MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best Puffy Pants?

SCliving Outdoors

Hey guys,

Im going on a super cold weather hunt in January. I need a pair of puffy pants. I have everything else. They need to be decently light but they really need to be WARM. I want to spend $200 or less would be great. Im considering First Lite Uncompahgre Pant, UA Alpine Ops Pant, and KUIU Super Down Ultra Pant. For the most part these are all around $200 (I have a kuiu coupon). Maybe I can get a good deal on black friday. Anyway, have any of you used these pants in temps below 0? What was the result?

TIA

I've used puffy pants from Mountain Hardwear, Montbell, Rab, Integral Designs, and Western Mountaineering, maybe others I forget. I used to ice climb a bunch so I wore them real regularly. IME if it's that cold there's really no issue with getting them wet. I've not used any of those you mention but all seem adequate. It annoys me to no end when makers don't spec how much down fill or what the g/m2 of synthetic insulation is. Of the three you list FL is the only who does. Makes it real hard to compare without that data.

I have the uncompahgre and they have been great. Really like the look of those new Sitka 3/4 length too. Be sure to look at non hunting specific brands as well.

I've played with the new Sitka Kelvin Lite pants for better part of a year now. I've found them to be very durable and very warm. Only complaint is they are 3/4 length.
They just did anF&F discount. I'm not sure if it's still running
But they should be on your short list.

I've played with the new Sitka Kelvin Lite pants for better part of a year now. I've found them to be very durable and very warm. Only complaint is they are 3/4 length.
They just did anF&F discount. I'm not sure if it's still running
But they should be on your short list.
Im not a fan of the 3/4 length and they are $100 more.

I've used puffy pants from Mountain Hardwear, Montbell, Rab, Integral Designs, and Western Mountaineering, maybe others I forget. I used to ice climb a bunch so I wore them real regularly. IME if it's that cold there's really no issue with getting them wet. I've not used any of those you mention but all seem adequate. It annoys me to no end when makers don't spec how much down fill or what the g/m2 of synthetic insulation is. Of the three you list FL is the only who does. Makes it real hard to compare without that data.
The kuiu is 850 fill and the UA is 800.

Looking at the same pants. My buddy has the Kuiu's and really likes them. He used them during opening weekend in MT when it was single digits to below zero and had no issues sitting there glassing for long stretches.

I think I've settled on First Lite. I looked at North Face and other non hunting brands, and all seemed to have good reviews. Price and performance seemingly being equal I like what First Lite does in the hunting community.

+1 for the First Lite uncompahgre. I've worn them in single digits and they did well. Probably the lightest and warmest you'll find are the Western Mountaineering flight pants but they are $300.

I've been a fan of first lite clothing since started trying some. I have the catalyst jacket and pants and they have done good for me hunting out of a stand into the 20s

Have Nunatak build the exact pair you want with the type and quantity of fill you’re after.

I have a pair of the Stone Glaciers and like them, but personally would like them with twice the fill they offer.

Watching.....my buddy had the first lite on our deer hunt last week and man do they seem nice. Might have to get some but I'd need a long version if available.

Have a buddy in military that likes these GI ECWS version...curious if anyone here has tried them for hunting?

Ecwcs pants: well made, cheap, fairly bulky and heavy but very warm. I have a couple pairs and like them a lot for bringing up to a glassing spot and not freezing to death. I don’t worry about snagging them on brush because they are tough. Sizing is a little odd, I think medium-long is probably ideal for a standard size 6’ 180 lb guy. I have mediums and they could stand to be a tad longer but waist size is good. I’m a fan.
made in USA.

The uncompaghre pants are nice. Fit is good. I layer them over a couple things for a treestand sit and a couple times the waist button has popped open, but they keep me warm. I have the kuiu zipoff bottoms and they have a super awkward fit, so I didnt want to risk buying their puffy pants in case the proportions were similar.

Watching.....my buddy had the first lite on our deer hunt last week and man do they seem nice. Might have to get some but I'd need a long version if available.

Have a buddy in military that likes these GI ECWS version...curious if anyone here has tried them for hunting?

I have a pair as well. As mentioned already, somewhat heavy but super warm and durable. My only complaint is the pants need a belt or suspenders, the elastic waist doesn't hold mine up very well.

I have the UA Ridge Reaper puffy pants and am surprisingly impressed by them. Compared to my FL Unpronounceable Puffy top, it is way less fragile. Retail is $200 and there are 40% coupon codes, so you’re talking $120. Pm me if you need a code

I have the FirstLites that I use for long, cold glassing sits. They’re really warm and easy to just zip on over whatever you’re wearing. They kept me downright toasty on a couple single digit mornings last month.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back