Best State to have a Hunting Retreat as a NR

Sorry for getting off topic!

I would not call the Colorado seasons NR friendly when compared with Montana, simply due to length. You need to make commitments to exact dates and if I wanted a hunting retreat, I would want someplace I could show up and be on my own time.

The idea of a little plot of land in the mountains with a cabin to get away to does sound pretty awesome. I also think though, that a nice truck and travel trailer combo would be my preference.. take it anywhere you want. Could always buy a patch of land to park it if desired.

I kinda wonder if vacation homes are now more nostalgia and a product of a different era... or maybe just tax bracket...

My family has a lake house in the mts of CO, my grand parents purchased it in the 1950s and the family would go up there for the entire summer, my grandfather would commute back and forth to Denver during the week. Now my dad's 3 siblings and I own it jointly... no one goes up there more than a weekend or 2, the entire time your there your doing maintenance, we rent it all summer to cover costs. No one actually uses it but my aunts and uncles wont sell it because of nostalgia... it's the biggest time suck/everyone would be so much better off it we could let it go... but they have this idyllic image of 1965 when they were all in elementary school playing by the lake with mom and dad.

I would so much rather sell it, invest the proceeds and then rent out a cabin for a week during the summer and let the owners deal with cleaning and up keep so that during my vacation I could be on vacation.

Vacation homes are definitely a relic of the baby boomer generation just like McMansions they are a waste of time and resources.

Idaho has the fastest or second fastest population growth of any state. So the secret is out.

That’s the story of the West. Dude ranchers, outfitters, fishing guides etc all market a wilderness solitude experience to people who are free to fall in love with it, move in and ruin it. The Rocky Mountain West has always had that tension.
And it ain't just the west. This rings true in the wilder, more beautiful parts of the east, as well.

Thinking outside the box:

Our family "getaway" is a lot we bought in an RV park in the mountains of CO. We own the lot outright. HOA rules allow 2 RVs (including Park Models) and a shed on the lot, which is 50x100 ft. The HOA there operates a fishing lake, indoor swimming pool, clubhouse w social activities, archery range, playgrounds, hiking/riding trails, horse corral, tennis courts, year-round bathhouses w showers, laundry, toilets, sort of a golf course, wifi. Half the lots have sewer and water, all have electric service. A propane service picks up and delivers in the park. Park is gated w year-round resident caretakers. We pay county real estate tax, metered utilities and annual HOA dues. Owners can use their lots for a max of 183 days/year, per county rule. Most owners winterize their RVs since it stays way below freezing there from fall to spring. A few spend a month there in the winter to access skiing. The location is great for mountain recreation, w public lands (national forest, state park/reservoir, state wildlife area) on every boundary except the highway it fronts. The HOA plows roads in the winter, maintains grounds and facilities, enforces rules, collects dues and pays the bills.

We considered mountain cabins, condos and interval ownerships before deciding on this option. It costs us less than 25% of the other options, including purchase, taxes, dues, utilities, maintenance. Our lot has appreciated in value in the 7 years we have owned it. Many owners live within a few hours as we do. Many others live in TX, KS, OK, and other states. They come for a few months in the summer, hunting season, etc. https://www.campgroundoftherockies.com/

IMG_0429.JPG

The idea of a little plot of land in the mountains with a cabin to get away to does sound pretty awesome. I also think though, that a nice truck and travel trailer combo would be my preference.. take it anywhere you want. Could always buy a patch of land to park it if desired.

^^^^. our plan was to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home someday. but after putting the numbers to paper, it just did not make sense. with a nice wall tent or camper, as long as there is public land I will always have a vacation retreat.

Camped with a pop-up for years and now fifth-wheel. Great for family and I've rented many spots with a view. When I settle down, my fishing camp will be a lot that I can set up with an RV pad, power pole, shed, etc. and put my camper there when I want. Have thought about the same thing for mountain lot in AZ. Off the grid is fine since campers are easy to set up with solar, batteries, and generators.

I'm not worried about a lot immediate to elk hunting. Hunting draws its just not practical. Hope to be near OTC deer (AZ) which is pretty easy.

^^^^. our plan was to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home someday. but after putting the numbers to paper, it just did not make sense. with a nice wall tent or camper, as long as there is public land I will always have a vacation retreat.
I'm a bit of a rambler anyway.. It would be hard to settle on just one spot. It would be a nice option to hitch up and change the scenery whenever you felt like it.

Wow. Never imagined my question would generate this much discussion. Thank you all for the replies. Definitely a lot to think about.

I have several friends who have bought hunting cabins and it is something I have considered often. In my experience the people who are happiest with it are the people who already have an area that they love and want to go to all the time. I would love to buy a piece of land so that I can start planting trees and improving it so it can be the way I want when I retire and hopefully build a nice cabin. but kinda in the same position as you in that I do not know exactly were. I have came to the conclusion that in the long run I will be better served using the money to explore the country Until I find that spot that I never want to leave and spend all my spare time.

Wow. Never imagined my question would generate this much discussion. Thank you all for the replies. Definitely a lot to think about.

We were chatting with the family this week about the cabin, upcoming maintenance, etc. Made me think of this thread. Here’s a synopsis of a typical cabin meeting:

-how many trips were made this winter (via snowshoe -no vehicle access) to clear snow from the roof.
-whether anyone has checked the road this spring. (It’s washed out a few times and cut off access)
-list of repairs and improvements for this summer
-good old times spent up there in years past. Long tangent of storytelling.
-who might have friends to come help with the annual wildfire defensible space work. Who’s going to bring the chainsaw/weed eater this time.
-How are we looking for split wood, and does someone need to split more.
-Vandalism issues (luckily not the cabin this time. It’s been broken into several times over the years).
-possible get-togethers this summer
-taxes, fees and maintenance costs

I’m sure all of this depends on the location, but this is an example of the work and planning we need to do in a typical year.

