Best Place to Set Up in Middle TN?

TN Hunter

I have been hunting whitetail my whole life. I have always used land in which I knew where they traveled and could set up for easy ambush. I am now faced with a new piece of public land that I have never hunted (Laurel Hill WMA in TN). I have used ONx Maps and Google Maps to find what I think to be likely areas where I could set up in the morning. The land is hilly with a maximum altitude of 1100ft above MSL. There are large swaths of mixed forest and plenty of oak and water sources. There are a few small open fields and know that will be a gathering spot for everyone else. What type of terrain would I be looking for to get the best opportunity for my son for opening day of Youth Hunt in this type of terrain. Peak Rut here is Mid November. Thnak you all in advance for all of your help!

That's a hard question to answer since most on here live and hunt 1500+ miles to your left. But I hunt in kinda similar terrain.
I've taken my kids, now grown, on many successful public land youth hunts, and we have always favored hunting close to thickets that are bedding areas. Most of the bucks killed we're caught cruising the edges of the thickets around pre rut, and does were easy targets right at last/first light going to and from those bedding areas.
That's what we always done, and it worked.

I know that most of you are out west and I hope to get out there someday soon. I have a goal set for Public Land Elk hunting in Montana. I appreciate your feedback! I am constantly trying to become a better hunter and know that I will need to venture out of my comfort zone to do so.

I live in mid tn and have hunted in several areas around 1-2 hours of Nashville. Never hunted Laural hill though. I have had my best luck setting in a stand along a ridgeline near an oak tree with acorns or a persimmon tree if you can find one. Try to get up high. TN deer seem to walk around looking up so the better you can cover yourself with foliage, camo etc.. the better. If the rut is a fun time to hunt usually a lot of movement and it can be anywhere. I have had bucks at full sprint chasing does go right under my stand. ML and rifle seasons can get pretty crazy on public land in TN with the amount of huntets so be careful and have fun.

Find the cutovers and you’ll find the deer. Whitetails are edge animals. Where two types of habitat meet, you have a good spot. Where three types of habitat meet, you have a great spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back