Best Puffy Pants?

I just picked up a pair of the Kings Camo XKG Transition Down Pants. They are so warm and comfy. I am really impressed with them. They have a 3/4 zipper and are 650 fill. I can't wait to sit and do some long glassing sessions.

I picked them up for $135 at Sportsman's Warehouse for a Black Friday Sale.

The only ones I have used were the Mountain Hardwear Compressor pants. They lost their loft rapidly after a few compression cycles.
I am contemplating a pair of down ones from Goosefeet Gear or Nunatak.

A pair of thinsulate or pima loft would be fine with me, but I've never found any that I like.

Hey guys,

Im going on a super cold weather hunt in January. I need a pair of puffy pants. I have everything else. They need to be decently light but they really need to be WARM. I want to spend $200 or less would be great. Im considering First Lite Uncompahgre Pant, UA Alpine Ops Pant, and KUIU Super Down Ultra Pant. For the most part these are all around $200 (I have a kuiu coupon). Maybe I can get a good deal on black friday. Anyway, have any of you used these pants in temps below 0? What was the result?

TIA
Great choice on pants!

I use the First Lite puffies, they do the trick.

For stand/blind hunts I have a pair of surplus US Army Primaloft pants, they're definitely heavier than my First Lite but they are still somewhat easy to pack on short distances.

When it comes to real cold, nothing beats Canadian Army parka/bib set up but it's too heavy to pack around other than on your person.

Montbell. These are my favorite down pant for packability, light and oz./warmth. No frills, straight up lightweight, warmth and packability.

If someone would make something like this with synthetic and for half the price, I'd buy it. Especially if they would slide over my regular pants. They are probably out there somewhere, but I have not found them yet.

The uncompaghre pants are nice. Fit is good. I layer them over a couple things for a treestand sit and a couple times the waist button has popped open, but they keep me warm. I have the kuiu zipoff bottoms and they have a super awkward fit, so I didnt want to risk buying their puffy pants in case the proportions were similar.
X2 on the fit, also i waffled between down and synthetic but went with the synthetic uncompaghre, glad I did, my down jacket got a little “matted” sitting in the stand during cold rain this month but my uncompaghre pants did not.

Also the material of these pants is way quieter than you would expect, absolutely a top layer option for sitting in a stand.

X2 on the fit, also i waffled between down and synthetic but went with the synthetic uncompaghre, glad I did, my down jacket got a little “matted” sitting in the stand during cold rain this month but my uncompaghre pants did not.

Also the material of these pants is way quieter than you would expect, absolutely a top layer option for sitting in a stand.
Uncompaghre pants outer material is much quieter than the material Kuiu uses on their Super Down jacket (original one...not sure about the newer version) and gloves.

Mil surplus ECWS puffy pants (cheap)
M65 liner pants (damn near free @ sub-$15).

The m65 with your rain pants over em would be a very cheap and light combo for glassing.

I dont have enough experience with the Sitka/FL variants to comment.

Kings camo came out with a puffy pant that I’m interested in. At this point any of them grab my eye. I’m tired of being cold.

Western Mountaineering with the gore windstopper on seat and knees.

I've found that I never will wear them if moving as I warm up quickly, not to mention that any puffy pant would shred unless more heavy than you'd want to deal with. So if glassing or in camp then it made sense to go thicker and warmer than I saw in the "hunting" space. The guys doing mountaineering are tough as nails with gear to handle extremes.

The WM pants have worked well for me with a significant boost in warmth, plus are super light. I actually put them in my pack during winter day hikes as well as my puffy jacket as they weigh next to nothing but add some warmth protection in case of an emergency.

Cheers,

s

Last edited:
Kuiu vs. custom GooseFeet Gear.

Attachments

• AFA1F3F4-28C5-4408-8BB2-1D851CF35B36.jpeg
    AFA1F3F4-28C5-4408-8BB2-1D851CF35B36.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 7B436519-2E15-4E29-9272-8C95E548CE0C.jpeg
    7B436519-2E15-4E29-9272-8C95E548CE0C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 04E0A26A-DE83-4F0B-AC5B-B413476BFA87.jpeg