Beware of Scammers on the Classifieds Section!

BayouBuck985

Active member
Joined
Jun 20, 2026
Messages
105
Location
Louisiana
All,
I just wanted to share a recent incident with a member on here who responded to my Wanted to Buy ad for a rifle scope. The member contacted me through the messaging here and we spoke by phone and went back and forth through email. After negotiating on a price, he insisted on accepting payment through PayPal Friends and Family and would not agree to use the Goods and Services transaction type, even after I told him I would cover the 3% transaction fee to accept the funds. PayPal does not offer any buyer protection when using the Friends and Family transactions. I know most people on this forum have good intentions, but just remember there are always some out there who don't. I have messaged the Admin staff on here with the Contact Us message system this week but have not received a response.
 
WTB ads are easy targets for people to scam. Guys steal pictures off forums and alter them pretty easily.

Also PayPal protection likely won't cover a rifle scope any. Anything related to guns is a fast track to being banned from PayPal
 
WTB ads are easy targets for people to scam. Guys steal pictures off forums and alter them pretty easily.

Also PayPal protection likely won't cover a rifle scope any. Anything related to guns is a fast track to being banned from PayPal
Good point about the scopes @MThuntr, but I guess that shouldn’t be surprising based on PayPal’s ownership.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,172
Messages
2,252,248
Members
39,106
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top