Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bid it up Bozeman

On behalf of the other butt-hurt hippies in the Bozeman area I will say this is a cool little roadless pocket that contains zero elk. None, ever ;). The logging plan isn't that unreasonable, but the main issue I have with the project is the permanent "administrative" roads. Even the currently closed roads on the fringe of this area get illegal ATVs and snowmobiles on them and any new roads will certainly be very popular with the burgeoning mountain bike crowd which will chase pretty much everything out of there since there won't be many places to hide. We have so much money in this area they could easily outbid the timber companies. It will be interesting to see if the people will put up the cash.

I went to get the Chronicle to a more comprehensive article on the subject, and, well, it didn't take long for your buddies to file lawsuit. https://www.bozemandailychronicle.c...cle_f8a6618e-5136-5499-9bea-a39c3a8a682e.html

It's been a contentious issue since the Montana DNRC first proposed the project. The nearby upscale very affluent neighborhoods cite loss of wildlife habitat, intrusion of roads, adverse effect on viewshed, and such opposing reasons. Those folks organized and obviously have made their voice heard. As far as revenue derived for the state, perhaps the conservation option would generate more money. It will be interesting.

BHR, my personal perspective is that this area is one where the urban wildland interface would benefit from a logging project with improving forest health and mitigating wildfire potential. But this is another Bozeman area NIMBY case where money talks.

Here is the link to a more comprehensive article. https://www.bozemandailychronicle.c...cle_dbc007c0-fcc7-5489-8823-506545487693.html

To be honest, I was stunned to see RMEF supporting logging here. We have plenty of thinned out areas adjacent to this and the elk just don't hang around in them. If they did any yahoo could spot them from miles away. The roads they punch into this place will pretty much ensure too much access.

"Instead, the complaint argues, the license offered for the Limestone West sale “will enable the Land Board and DNRC to reap a windfall from the public by selling the same trees twice, each time for a payment of full stumpage value, over 25 years.”"

DNRC won't reap any windfall when the whole friggin mountain goes up in flames.:)

BHR, my personal perspective is that this area is one where the urban wildland interface would benefit from a logging project with improving forest health and mitigating wildfire potential. But this is another Bozeman area NIMBY case where money talks.
Quite honestly I originally thought NIMBY too. However, if you spent much time back there you would probably conclude it's better off remaining unroaded.

Unless I'm confused about where this is to occur aren't there already a bunch of mt bike trails in there? Seems like kinda of a novel idea to have both sides put up or shut up. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

It's been a contentious issue since the Montana DNRC first proposed the project. The nearby upscale very affluent neighborhoods cite loss of wildlife habitat, intrusion of roads, adverse effect on viewshed, and such opposing reasons. Those folks organized and obviously have made their voice heard. As far as revenue derived for the state, perhaps the conservation option would generate more money. It will be interesting.

All the NIMBYs in Triple Tree live in big wood framed homes. They might lose both their homes and their view shed. That would suck.

Unless I'm confused about where this is to occur aren't there already a bunch of mt bike trails in there? Seems like kinda of a novel idea to have both sides put up or shut up. I'm interested to see how it plays out.
Not really, there are a couple trails through there but nothing plush as a road. Here's the website. Page 18/19 has a map of the area (not all trails are shown).

I'd rather keep the local mill open. Based on the immediate lawsuit filed, the obstructionist were not interested in "putting up", just stopping the sale.

Side bar... can we all agree that this kinda zoning is totally bs. Developer to the buyer and look I gave everyone 1/18 an acre of a field so we can be zoned as ag and pay shit for taxes. This is not even close to the worst I have seen... check out diamond star ranch in Eagle, CO... but it's ridiculous nonetheless

lots.jpg

That's also a good way to divide a large parcel, maintain the zoning requirements (i.e 20 ac) and maintain legal access to every lot (around here usually bisecting a county road. But 100% concur complete BS.

I am always amazed with the lack of logging and overgrown forest around Bozeman. I think the only thinning project I have seen done was on some state land near town. I guess somebody always gets upset and files a lawsuit. Sad. We went to a lake near Bozeman a couple of years ago and hiked to a waterfall. I could not believe how overgrown the forests were around there. My brother who works for the USFS in Bozeman told me during a visit to NW Nebraska that there was more logging in the Pine Ridge than around Bozeman, mind boggling.

I have to disagree, in the last couple of years there was cutting west of bracket creek and south of the ski area in the Bridgers... sure there could be more but compared to places like summit county CO there is a ton of logging around Bozeman.

I have to disagree, in the last couple of years there was cutting west of bracket creek and south of the ski area in the Bridgers... sure there could be more but compared to places like summit county CO there is a ton of logging around Bozeman.
Disagree with what exactly?

You think 2 projects means its' not overgrown around Bozeman, LOL.

Ton of logging around Bozeman?? Hardly. But if you see it that way that is fine. You seem to have an interesting way of looking at things I have noticed. Guess that comes with driving a prius.

Disagree with what exactly?

You think 2 projects means its' not overgrown around Bozeman.

Compared to places where there has been zero logging for decades ie the lodge pole pine forests or northern CO. I’m all for timbering as a forestry tool, I’m just not flagging Bozeman as ground zero for overgrown.

and it’s a corolla, I don’t like driving automatics...

Bridgers May 2016
71B76835-864E-49BB-93B7-63A32B50FA11.jpg

Back