Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best Raffle Tag Odds?

nontyp

Looking at the draw odds for places like Nevada makes me think that money could probably be better “invested” in some raffle type tag draws. So what are some “off the radar” tag raffles that don’t have astronomical odds? For example, I have heard that if you actually go to Sheep Show and get into the drawing, you have a better chance than most state draw odds. Same thing with the Western Hunt Expo in Utah. What else am I missing?

I think you have the idea. Some of the best odds are going to be some of the smaller groups that have local banquets. Some of the worst are going to be highly publicized online drawings. None of them are very good odds though. I would look into which ones would better utilize your money when you donate it to them because that is what 99.X% of the people are doing when you enter a raffle.

The other thing to be aware of with raffles is that the fancy guided hunts with the high values are generally going to be taxable to the person who wins them. If you actually just get a hard to draw tag you generally wouldn't have the same tax issues.

Depends if you want them to stay off the radar. 🤐
Haha...yeah that’s true. On that note just PM me all the best stuff! 😉 I do understand the nature of keeping things quiet, but on this topic I think most of the best odds raffles are due to a limited number of tickets being sold. Obviously don’t post anything that’s going to hurt your odds of drawing something.

Take the ticket price * the number of tickets (known or expected) and divide by 100 then compare that number across different raffles. Or just forget the math and put in for whatever because "your'e sayin' there's a chance"

I like the shows and banquets. I'll toss $ because I believe in their efforts to promote conservation. Granted, my focus is mainly RMEF and DU though I've frequently tossed $ at others. If I win (which I've not won a species hunt) that would be great!!! Though I have no anticipation based on odds vs the $ I'm willing to donate.

I've won pother items and enjoy the heck out of conservation, etc auctions... It's enjoyable/fun to [participate in a worthy cause.

I think you are spot on with the drawing odds as a NR for select species. Better chance with raffles at shows/banquets than NR tags, aside from building points.

There are no real secrets. You either pay for a guaranteed tag/guided hunt, or play the odds. The odds range from really bad to terrible for state draws or raffle hunts unless you happen to have max points in a preference point state.

Well I know of one that is $100 for 1 in 500 odds fannin hunt with a good outfitter. I will be buying a ticket or 2 for that one.

Proceeds from raffle will go towards projects like this one.
Thread 'Little Belt Bighorn Transplant' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/little-belt-bighorn-transplant.303820/
500 tickets x 100$ that's 50K in donations for hunt that is probably 30K or so. Yes it may have be donated or bought at reduced price, yet numbers like that are more than reasonable.

However when you start collecting 200k plus for 40K hunts, I tend to think its bit much to ask...over and over of the same people.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any raffles looking to raise 200k on a 40k hunt. Can I get a few examples of these raffles? More important to me is what will the money being raised go for, and what outfitter is providing the hunt. There are some hunts not worth doing no matter what the odds are.

You can check each States websites. I was surprised how many "Gov" tags are given out to various charities in WY for instance. Some are better odds than others, I usually buy a few tickets each year as you never know. Probably better odds than my NM elk tag selections.

My favorite is the governor bison tag in wyoming raffle: $10, limit 1 and must be resident.

Back