Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best resource for finding a spot for 37’ travel trailer for CO Elk hunt?

Archery or rifle? I see tons of huge trailers next to FS roads during archery season.

I don't take my 31 footer too far off the pavement. Gravel roads are usually safe, but just two-track roads can be a recipe for a real rodeo getting it out if it gets sloppy. In general, the BLM land is a bit more flat-spot-friendly than USFS land. Most good spots have evidence of someone else setting up a camper there. If you're pulling a Magellan into into some undiscovered country, I'd have a good plan for getting out if the weather turns. I'm sure you already know this, but try and set up in the daylight if possible.

OP needs to watch the footage of Randy's bison hunt in the Henry's. Stuff happens, and happens fast. I tow goose necks up to 32 feet for work some times. No way in Hell I take a 37 foot bumper pull in the hills. I'm assuming bumper being a 1/2 ton Toyota. mtmuley

I'm very conservative pulling trailers, my experience with tundras is I wouldn't go over 26' max. Everyone I know with campers that big all have 1 ton trucks. I'm sure your tundra can pull it, but once you get a headwind or start pulling through the mountains, it's going to be real slow and it will be hard on the truck. Their weight rating doesn't take anything into account the size of the trailer ie wind drag, those things are like pulling a sail.

Well, you asked if someone had experience and good advice. Don’t venture more than a few hundred feet off a county gravel or forest service road. Second season rifle can give you an unexpected weather treat. I know Keystone claims Cougar’s are 4 season trailers. I had ours to 5’ F but don’t expect it to be a true 4 season trailer. Not knocking Keystone but it is a sales pitch that all the makers claim. Bring a set of chains for the trailer too. You don’t want it passing you by on an icy mountain road. The safe towing capacity of a vehicle is more than a simple weight calculation. Length of wheelbase of towing vehicle also figures into length of trailer. I’ve seen a couple nasty events with high crosswinds and oversized trailers up my way in the Fall.
I didn’t bother to research your vehicle and trailer but an example of tow vehicle’s weight is empty bed with one 150# driver. Passenger, firewood, etc. is extra.
We sold our trailer and use a wall tent camp now. Wood stove etc.
Enjoy your trailer and hunt. A little extra driving is well worth the trade off of the extra comfort you will enjoy.

Well, you asked if someone had experience and good advice. Don’t venture more than a few hundred feet off a county gravel or forest service road. Second season rifle can give you an unexpected weather treat. I know Keystone claims Cougar’s are 4 season trailers. I had ours to 5’ F but don’t expect it to be a true 4 season trailer. Not knocking Keystone but it is a sales pitch that all the makers claim. Bring a set of chains for the trailer too. You don’t want it passing you by on an icy mountain road. The safe towing capacity of a vehicle is more than a simple weight calculation. Length of wheelbase of towing vehicle also figures into length of trailer. I’ve seen a couple nasty events with high crosswinds and oversized trailers up my way in the Fall.
I didn’t bother to research your vehicle and trailer but an example of tow vehicle’s weight is empty bed with one 150# driver. Passenger, firewood, etc. is extra.
We sold our trailer and use a wall tent camp now. Wood stove etc.
Enjoy your trailer and hunt. A little extra driving is well worth the trade off of the extra comfort you will enjoy.
Thanks for the input! Will get chains.
We’re going to camp at a full hook up site that’s not to high up. Will have to drive a lot farther to trailhead but that’s fine. We can catch up on sleep when we get home and it’ll be nice to come back to the amenities each day.

A big snow (big to me) hit two days before our Wyoming deer hunt last season. It was rough, but I got back into the unit and found a tent spot driving my 4x4 pickup. Next came the rigs like the OP mentioned. Just above us, it got steeper and the snow deeper. The first rig started to jack knife. They had to chain up right there and eventually get turned around. I’m thinking a 37’ trailer is too big for most of the elk country. Listen to the others and camp lower where it’ll be no problem getting out.

Some folks might say that one of the better ways to guarentee nasty weather is to push the envelope of getting up and in. OP I like your plan and wish you a fantastic adventure.

Thanks for the input! Will get chains.
We’re going to camp at a full hook up site that’s not to high up. Will have to drive a lot farther to trailhead but that’s fine. We can catch up on sleep when we get home and it’ll be nice to come back to the amenities each day.
Years ago I never thought I would stay in a campground while hunting. Normally I just need an old log landing or a nice wide spot to park my trailer. About 20 years ago while hunting in Idaho the weather turned bad (good for hunting) and we had to chain up the 4x4 trucks just to get around. Fortunately we were not far from a good road and we got out OK. After that we now stay in an improved campground and it has spoiled me when hunting in bad weather. This is the only campground I have ever stayed in with full hookups and my wife loves it. You never run out of water and your batteries are always charged.
If you have to drive a long way to hunt don't return to camp in the middle of the day. Stay out all day and take a nap on a hillside somewhere.
Good luck I think you made a wise decision to stay in a campground. If after hunting the area you decide you can get your trailer in further then you can do that another year.

You don't mention how much experience you haver with RVs so I will give you a few tips. We have had RVs for over 35 years and have seen a lot of different things happen. The biggest surprise to most new users is how fast they run out of water and fill up the holding tanks. I have had others use my sink and shower in years past and we were out of water in one day. Never leave the water running when doing dishes or brushing your teeth and so on. Only use as much lighting as you need to so your batteries last as long as possible. I know we all have generators but running them for hours and hours is a pain. My wife and I can easily stay a week in a remote area and not run out of water and I only need to use the generator an hour per day. By myself I can go twice as long and on a 3 day hunt I may not run the generator at all. Of course with you staying in a campground with hookups the first year this won't be a problem.
When towing your trailer you may be able to go 70+ mph but in my experience 60 mph is a lot safer and easier. Trailers aren't really designed to go 70 and if you have a lot of wind things can go bad quickly at the higher speeds. I am very conservative and tow a 21' 5500 pound trailer with my F250 and I still need to be careful in the mountains or in really windy areas.

I'll second what was posted above, a flat area for that trailer up high is hard to come by go early it is not a waste of time, you can use the extra time to scout your hunting area.

OP, here is another suggestion for you. Join this forum. Lots of knowledgeable good folks over there. I gleaned tons of information when we owned ours.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back