Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best Hunting TV Shows?

Brachii

I need a new show to DVR. I love MeatEater because it's 100% hunting and informative in a variety of places. All these shows on TV are 60% talking in their cabin, 30% product name dropping, and very little actual hunting or hunting advice. Anyone know of another show like meateater?

You mean other than Fresh Tacks? There are very few that I consider watchable. The Western Hunter, Solo Hunter and Meateater are about the only shows I watch.
I can't stand those shows that feature some yahoo sitting in a tree stand over a food plot "hunting" for an elusive buck they've been growing for years. They are on tv simply to show some clown killing something on camera because they always kill something. I don't watch any of the "long range" shows either.

Last edited:
No, they all suck (other than the aforementioned). I watch Hushin on YouTube even though they are annoying at times. Switchback and stuck n the rut on YouTube are also tolerable.

I watch the TV shows until about 5 minutes in when I hear the word "ranch" then I shut it off. Happens 95% of the time.

Aside from Randy's show I always watch Western Hunter; particularly the episodes with Nate Simmons. I watch for entertainment not to be educated and the way he produces the show is personal not preachy or instructive. I feel like I'm there with him and he seeks out places where there are few others.

That said, if you are paying attention, both these shows will teach you forbearance and how to enjoy the hunt. Both shows last night were worth watching.

I saw a new one last night called "West of Texas" that had a good episode of doll sheep/caribou hunting. I'm not sure if any of the other ones are any good yet.

Nock On TV on Youtube is pretty good. John is probably the best archery guy out there when it comes to doing a show that is focused on hunting but also has some archery tech stuff in.

He is a bow ninja.

Fresh Tracks, Solo Hunter, and watch Jason Metzinger, and Clay Hayes on their YouTube channels.

As much as I whitetail hunt, I hate watching guys sit in stands whitetail hunting! I avoid and show where the hunter is wearing a flat brim hat or starts out with an add with a bag of feed that they pour on the ground.

Jim Shockey's shows are generally in interesting places and are well produced. I find him a thoughtful ambassador for hunting.

I think we all agree on the top two shows as I see them come up the most (Randy and Steven Rinella) but one show I don't think gets enough credit is Into High Country. Jason is a fairly reserved, honest hunter who does things the right way. Most of his hunts are western big game on public land (I've seen a couple of deer hunts that weren't...no biggie) and he shares many of the same sponsorships as Mr. Newberg. If you haven't seen it check it out!

I have DirectTV, and can search for programs using the word "Elk" in the subject matter. I try to watch most shows that come on about Elk hunting, even the crappy ones. I love Elk hunting, and being able to see the Mountains and scenery of Elk country makes me look forward to October, although sometimes I have to put the TV on mute to stop the dribble of some of these "characters".

Last edited:
Only shows I watch are Fresh Tracks, MeatEater and (gulp) for whitetails Midwestwhitetail.com. MWW is as good as a WT show is going to get. A mix of private and public hunting but not "we're her with Blah Blah Blah Outfitter. Lot of talk about strategy and stuff and some good hunting.

There is a show on outdoor channel called "Wildgame Nation". It's so good it should be illegal. :cool:

Dog the bounty hunter is my favorite hunting show. A felon with pepper spray and cigs is way better than half the stuff on tv.

If the "stars" paint their face black, think they sing well, have decals on their truck/trailer that say "shoot 'em in the face" or "if it flies it dies", or continue whispering after they just touched off a .338 Win. Mag. , change the channel.

"Man did you just see that swamp donkey drop after my Hoyt Carbon Spider Turbo sent my Easton Deep 6 Full Metal Jacket arrow tipped with a Rage 2 blad Hyperemic broad head through his boiler room!!" High fives obnoxiously man hugging the "guide"... cut to 10 minutes of commercials followed by me throwing up and canceling my Dish subscription! Way too much of that mind numbing stuff out there. Thank you Randy and Team for putting on a real hunting show.

You mean you don't love the guy in the tree stand hyperventilating and imitating Machoman Randy Savage after drilling a monster whitetail on a private Ranch in Iowa? Oh Ya baby I just smoked a monster yaaaaa..

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back