Best hunting sidearm?

A g23 .40 S&W rides in an Ivory Holsters custom kydex on my packs hip belt. Same empty weight as the g19 but a hair heavier loaded. Probably never use it for protection but makes me feel better 🤷🏻‍♂️

Does your Glock 19, with you behind the trigger, shoot well enough to shoot small game? If so, I would stick with it unless you were going to be in grizzly country. I don’t think you will find anything much lighter than the Glock that will still check all of your boxes. Just use something other than hollow points on small game (I used to use 245 gr cast bullets from a 44 on grouse).

As an aside, several years ago, while hiking to an area where I had a sheep tag, I watched my brother and a friend nearly empty the magazine in a Glock 19 at a grouse who eventually tired of the noise and flew off.

The Fort Scott Munitions “TUI” rounds are an interesting concept and has some interesting videos out there with ballistic gel.

I do carry bear mace... but depending on where I'm going and if I'm camping, I like to have a pistol too for general protection outside of bears— crazies, coyotes, etc. My glock 19 is a bit too heavy for my taste for hiking with my gear. I've considered the glock 26 which is the smaller 9mm version but that may be too big a bullet. Any recommendations for a sidearm that is both relatively light and versatile in its caliber? Ideally, I'd like something that I can use subsonic/lighter rounds for shooting small game occasionally. Any overlap there?
For many years my answer was a stainless 357 magnum with a 4" barrel. Now I would opt for a Smith and Wesson model 69 5 shot 44 mag. It is built on the L frame and only weighs 37 ounces and has adjustable sights and a 4.25 inch barrel.

My wife recently got a Kimber K6S 4" Target revolver and really likes it. Snakeshot, .38s, .357 Mag. Weighs around 25 ounces empty, so less than your 19.
I have a J -Frame 38 Special with a 1 1/2" snub. I've never put special grips on it. It bites WAY more than my 4 inch Security 6 Ruger in 357.
Sitting here thinking about it, I ordered the Pachmayrs for it.

Last edited:
Story about mixed ammo in revolver cylinders.

In 1986 I was in the Selway hunting elk for my first out of state trip. I came like Rambo and all the locals laughed at me. I had Gerber Mk1 knife taped to my ALICE harness and my 4" inch 357 Security Six on my surplus pistol belt. AND my .30-06. I had the 357 loaded with two CCI shot shells and four hot HP handloads in case I had cougar problems. I shot a grouse with a shot shell early in the day. Later I saw another but couldn't get the shot. I decocked and went on my way. The third grouse I saw got a 158 grain HP and turned inside out. I had not reset the cylinder after I lowered the hammer last time.

These days I only fantasize about having cougar problems. If I want grouse I carry a Ruger MkII 678. For security my rifle is enough. The truth is that a folding wrist rocket makes a lot less ruckus in the woods and is just about as deadly on stupid fall grouse. After I get the first load of meat back at the truck, I carry a Ruger RH 44Mag or SBH 45 Colt in a chest rig when I go back to get the other quarters. Sometimes I go with a 5 inch P14-45.

I have NEVER had a bear encounter working with meat. I have had a bear steal a quarter I left overnight. It's a real pucker tracking down a stolen quarter to get it back from a bear. That's when you want that heavy revolver. This bear hauled it about 75 yards through the blowdowns. I got it back but never saw the bear. It's track was only about 4 inches wide, so not a big bear. It bit a perfect semi circle out of that quarter. Through the femur. It looked like the proverbial light saber cut. They say that a bear defending food is second only to a sow with cubs on the danger scale. Older and wiser, I'm not sure I would push the confrontation like I did.

I've learned the best way to avoid bears on your meat is to get it all out of there the first night, even if it takes all night. I will make leapfrog trips sometimes. If I absolutely have to leave meat out overnight, I will hang it and pee all around the bottom of the tree. I will leave a piece of my stinky clothing there as well. I've never had another problem.

The one thing that is changing my mind on going to a hi-cap auto is the number of wolves you hear close to camp now. If they decide you are dinner, they are going to work you and come at you all at once. Firepower will definitely matter more than stopping power. I'm not a Glock guy, but a 16+1 round Rock Island 10mm is on my wish list.

The 19 is your best best, but if you're looking for a subcompact remember that recoil increases with the corresponding decrease in weight.

The Sig P938 is a good little pocket rocket and very lightweight. It's all metal and mimics the controls of a 1911, which I like.

The smaller glocks would be good as well since you're already familiar with those controls. YOu can also download your magazines to hold just 10 rounds and save a bit of weight that way as well.

The 19 is your best best, but if you're looking for a subcompact remember that recoil increases with the corresponding decrease in weight.

The Sig P938 is a good little pocket rocket and very lightweight. It's all metal and mimics the controls of a 1911, which I like.

The smaller glocks would be good as well since you're already familiar with those controls. YOu can also download your magazines to hold just 10 rounds and save a bit of weight that way as well.
And the extended mag on a P938 is worth it’s weight in gold, at least for me. Otherwise my pinkie finger has nothing to grab, so it just floats… there’s worse things in the world, but it drives me nuts when I handle ours.

Envious of you guys with your handguns.

Always fancied a 5" 357 mag for this purpose. Nice light specials for practice, mags for bigger stuff

I do carry bear mace... but depending on where I'm going and if I'm camping, I like to have a pistol too for general protection outside of bears— crazies, coyotes, etc. My glock 19 is a bit too heavy for my taste for hiking with my gear. I've considered the glock 26 which is the smaller 9mm version but that may be too big a bullet. Any recommendations for a sidearm that is both relatively light and versatile in its caliber? Ideally, I'd like something that I can use subsonic/lighter rounds for shooting small game occasionally. Any overlap there?
You don't really save a lot of weight going from a 19 to a 26. It's smaller though. I like the Sig P365xl.

Well re-thinking this I think the gun to have in bear counrty is the one I carried fishing in Alaska. Rem 660 in 308 Win with 2 3/4x Redfield. 20" barrel/ Loaded with 200gr bullets it was deadly accurate at 50 yds. For the rabbit and grouse I'll take my Mod 16 Smith in 32 long with cast bullet's! :)

When deer or elk hunting, I do not carry a sidearm. If I'm yote hunting or fishing, I carry a 40 S&W. Not sure if it's perfect, but I suspect its useful to stop whatever at personal range.

when hunting with a rifle, I carry the rifle. no need for more.

If I'm out scouting, I'll likely carry a S&W J-Frame 640 .357...my alternative is a Springfield Hellcat. All depends on the type of critters I expect might be out there.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back