Best paper map to order??

How about I-10 east of Butte?

The paper maps they make of Wilderness areas are entirely different and much better.

I didn't even catch that one Gomer. There could be a whole thread on this basemap's errors if we were to pan around other chunks of Montana. I'll have to check out their wilderness maps.

I have been wondering about this also. Thanks everyone for the input.

Does anyone have a specific scale they prefer for their maps?

I have been wondering about this also. Thanks everyone for the input.

Does anyone have a specific scale they prefer for their maps?

For hunting and scouting, I use 1:24000 with a UTM grid.

I then use the same, single-scale protractor (from MapTools.com) on USGS and MyTopo.com maps, without having to carry either multiple protractors or a military style, multi-scale protractor.

Arizona prints unit specific maps drawn by AZ Game and Fish for most units in Arizona. I don't know if they have one for Unit 1 or not. I know the ones we've used for Units 7, 8, 9 and 10 are awesome. Check with AZGFD and see if they have one for Unit 1. You might also try Wide World of Maps in Phoenix.

I loved the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps, but they don't have them for all areas. I just got my first ruggedmap, and I think I like it even more than the nat geo ones. It is tough and is very clear and shows great detail. I've gotten a mytopo map before, and I wasn't impressed with the one I got, so I wouldn't buy from them again. Maybe I had an odd experience compared to others though..

I’ve made some of my own, I like it because I can print a couple copies of each area and mark them up differently as needed.

There is a great company called Beartooth Maps. They are waterproof and durable. They used to be just for Montana but I think now they are doing them for a lot of the country.

^I like where it just says "LOST"...don't go to that spot

The National Geographic AGOL basemap is arguably the worst map I’ve ever seen.

The LOST is referring to a meadow called Lost Park. I assume because it had the word “park” in it they were thinking a different kind of park. It’s not a WSA or anything with an official boundary. It also disappears as you zoom in beyond that cached scale and never says anything other than LOST. Someone imagined a boundary and put it on the map as far as I can tell.

It’s also on fire right now, with potential. Thermal hotspots below.
BCC3173C-89F4-434C-A21C-04C4E4165F01.png

Caught the bug to go out west and hunt from watching Randy on Fresh Tracks. Got super lucky and drew my first elk tag (Arizona unit #1) with one point!!!!! I have subscribed to On X maps but was wondering what's the best place to order a paper map of the area. Thanks for the help.

I don't know where you are, but I thought I would toss out this suggestion. If you have a good library nearby, especially a university library, they may have a really well endowed map room. You may not be able to check them out, depending on your relationship with the institution, but you can at least page through all sorts of USGS, USFS, and other maps for almost any region in the country. Map rooms in libraries will probably not exist much longer, or may already be just memories at some institutions, but they are amazing places if you can find one, and usually the staff is bored out of their minds and eager to help anyone that walks in off the streets. At least that's been my experience.

I don't know where you are, but I thought I would toss out this suggestion. If you have a good library nearby, especially a university library, they may have a really well endowed map room. You may not be able to check them out, depending on your relationship with the institution, but you can at least page through all sorts of USGS, USFS, and other maps for almost any region in the country. Map rooms in libraries will probably not exist much longer, or may already be just memories at some institutions, but they are amazing places if you can find one, and usually the staff is bored out of their minds and eager to help anyone that walks in off the streets. At least that's been my experience.

If you get lucky the might be able to make a copy for you, or point you in the direction of where to buy a copy. My college had some sweet maps in our map room definitely worth checking out... although might not be particularly helpful for hunting.

Mytopo.com is great for printing a larger map. That said, I normally use caltopo.com and print on write-in-the rain paper or I'll laminate regular printer paper. Usually only takes 4-6 sheets of paper to cover the entire unit I plan to hunt if I print at 1:50k.

Do any of these maps have things like campgrounds, trails, trail heads, or MVUM layers?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back