Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best State to have a Hunting Retreat as a NR

Alaska is awesome. Just sayin'...
I can't argue that. One of our first backpacking adventures was to POW where we had a Blacktail tag and drew one of the bear tags for the fall season. Was able to harvest both and it was a damn hard hunt but so beautiful and rewarding. I want to go back there every fall!

I’m sure you are right. Just seems annoying that people wanna build a house in a remote area to retreat to once or twice a year and then the same people complain that there just isn’t as much wild uninhabited places as there used to be. 😂
Agreed. I work for a high end Montana custom home builder. I've seen a lot of stuff. Not just here either. We've done projects in Idaho, Wyoming and New Mexico. Wealthy folks like to hang out in the "outdoors". mtmuley

Agreed. I work for a high end Montana custom home builder. I've seen a lot of stuff. Not just here either. We've done projects in Idaho, Wyoming and New Mexico. Wealthy folks like to hang out in the "outdoors". mtmuley

I’m in NC and we have some beautiful mountains but the rich people in Charlotte love having a second home along a trout stream.

I'm working to move permanently where people might visit once a year, haha. If I could afford a second property to visit a couple times a year, it'd be a shack like Rinella's in AK.

I'm working to move permanently where people might visit once a year, haha. If I could afford a second property to visit a couple times a year, it'd be a shack like Rinella's in AK.
That's how we're starting. Got a place for "a place" while looking for "the" place. Paid cash, so now it's also collateral in case we need it.

Yeah, but aren't you moving? :unsure:
Dave, have you ever owned a second home or camp? I’ve had a Lake house and currently have a hunting camp house. Just like a year round home, they require maintenance. I can get to my camp in 1.5 hours. No problem running over and getting things done. A place across the country is a whole different ball game. You’ll need a local caretaker or maintenance man. If not, you’ll spend every trip working on the place.

Dave, have you ever owned a second home or camp? I’ve had a Lake house and currently have a hunting camp house. Just like a year round home, they require maintenance. I can get to my camp in 1.5 hours. No problem running over and getting things done. A place across the country is a whole different ball game. You’ll need a local caretaker or maintenance man. If not, you’ll spend every trip working on the place.

Back