MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Biathlon Rifles

Fat Americans excel at 3 gun however, cause we're 'MERICAN.

The only stages I have ever won at USPSA is when we have to run from one end to get the gun and back to the other to get the loaded mag before you can engage targets haha

..interesting.

This sport has its origins in an exercise for Norwegian people, as an alternative training for the military. One of the world's first known ski clubs, the Trysil Rifle and Ski Club, was formed in Norway in 1861 to promote national defense at the local level.
Called military patrol, the combination of skiing and shooting was contested at the Olympic Winter Games in 1924, and then demonstrated in 1928, 1936, and 1948, but did not regain Olympic recognition then, as the small number of competing countries disagreed on the rules. During the mid-1950s, however, biathlon was introduced into the Soviet and Swedish winter sport circuits and was widely enjoyed by the public. This newfound popularity aided the effort of having biathlon gain entry into the Winter Olympics.
The first World Championship in biathlon was held in 1958 in Austria, and in 1960 the sport was finally included in the Olympic Games. At Albertville in 1992, women were first allowed in Olympic biathlon.
The competitions from 1958 to 1965 used high-power centerfire such as .30-06 Springfield and 7.62x51mm NATO, and so on, before the .22 Long Rifle rimfire cartridge was standardized in 1978. The ammunition was carried in a belt worn around the competitor's waist. The sole event was the men's 20 kilometres (12 mi) individual, encompassing four separate ranges and firing distances of 100 metres (330 ft), 150 metres (490 ft), 200 metres (660 ft), and 250 metres (820 ft). The target distance was reduced to 150 metres (490 ft) with the addition of the relay in 1966. The shooting range was further reduced to 50 metres (160 ft) in 1978 with the mechanical targets making their debut at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

A good summary, Harley. IMO the current format has the important stuff - the contrast between fast skiing and precise shooting. The use of .22 rifles allows many more people to participate, leading to more spectator interest. As another example, I shoot both smallbore and high power silhouette, and while the high power is fun, I get to shoot a whole lot more smallbore.

I am trying to get into biathlon, including a proper rifle. However with my skiing, I might as well be shooting a flintlock.

These biathlon competitors are the skinniest group of shooters I have ever seen.

I'm with you, 2Rocky. Those Anschutz are works of art. Biathlon is a great event.

I watch every one in full replay. my favorite event of the olympics, but I'm a skier so slightly biased.

I've competed in one biathlon race in the past, and the guns are fun to shoot and it adds so much to the ski sport (vs just a plain old ski race). The real trick is getting the breathing and heart rate down enough to make that super accurate gun do its thing!

Our best US finisher ever (Dunklee) missed being close to the medals because she didn't shoot well. Her skiing in the pursuit was outstanding, so maybe there is hope for the US biathlon program in the future?

Our best US finisher ever (Dunklee) missed being close to the medals because she didn't shoot well. Her skiing in the pursuit was outstanding, so maybe there is hope for the US biathlon program in the future?

I would hope so. It seems that the IO is in such a rush to "maintain relevance" with a younger audience that they abandon some of the most arduous sports. Biathalon could easily get put on the chopping block like they did wrestling in the Summer games. The history of these games should be preserved & honored, not just adopt new X games type events.

My kids are involved in a youth rifle program. They use the same rifles as the biathletes but in air rifle. I'm trying to find a xc skiing program to get them started skiing.

Marlin used to make a biathlon kit for their 2000 and there used to be imports of Russian IZH's you could get at a decent price. I had an IZH 35 22 target pistol and it was the most accurate I ever had.

I would hope so. It seems that the IO is in such a rush to "maintain relevance" with a younger audience that they abandon some of the most arduous sports. Biathalon could easily get put on the chopping block like they did wrestling in the Summer games. The history of these games should be preserved & honored, not just adopt new X games type events.

I totally agree.

Spoken like a true ''Old Codger''.;)

When training with the Norwegian Army in 2000, they put us through their biathlon course, but we shot the course with an H&K G3 in 7.62 NATO. We probably skied 50-60 miles over in Norway those few weeks, but the biathlon was a particular ball-buster.

Biathalon is pretty big in MN. We have a Olympic Biathlon course/range at Camp Ripley, and host a ton of meets there throughout the winter. My wife and I just watched an NCAA meet there 2 weekends ago. We are lucky we can use the trails on Camp Ripley whenever we want for skiing and snowshoeing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back