Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

better units for non res w wyoming general elk tag?

dan.kirkpatrick

looking for any help on units with decent amounts of non-wilderness national forest land or blm for elk hunting the general season??in particular unit 73 at idaho border,,91 at idaho border,21 baggs,106 unitas,103 raymond mtn,81,83,67,looking for decent public access ,,road systems,,non wilderness that a non res can go d i y ,,general tag has alot of options and dates,,but struck out on my first try a few years ago,,bumped around a few units but didnt bump into any elk on public

All of the non-wildnerness, general units in western Wyoming from Jackson south to Kemmerer have elk, lots of elk. There is a fair amount of road access in parts of those units, but there are also a lot of roadless areas. Elk are pretty smart animals and they generally respond to pressure by avoiding it. Areas with higher road densities will have the fewest elk, and vice-versa.

We have plenty of elk all around the state, even the general areas with lots of roads, closed and open.

Another consideration is the type of hunt you want. The topography in those areas varies, so you need to decide the experience you want.

im looking at unit 73 elk by idaho ,those portions outside of the wilderness if anybody has been around in there in particular,,heard baggs 21 can get pretty crowded for gen elk,,i would like moderate terrian as wyoming can have some really rough stuff as im 55 old and not 25 no more.no 10 mile pack in stuff,,couple,few miles from a road would be a max for packout on my own purposes.

My first elk hunt was 21. That was 6 years ago and it was absolutely packed with people. However it also appeared to be packed with elk. If you want any specific info shoot me a PM. All I’d ask is that if you go, let me know what you find.

Looks like you’re on the right track, those are all good general options! Out of those I’d focus on 81,83, or 21.

has anybody done ok in unit 67 outside of the wilderness? how bad is the grizzlys in 67?is the forest outside of the wilderness hold elk or is there not enough there to be worthwhile to hit as a non-res??unit 73 looks kida similar also for non-wilderness forest to hunt as a n r??

Had an invite to 67 with residents willing to accompany into wilderness. Declined because of actual grizzly encounters from first hand accounts. Confirmed Grizzly activity in 81, 83, 95, 97 over the last 10-13 years...

I'd say everything North of Pinedale and West of Cody is Griz country.

Had an invite to 67 with residents willing to accompany into wilderness. Declined because of actual grizzly encounters from first hand accounts. Confirmed Grizzly activity in 81, 83, 95, 97 over the last 10-13 years...

I'd say everything North of Pinedale and West of Cody is Griz country.

Lots of bear all over that country. If you're going to hunt NW you better just be prepared. I don't know for sure if the guide a few years ago was killed in 67 or not, but a local told me it was up east fork.

I got a little too close for comfort this year. Not in 67, but in the area of the units you're talking about.

Pretty sure the guide was killed in 70, but right next door. Talked to the bio and she said she attributes some of the lower hunter numbers in 81/83 to bears. It's cool country, can definitely find some alone space if you aren't too worried about bears.

I went to western Wyoming this year archery elk hunting on a general tag with 3 friends - first time archery elk hunting for all of us (though we’ve successfully rifle hunted CO and NM a bit). We picked some likely looking elk country and got into plenty of elk everywhere we looked. If we had any clue what we were doing with archery gear we probably would have killed four bulls...but our rifle hunter type moves kept us from flinging any arrows...but we learned a little and had a blast. Point is, at least from my observation, there are plenty of elk in the general units in Wyoming. We were on the edge of grizzly country but didn’t see any bears.

Pretty sure the guide was killed in 70, but right next door. Talked to the bio and she said she attributes some of the lower hunter numbers in 81/83 to bears. It's cool country, can definitely find some alone space if you aren't too worried about bears.

Can't really imagine hunting 81/83 without horses and I'm a backcountry backpack hunter. I've been in the edges of both. Not really that rough, but getting into the heart of them and then getting an elk out on your back while dealing with bears would be a challenge. I would say that is one of the major reasons hunter numbers are low. A lot of units with easier access and hunting that is good.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back