Caribou Gear Tarp

Talley lightweights

I should add that I Lap my rings to be sure they are perfectly aligned. And afterwards clean then off with alcohol and apply a little rosin powder before actually mounting the scope.

Might seem like a bit of extra work but the results are worth it. No scope issues or failures.

Guy on a whitetail habitat forum i spend too much time on had his talleys crack day before his OIL UT elk hunt started a week ago.

Then there's this:

Again, I've had good luck with them but there is abundant evidence that luck is likely involved. Too many good rings out there to take the chance.

Guy on a whitetail habitat forum i spend too much time on had his talleys crack day before his OIL UT elk hunt started a week ago.

Then there's this:

Again, I've had good luck with them but there is abundant evidence that luck is likely involved. Too many good rings out there to take the chance.
This is where I am at.

I have heard that there were some issues with the Talley LW rings at some point in time.

I have Warned, Vortex, and my go to now is EGW.
Never an issue with any of those.

I have mounted at least three dozen scopes in Talley lightweight rings and only had one issue with them. On a .243 tikka, the scope was visibly skewed in the rings, I lapped them so much that the scope couldn't be clamped down . I contacted Talley and they agreed to exchange the mounts and paid shipping both ways. After installing the second set I realized that the problem was the Tikka reciever....not the mounts.
T3 or 3x? Do you recall the rifle's manufacture year? Were the receiver screw holes not straight?

I like warne rings both QD and forever rings, and have started switching over to leupold 2pc quick release steel mounts. Pretty sleek and solid

Have had Talleys on every rifle I have owned and installed several sets for friends. Many big scopes on magnum rifles. 100% bullet proof. When something works well 99.9% of the time, people tend to only take time to write about the .1% of the time that something fails.

Hope it all works out.

*for what it’s worth, every Easter the guys over at 24hourcampfire have an annual thread where they unapologetically and with absolute conviction extoll the similarities between DJ Trump and Jesus Christ. Since then, I haven’t trusted most of what is posted over there.

I am in a very similar boat with my Weatherby Backcountry 280ai. Currently running Talley UL on it and I am rethinking that choice after having a set of Talleys break on a 3006 over the summer. Will I have an overall better / more accurate platform if I go to a Nightforce rail and ring system (6oz more weight)? do I move to the Leupold Backcountry rings? or do I leave it alone since I have had no issues?

I am in a very similar boat with my Weatherby Backcountry 280ai. Currently running Talley UL on it and I am rethinking that choice after having a set of Talleys break on a 3006 over the summer. Will I have an overall better / more accurate platform if I go to a Nightforce rail and ring system (6oz more weight)? do I move to the Leupold Backcountry rings? or do I leave it alone since I have had no issues?

If they hold your scope in place fine your only benefit would be having a mounting system that is less likely to break.

Okay so you don't think I will see any accuracy improvements with swapping things out? Do you think the NF will be a better upgrade than the Leupold?

Okay so you don't think I will see any accuracy improvements with swapping things out? Do you think the NF will be a better upgrade than the Leupold?

If the Talleys are holding your scope in place fine and aren't putting any other undue stress on your scope due to being out of alignment or pinching it weird (unlikely), there is no reason something else will improve accuracy.

I'm not familiar with the leupold backcountry products so can't opine compared to nightforce.

I’ve had Talley lw on a Remington 270 mountain rifle and a model 7. 7mm/08 for about 20 years. Never any issues.

This year I pulled my muzzleloader and 7mm out of the safe for muzzleloader and rifle season. I looked them over, no cracks on either rings... I trust my setups enough I didn't even waste ammo checking they are sighted in. Nothing changed from last year when I was on the bullseye on the first shot out of the safe.

Somehow this thread is still alive even after I forgot about it. After retorquing rings to new specs I have shot a few groups with different bullets and powders and my zero didn’t change from what you would expect different loads to do and my slippage/torque stripes are still lined up. It Seems like the culprit was that set of rings and the leupold tube just wanted a higher value to hold. I’m going to abuse the gun some next summer and see how it holds.

I’ve have talley lw’s on a Remington model 7, 7mm/08. 140gr at 2950 it kicks like a mule. The talleys have worked perfect. They have been on it for about 20 years.

Might want to check the torque on the base mount and cap bolts. My base mounts worked loose on my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. Unfortunately you need to take the scope off to torgue the basemounts. Think mine worked loose by not being torqued to proper spec and worked loose from recoil on a light gun. I used red thread lock on them and keep a close eye on them. Was a real head scratcher for a while.

Currently have Talley LW on my .340 Wby. I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5- 18x44. I was thinking about changing to a Murphy Precision Ti rail, but am having trouble finding any robust rings for a 1 inch tube. Murphy no longer makes rings and recommends NF but they don't make a 1 inch ring. Any suggestions? Warne, Spuhr, EGW, Leupold Backcountry... all are popular on the forum, but which ones are considered the most bombproof?

Tract Optics, a fairly new company, basically has their reputation on the line and they sell Warne finished to match their scopes. FWIW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back