Best powder for 338WM?

GlockZ

Just wondering what everyone is using powder wise for the 338WM when reloading? I've been using H4350 & IMR 4350 for a while now with good results. Have been floating back & forth between the Nosler 200gr. CT & AB , and also the 210 gr. PT. Have tried the Hornady SST's in 225gr., not very accurate in my rifle, and the SST"s do have a tendency of shredding down to nothing in most cases, even though they do get the job done.

I have 8 pounds of IMR 4350 so that’s what I have been using. Pushing 225 ttsx

With the 210 Nosler I have settled on RL 19. Other powders such as IMR 4350 have also worked well but I liked the RL 19 slightly better.

I've used H4350 and H4831sc with good results. RL 19 is supposed to yield good velocity. I've been wanting to try something a little slower like H1000. Powder capacity might he an issue with that one

I've used the 200/210gr Noslers exclusively and have settled on Reloader 15. Gives up very little speed, kicks way less, and kills just fine. 65gr is about max.

IMR4831 is what I settled on for my .338 WM. I've shot both 250 gr Accubonds and 210 gr Barnes and have really liked both loads.

I've used H4350 and H4831sc with good results. RL 19 is supposed to yield good velocity. I've been wanting to try something a little slower like H1000. Powder capacity might he an issue with that one

I'm getting around 2950 FPS with 225 Barnes TTSX using a stout load of RL19. I've never found a reason to change powder for my 338 WM, but have tried various 4350's, etc and not had as much luck as with RL19.

I used to hear that RL19 was very temperature sensitive but I believe that has since been resolved. RL19 showed the highest velocity on about every manual I looked at.

I'm using RL16 with Nosler 200 grain Ballistic Tips. I haven't pushed it to max velocity but accuracy has been good. I just bought some Barnes 185 grain bullets to try. I think I'm going to start with RL15, as I'm hoping to keep the recoil on the light side.

My personal absolute favorite powder for the .338 win mag is hands down, Reloader 17. Followed by Reloader 19.
Best velocity by far and great accuracy.

That's what I had read several places though I dont have first hand knowledge of it. I thought I had seen where they'd became more temp stable much like Hodgdons extreme line but I could be wrong on that.

Temp stable powders aren't going to be a noticeable difference until you start trying to group out past 400-500yrds and quite frankly I have used Reloader 22 in the 300 win mag out to 600yrds in many extremely different weather conditions with no noticable difference. I averaged the same size and point of impact exactly at 500 and elevation was only up and down 3 inches at 600. Hard to say that was temp or shooter in my opinion.
But if you want to shoot a thousand yards at the range or just make yourself feel better, then you can worry about temp insensitivity if you like.
For practical ranges I don't get concerned with it.

Temp stable powders aren't going to be a noticeable difference until you start trying to group out past 400-500yrds and quite frankly I have used Reloader 22 in the 300 win mag out to 600yrds in many extremely different weather conditions with no noticable difference. I averaged the same size and point of impact exactly at 500 and elevation was only up and down 3 inches at 600. Hard to say that was temp or shooter in my opinion.
But if you want to shoot a thousand yards at the range or just make yourself feel better, then you can worry about temp insensitivity if you like.
For practical ranges I don't get concerned with it.

Once the bullet leaves the barrel, what does temperature sensitivity of the powder have to do with anything?

RL-19 with the Barnes 225 TTSX

74.5gr = 2700 fps in my friend's 338 WM, and did a great job on elk this year.
We tested from 72.0 to 75.0gr every 0.5gr. The 100 yard 3-shot group was 0.2845 inches with the 74.5.
He liked it so much that we loaded the remainder of his brass with the same load. Those 99 should last him a while.

With MRP I get 3040FPS plus it is very accurate. I would also try RL26 because it usually gives a little more speed, and

probably more stable in cold weather. That is with the 210gr Partitions.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back