Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best Elk Pack

I went Stone Glacier because they are based in Montana and I like most everything about it after maybe 5 elk packed out so far. Exo look pretty well thought out and I would like to try one someday. I would not consider Kirfaru.

I hated this. I guess it depends how far from truck you are hunting. I have the EXO 4800 and have been pleased. The minor (1-2lbs) increase in weight over my “day hunting” pack is 100% worth it. I have one pack, all my essentials are always there, no switching between packs etc. and on the rare instance I kill something here in Montana the first trip out is not wasted as @Talk2elk mentioned above.

Also as mentioned they are made in USA and great customer service. If you want a pack that can haul meat the three I would look at would be EXO, Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch. All quality and made in US. Idk about Kuiu, I was not impressed with Seek, their frame is composite or aluminum? neither of which is costly but they command same price point as others - the one I saw was just a large duffel. EXO uses titanium, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier use carbon fiber.
I just got a Stone glacier Sky 5900 and I'm impressed. I just ordered that outside bag that attaches over the beavertail zipper (forgot what they call it, sorry) and I ordered 2 large accessory containers that get put on the belt. Yeah, they don't cheap, but hey are American made!! Made in Bozeman. It's the reason I only buy Leupold scopes. PUT AN AMERICAN TO WORK. As I was narrowing my choices, I called SG and a guy I believe named Ryan helped me. He's featured in one of the Spring bear videos. Super nice guy. I'm taking this setup up to Penna for the 2 weeks of deer season starting Sat. It's pretty sturdy. You do have to watch their videos on Youtube to see how everything works. It can get complicated. I basically bought it for it's meeting hauling capabilities, American Made, excellent reputation.

Kuiu 1800 ultra is my go to day pack. I also have the stalker pack that which is perfect for warm weather whitetail hunts when you only need to pack a couple things.

Other half and I went with KUIU packs this year. Game changer. So far he's packed out 2 elk and no problems. I helped pack out his elk last week with the 1800 pack and it was sure nice compared to what we used last year. We have the gun harness and strap the rifle rides under your arm. Love how that works really don't know you're packing your rifle. Coming out loaded the other day with the rifle had no problems at all. All from KUIU.

I have an icon pro and got my wife a kids mystery ranch popups. Way better design for meat packing. I have packed a lot with the icon, but it isn't set up as well for meat packing.

Heres my mystery ranch Metcalf with a full rear quarter and euro'ed head. This was yesterday and packed out 3 miles. Full elk in 4 trips. Ive hauled out many deer/pronghorn/bear/elk with it and I wouldnt buy another pack.

Attachments

• 20211125_094020.jpg
    20211125_094020.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20211125_094446.jpg
    20211125_094446.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 19
I have KUIU and Mystery Ranch Sawtooth and have packed plenty with both. Can't go wrong with either but the KUIU generally sits as a back up and I almost exclusively use the MR.

Once I got the new Kuiu pro series that came out AFTER the Icon, I sold my M.R. Metcalf.
For ME, the Kuiu Pro is way more comfortable, Carrie’s better, and has a more functional layout. But… the only way to really evaluate/decide is to try them.

Heres my mystery ranch Metcalf with a full rear quarter and euro'ed head. This was yesterday and packed out 3 miles. Full elk in 4 trips. Ive hauled out many deer/pronghorn/bear/elk with it and I wouldnt buy another pack.
I will second this. I borrowed a friend's Metcalf to pack out my sons elk this year, because I couldn't get the horses I planned to use, and I will be getting a Metcalf before next season. The amount of meat and gear you can load it up with is amazing. Plus it is the most comfortable pack I have ever put on my back.

Well, back from my Penna deer hunting with the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. The zippers are tough as hell. Now I haven't used other packs, BUT the weight distributing of this SG is amazing. Where I was hunting, west of Waynesburg, PA is like hunting the WV mountains. Nothing like Montana, but I need to work up to Montana first. I ain't a spring chicken. I liked having the big open area in the main area of the pack since I can add cheap plastic containers in the ack as I see fit. And the beavertail pocket on the back was great. Also loved the Sky feature. I'm sending the belt back to them to get them to extend it. I have a 38" waist with jeans, but when the fat boy gets on his polar fleece and heavy bibs the belt barely fit around the fat boy's gut. They said they'd extend not for free. I really think in today's day and age that we need to make a conscious effort to buy American. I'm tired of walking into a big box store and putting another American on drugs and unemployment.

Well, back from my Penna deer hunting with the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. The zippers are tough as hell. Now I haven't used other packs, BUT the weight distributing of this SG is amazing. Where I was hunting, west of Waynesburg, PA is like hunting the WV mountains. Nothing like Montana, but I need to work up to Montana first. I ain't a spring chicken. I liked having the big open area in the main area of the pack since I can add cheap plastic containers in the ack as I see fit. And the beavertail pocket on the back was great. Also loved the Sky feature. I'm sending the belt back to them to get them to extend it. I have a 38" waist with jeans, but when the fat boy gets on his polar fleece and heavy bibs the belt barely fit around the fat boy's gut. They said they'd extend not for free. I really think in today's day and age that we need to make a conscious effort to buy American. I'm tired of walking into a big box store and putting another American on drugs and unemployment.
Seek Outside is a great pack made in Grand Junction, Western Colorado.

I use a Seek Outside pack and couldn’t be happier with it. One of the main reasons I went with them is they are one of, if not the, lightest on the market. Outstanding quality and customer service.

I’ve tried everything but Kifaru and stone glacier has been the best. I’m running the Sky Talus 6900. It packs down for a great day pack, used it on 7 day backcountry trip, and is great on hauling meat.

I'd go with a 5000+ cc pack that cinches down well. Look for something sub ~6.5lbs. (Something like a full curl is stupid they weigh like 10lbs empty, put a jacket, water, snacks, and a FAK it there and you're suddenly at 20lbs)

Personally I really like a gun barer with an under the arm carry. Your barrel is right there so it makes you more aware of where your muzzle is pointing and keeps it from getting in the way when your hiking.

I wouldn't buy something without a meatshelf. They just allow you to carry heavy loads better, and keep blood off your gear. They also give you more carrying capacity.

If this is just a day pack the meat shelf isn't as big a deal.

Not all meatshelves are created equal; You want weight to sit as high on your back as possible. Typically when people struggle or experience pain with heavy loads it's because the load is too low. You should not have anything below your butt, your meatshelf or your pack if it's going in the bag, should allow you to get the load above your hips. There are certain companies that have poorly designed shelves that don't allow correct load carrying.

Packs are constantly being redesigned so my experience with one brand and criticism might not be relevant with newer models so I will refrain.

I have a SG and I've used it on elk/deer/moose/caribou/goat etc backpack hunts and then also or whitetail tree stand, and small game hunts. I like being able to keep my headlamps, knife, etc in it all year round and not having to shift stuff to a new pack with each season.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back