning the actions of Stone-Manning 30 years ago. Like she never stopped doing whatever it was that she was doing or involved in. Yet, there are plenty of examples of Republicans nominating/supporting people who have their own questionable history (long before their appt) and they just write it off as "the past is the past". Democrats do the same thing when it's a Republican nominee.

I guess my point is, that we've lost the ability to be reasonable and we've moved the baseline so far and so much, all in the name of the party that it's impossible to make good decisions in the eyes of public opinion and the opposing party. The only way the Republicans would be happy is if they got to pick the appointee (and vice versa for R nominees). This stone-manning issue is the perfect opportunity for the R's to nationalize a marketing strategy for their own party.

I mean there was multiple lawsuits from the 90s regarding President Trump and sexual harassment. Those are bonified legal cases and R voters wrote those off as "the past is the past". How many times did we hear "Trump's personal life and his past 25 years ago is none of my business, that's not why I voted for him". It goes on and on and both parties do the same dog and pony show, they've been brainwashed into being so loyal to their party that they'll basically justify any action if Tucker Carlson or "insert liberal media pundit" tells them to.

It's not about Stone-Mannings past, its about political posturing and leverage for the next election or relevant issue.

Just looking to be educated here, but what are the downsides of wilderness study areas? Yes it does not allow you to ride your ATV all over, but you can still lace up the boots or saddle the ponies. I see those designated areas as good for the critters and as an easy way to limit people’s footprint without taking away the opportunity to enjoy those areas if they really wanted to. What am I missing?
These old roads have been here for decades. If you are being responsible and staying on the roads I don't see how that affects wildlife or nature. My old 84 cj7 in 4 low, first gear slowly enjoying the challenges of driving these roads isn't any more of an impact than 20 ponies in a group riding on that same road. Practice leave no trace to the best of your abilities and it's not an issue. I will concede though that with the advent of razor type machines it has added some issues. A lot of those using those machines don't seem to use good judgment at times and I'd suppose you could use the old saying, a few bad apples can spoil the bunch or what have you. Being able to take my family and friends camping in these remote areas has been rewarding. Every year these areas continue to get blocked more and more and it needs to stop.

If you are being responsible and staying on the roads I don't see how that affects wildlife or nature. My old 84 cj7 in 4 low, first gear slowly enjoying the challenges of driving these roads isn't any more of an impact than 20 ponies
Yeah I can see that. And don’t get me wrong, I love that too. But few people have horses, and probably equally as few are in shape enough to use their two legs to get into some of these areas, but everyone has a truck, ATV or razor-like thinger, Jeep, etc. so the impact on these more remote wilderness study areas is less than it would otherwise be. As for me, I have neither horses nor an ATV…..☹️

I guess my point is, that we've lost the ability to be reasonable and we've moved the baseline so far and so much, all in the name of the party that it's impossible to make good decisions in the eyes of public opinion and the opposing party.
It's not about Stone-Mannings past, its about political posturing and leverage for the next election or relevant issue.
When asked verbally and on written applications (in past positions and now with this appointment) if she had ever been the subject of a federal investigation, her answer has been “no”. That’s called lying to me. Lying to advance herself. So Democrat or conservative makes no difference to me, lying to the people who you will serve does matter to me. That automatically raises questions about motives and integrity. And as alluded to before, someone has to be a little koo-koo and radical to have any part of what she had a part in. But saying that she “learned and moved on from that” seems to be silly if she is willing to lie about it still today.

but to know she has sportsmen in mind would definitely be somewhat redeemable. But the fact that she answers to Joey, who knows how it will play out

I prefer to hunt where atvs or anything that has an engine are not allowed. Some of the older hunters I know might prefer that but are not really capable. I see one downside is if all we have are backcountry hunting spots you eliminate a certain number of hunters and I feel in Idaho we have plenty of backcountry wilderness. Enough that I wont ever cover it all in my lifetime. I think there is other restrictions that can come along with it( like mentioned) which would include responsible logging/forest management and lack of roads to fight fires. I think its any activity that would reduce the wilderness aspect of the study area would/could be eliminated. My dad is now one of those "older" hunters who grew up hunting wilderness on horseback but that doesn't work for him anymore. When I hunt with my son we dont always have time to hike way in for a week. I have taken others that just dont hunt that way and I could not have taken my kids on wilderness hunts when they were young. Eventually, I will hopefully live long enough to be one of the old guys. Just because I want to hunt a certain way ,at this point in my life, doesn't mean I want the majority of our public land converted to "my" preferences. That's the disadvantage I see.

When asked verbally and on written applications (in past positions and now with this appointment) if she had ever been the subject of a federal investigation, her answer has been “no”. That’s called lying to me. Lying to advance herself. So Democrat or conservative makes no difference to me, lying to the people who you will serve does matter to me. That automatically raises questions about motives and integrity. And as alluded to before, someone has to be a little koo-koo and radical to have any part of what she had a part in. But saying that she “learned and moved on from that” seems to be silly if she is willing to lie about it still today.

but to know she has sportsmen in mind would definitely be somewhat redeemable. But the fact that she answers to Joey, who knows how it will play out

If lying to advance themselves is the threshold, who is the last political appointee or politician you were able to justify supporting?

So lying to the American people is where you draw the line?

Election season must be excruciating for you.