Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Best Wild Game You Have Ever Made

Best ever? Humm
It's all good.
I do like BBQ ( you southern boys it's probably more like Grilled on my BBQ) crane breast with chockcheey BBQ sause.
Wild asparagus and baby potatos.

I feel like I have two answers to this - there's the best thing I've ever made, and the thing I'm most proud of (because it wasn't a slam dunk)
Best thing I've ever made was the tenderloin from my buck last year. It took almost no effort - salt, pepper, and a hot cast iron skillet. Took a few minutes, and it was incredible.
Thing I'm most proud of was a beautiful Chile Verde I made. It wasn't a particularly complicated recipe, but it was so freaking good. Took some thinking, planning, and adjustments to the inital recipe, but I was so happy with the results.

I feel like I have two answers to this - there's the best thing I've ever made, and the thing I'm most proud of (because it wasn't a slam dunk)
Best thing I've ever made was the tenderloin from my buck last year. It took almost no effort - salt, pepper, and a hot cast iron skillet. Took a few minutes, and it was incredible.
Thing I'm most proud of was a beautiful Chile Verde I made. It wasn't a particularly complicated recipe, but it was so freaking good. Took some thinking, planning, and adjustments to the inital recipe, but I was so happy with the results.
Let's see ... there's buck whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, goat, hare, and rat. Likely not one of the latter three.

I can't narrow it down. We eat wild game almost every meal except when we want poultry (not good bird hunting in these parts and the few we get are eaten quickly).
It seems that fried squirrel is a favorite mainly because it brings back memories when I was a kid and we would gather at grandma's in the fall and eat squirrel, mashed potatoes and gravy.
My wife loves simple grilled venison (mule deer, whitetail, antelope, or elk) steak, asparagus and salad.
View attachment 222357
Fried squirrel is near the top of my list as well. I soak mine in buttermilk for 8-12 hours and then fry it up. It's so good.

I have several that I have done that really stand out. Whitetail backstrap marinated and smoked to medium rare is up there as one of my all time favorites. Fried squirrel is up there as well. Feral pig slow cooker tacos are always a favorite. And one of my favorites is the elk roast pastrami that I made. All very good.

Pretty simple for me, but fish and chips shore lunch fried in a cast iron Dutch oven, baked beans warmed in the can over an open fire and a couple nice big slabs of garden fresh tomatoes lightly salted and peppered. Washed down with a cold beer. a slight breeze blowing to keep the mosquitoes at bay, kids swimming and fishing off the back of the boat until lunch is ready, everyone packs up their boat heads back out and fishes the rest of the day!

Fresh heart lightly battered and fried with onions in butter with a smoked then seared medium rare loin is pretty high on my list too.

I really enjoy most of it but Moose heart in the cast iron skillet really stands out. As well as anything made with dove, those things are so fun to shoot and equally as fun to eat.

Back