Caribou Gear Tarp

BHA can now celebrate. Hypocrites

Hoss and I converge on this issue.

Here's where I'm coming from, full disclosure I work for an OG company, we drill wells.

I support BHA, generally but they have this one wrong.

If a company I was working for was drilling migration corridors in WY I would hope BuzzH would be keeping us honest. I want Buzz lobbying the WOGCC for rules that protect species, and mitigate impacts.

If there is a solar project or wind I want him to do the exact same thing, period. Don't give anyone a pass, look at them as industrial projects on public lands that enrich a private group.

Don't let any company tell you there won't be impacts, or that they won't try to maximize profits.

They will, expect it, watch for it.
Do we know that this project hasn't been well reviewed, in terms of impact on wildlife/access? I think your point about the difference between O&G and solar, in terms of longevity, is a good one. I hadn't been thinking of it along those lines.

They objected to certain portions yes. But not all. ND has quite a bit of OG development on Public Land (Little Missouri National Grasslands) as well. BHA picked up in popularity around what 2014? Since 2014 there's been like 40k wells drilled on public lands, BHA didn't say much about a vast majority of those.

Is this particular solar project in a migration corridor? Is there endangered species or ES habitat there?
A portion, the sale was only a portion BHA was against the sale.

1650672972482.png

The Bakken has mostly been infill so already permitted since 2014... you mentioned the Little Missouri ... well. They commented on the NEPA, they have protested various projects... etc etc.

Has BHA ever been against or even critical of a "renewable" project, like even 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't get far in that article, a popup kept coming up wanting me to subscribe, so my question is: how exactly is BHA involved in this. I was able to do a fairly quick scan and didn't see anything about BHA.

???

@brocksw

1650674142763.png

Same dude owns Anschutz Exploration the oil company which is one of the largest operators in the powder... when he drills wells there they are subject to stipulations for sage grouse, and you absolutely can't drill near a lek.

So literally the same guy can't touch Sage Grouse with a oil well, but can do whatever with a turbine.

WTF

There are “environmental” groups, I think CBD is one of them, that has actually advocated for setting aside portions of the Sonoran Desert National Monument for industrial scale renewables development.
In the same comment opportunity they advocated for the removal of AZGF wildlife drinkers.

Got an email from BHA yesterday saying my membership had expired. I will be renewing and this thread doesn’t change my mind. The good they do outweighs the bad. If I boycotted every organization that did something I didn’t like, I wouldn’t be able to support anything.

Same here.

Much in the same way that I will continue to send RMEF money, despite some of their strange fetishes.

There are less than a handful of groups out there speaking up for the DIY Hunter. BHA and MWF led the way over the last year in terms of hunting organizations trying to protect that legacy from the greed of monied interests here in Montana. I want them to continue to do that. I believe their good outweighs the not so good.

They clearly have a blind spot though, as do many of those who have been suckered into ra-ra’ing “renewable” sources of energy. Hopefully their members help them come around

The RERCF doesn't exist, no royalties to be paid on this project.
Almost like renewables development will come to public lands whether or not Hunttalk types HYPOCRITE in all caps or not. Ain't multiple use a bitch? (It is. I almost always come down on the wildlife side, but I ain't er'body and also...see the DROUGHT IN THE WEST THREAD.)

Anyway, support for PLRDA ain't the same as support for this specific project. Seems weird to have to say this, especially in the context of *checks notes* ANWR????

What's old is new again...

Anyway, support for PLRDA ain't the same as support for this specific project.
The Secretary and the Secretary of Agriculture shall seek to issue permits that, in total, authorize production of not less than 25 gigawatts of electricity from wind, solar, and geothermal energy projects by not later than 2025, through management of public lands and administration of Federal laws.

The Secretary and the Secretary of Agriculture shall seek to issue permits that, in total, authorize production of not less than 25 gigawatts of electricity from wind, solar, and geothermal energy projects 1,000,000 barrels of oil a day from Oil and Gas project by not later than 2025, through management of public lands and administration of Federal laws.

Would BHA publicly support the second one? Come on, they fudged up it was a bad call.

I can't remember anymore and can't look into it further right now. I believe some different versions of that bill were floated around previous to 2019 as well.
A lot of the really problematic language was striped, I need to re-read and think about it some more.

Doesn't set aside money to clean up the projects... is definitely a glaring issue in my mind.

Though to be honest I'm never going to be ok with permanent private infrastructure on public lands. If I was a rep I would never vote for it. 🤷‍♂️

So what do you propose? Should BHA actively campaign against all energy development on public land?

I don’t like seeing any development on public land. Solar is especially bad. Heck I don’t even like to see solar going in on private prime farmland in the midwest.

I don’t know what the official BHA policy statement is on energy development without looking it up. I would say as long time proud BHA member, this just really isn’t something that is on the radar much. Can’t say that Ive ever heard energy development actively discussed. Tons of other public land issues and projects to deal with, and personally im glad we don’t spend our time fighting development that’s likely inevitable. Land may support it, I have no idea what his personal stance is. I guarantee BHA doesn’t actively support this development. They may not be actively opposing it, but those are very different things.

Their official position, and I can't off hand remember the bill number, is they supported "renewable" energy development on public land.

Not just Land. BHA.

They ACTIVELY support this.

Im skeptical of a lot of things. Hoss coming on HT trying to rile everyone up using outrage mixed with a simplified version of reality is one thing I'm more skeptical of than "any energy development".

REALLY?

What is the difference in a road, infrastructure, and CEMENT footings for an oil rig, or a turbine or solar panel?

I'll wait.

Solar farms, 100% destroy every living thing on them.

Just go look at the environment impact studies done.

NOTHING lives on a solar farm.

I've hunted antelope next to oil rigs.

Sorry it hurts a sacred cow. But DEVELOPMENT IS DEVELOPMENT.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back