Albeit not a hunting retreat per se, our young family discussed a cabin and property, specifically SW Co while escaping a week of Texas summer. It did not materialize as many of the items on Hunting Wife's list, logistics, and budgetary realities simply could not reconcile with renting. We still visit the same place...it's barely changed except for the newer owners looking more fatigued each year.

Ozzy

I agree with Hunting wife and several others on this thread.

We never even invested in a "time-share" in some exotic place simply because we did not want to go to the same place each year, whether hunting, fishing or otherwise. We ( the family ) did not always want to spend our vacation time hunting. Maybe fishing, maybe scuba diving, Octoberfest in Germany, Carnival in Brazil, Las Vegas,, Tahiti, etc, etc, etc or, if hunting, maybe Africa, Alaska, Argentina, Australia, instead of wherever the cabin was, if we had bought one.

Or if you want a more rural setting to enjoy ( and I dont know where you live ) find a place within an hour to 4 hours from where you live that you can drive to on Friday night and back on sunday night that allows you to have a bit more elbow room, maybe even a horse or two. But you could get there more often --even Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of july, etc.

Or, buy a travel trailer and drive to Colorado, Wy, Montana, or Idaho each year----plus any other state you might decide to explore with the family

Or, folks rent out their cabins these days, decide where you want to go next year, find a cabin close to that area and reserve a cabin.

Obviously, this approach does not give you the possibility of getting some return on your money when you sell the property ---but reread hunting Wife post --if you keep track of ALL your expenses over the years to take care of the property the return on investment might not be that great

My folks built a cabin on a piece of family land, with the idea of retiring there. This was a well-known and well-used location by them, so they thought they knew exactly what they were getting in to. They sold the place 3 years ago.

Several unanticipated issues cropped up resulting in abandoning the plan:

1. Vandalism, theft, and trespassing, even when they were at the property
2. Rounds being fired at game from adjacent areas that hit their trees, outbuildings, etc.
3. 50-100% more snow removal than they were used to due to the higher elevation / colder climate. Failure to remove snow and/or rake roof caused ice dams and flooding inside the cabin.
4. Everything is closed during the off-season. It was too quiet, too isolated, too boring from Jan-April when about the only thing people do is ice fish and snowmobile, and they didn't do either.
5. More trips were taken for maintenance, upkeep, and emergencies than for having fun. Even when they moved there, they realized how much work it was to maintain a large isolated property in their 60s, and had neither the youthful vigor nor wanted to pay someone to come and do most of this for them.
6. Friends and family who expressed interest in joining them at this place did not actually show up nearly as often as they thought they would, which turned out to be a major disappointment for them as this was probably the #1 reason they built the place.
7. Heat was from a woodstove, which was more work than they bargained for with cleaning, hauling wood, etc.

This summer they are renting a cabin on a lake for a week and having the kids and grandkids join them. It's pretty much everything they wanted in their owned cabin, except they get to walk away from the obligations at the end of the week. This winter my dad made a trip to a POW for 2 weeks and had a blast. He realized he would rather put his energy and effort into enjoying the outdoors, rather than having to work outside on maintenance.

I still like the idea of owning recreational ground, but I'm planning on doing it differently. My plan is to buy a place where I can build a shed for all my toys so I don't have to haul them back and forth from where we live in central IA. Simple but efficient.

As a NR, Wisconsin for deer, water skiing and walleye fishing.

If I were you, I would just say screw it and become a Wyoming resident. Still miss it. Only lived there 6 years, but loved every minute. Even the winters.

I don't even like how residents are treated here in Colorado, so can't assume it's better for NR.

Found this thread searching as my wife and I for a few years have been saving and trying to figure out what to do with that money. The idea has changed quite a bit over that time as we have made more and more trips out west and to AK.

At this point in time the concept we are most set on is buying a parcel of land in agreement and contract with a 2 to 3 other people and just have a wall tent setup on it. The dream would be a small property (less than 100 acres) with a private road that borders a large piece of public. Public access is 5 plus miles on the other side. We have actually found a few of these places for sale in our searching but what has held us back from purchasing is 2 things:
1) the location of the property is in a unit with super rare elk/deer tags (ie 10 plus years for a NR to draw any sort of bull elk tag)
2) I don't have that 2nd and 3rd buddy ready to pull the trigger. Do those exist out there? Lol

We decided that owning it solo just isn't worth the investment. 1 to 2 trips a year just doesn't justify it.

Found this thread searching as my wife and I for a few years have been saving and trying to figure out what to do with that money. The idea has changed quite a bit over that time as we have made more and more trips out west and to AK.

At this point in time the concept we are most set on is buying a parcel of land in agreement and contract with a 2 to 3 other people and just have a wall tent setup on it. The dream would be a small property (less than 100 acres) with a private road that borders a large piece of public. Public access is 5 plus miles on the other side. We have actually found a few of these places for sale in our searching but what has held us back from purchasing is 2 things:
1) the location of the property is in a unit with super rare elk/deer tags (ie 10 plus years for a NR to draw any sort of bull elk tag)
2) I don't have that 2nd and 3rd buddy ready to pull the trigger. Do those exist out there? Lol

We decided that owning it solo just isn't worth the investment. 1 to 2 trips a year just doesn't justify it.
Just noticed where you are from. My folks have a trailer on Little Green Lake!

Alaska is awesome. Just sayin'... We have a small cabin with some utilities and it's great for a home base to go elsewhere. Should be up there next month.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back