Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Lightweight spotting scope option?

matmor

Looking to start backpack hunting more. What's the best spotting scope for backpacking, or should I just use more powerful binoculars?

I think a lot depends on the terrain. Where will you be hunting? And what are you hunting for? I've elk hunted places that had so much timber a spotting scope would have been useless.

I think a lot depends on the terrain. Where will you be hunting? And what are you hunting for? I've elk hunted places that had so much timber a spotting scope would have been useless.

Hunting in the west, hopefully spotting first then stalking into deep trees...

But binoculars are usefull in timber. A good pair of 10x42'S and a lightweight spotter would be a good set-up. mtmuley

Look around for a Minox MD 50, its small and light and won't cost too much. I picked mine up off cameraland.com for like $275 I think. Try it this year and if it works for you upgrade later. I mostly use mine for scouting ag fields and range work. Its no Vortex Razor but it works and is affordable. I may keep it and move up to a 65mm spotter in the next year or two just to have both.

But binoculars are usefull in timber. A good pair of 10x42'S and a lightweight spotter would be a good set-up. mtmuley

This is true. I always have my 10x42 Nikons with me. I have a Vanguard spotting scope that I rarely pack in because it's heavy. It's always in the truck and sometimes I take it on day hunts. I don't like to pack it in because of the weight and space that it takes up.

My Minox MD 50 goes everywhere with me. I picked mine up for 150, lightly used and it's been worth it's weight in gold in terms of locating critters and sizing them up.

I'd save weight elsewhere and carry a 65x as s minimum scope size. I spent a lot of time behind a Nikon 50 ED wishing it had more power.

I really like my 11-33 razor as a packing scope and weight is right. I usually use around 20ish power to just scan and it's so clear I can see if worth getting closer to animal. I will say needs more zoom to count points on anything far away but on some level the clarity offsets some zoom.

C

For me and where I hunt the Nikon ED 50 with the 15x 30 eye piece fits my needs. Optically it is a big step up from the Minox MD 50 and I've had both. The ED is very light and optically has a hi quality to weight ratio. I need light and good. I pair it with a vortex summit tripod. I also carry Theron Wapiti APO ED 10x42s which are a good bang for the buck but a little heavy. I carry both up the mountain but not always both on each trip from camp. That depends on where I will go and be
HD

Celestron is for bird watchers and star gazers.

For durability in hunting conditions I would suggest using one of the companies catering to hunters.

Thanks for all the Great info I'll check all these options out. Has anyone had any experience with one of these:

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/sport-optics/spotting-scopes/series/hummingbird-spotting-scopes

Not impressed. Great concept but there comes a point that you can only go so small and get good optical performance. I had a factory a sample of this design concept and high hopes for it. I took it on an elk hunt last year to test it. As much as I wanted it to be a good scope, it didn't make the grade for long distance viewing. Short distance work was fine. The larger models of celestron are very nice scopes and have a great option of taking standard eye pieces instead of overpriced proprietary ones.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back