MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best Cell Phone Carrier for Montana?

Mountain Man

Hi everyone, I am moving my family to Missoula this summer while I spend one last year overseas before transitioning out of the military. I was hoping I could get feedback on which cell phone carrier you all think has the best service coverage in Montana. We don’t have any existing ties or contracts so every company is on the table. Which company do you recommend?

Kind of all over the place these days. I've always been a Verizon user as that was once considered the best coverage. A few friends use T-Mobile and they actually have better coverage in spots that are dead for Verizon. Another has AT&T and it seems to work just the same as Verizon at least in the Dillon area.

Verizon is still probably the most consistent statewide. Some urban areas on the west side may have better coverage with T-Mobile but that doesn’t seem to extend to more rural areas. I’ve known people who live in Missoula who have T-Mobile and love it but also rarely leave town. Being on this forum, I doubt that’s your plan. I’m fortunate to have a Verizon work cell and an AT&T personal cell so I’ve got it pretty well covered. AT&T seems to be getting better coverage in MT.

On a statewide consideration: Verizon. AT&T next. T-mobile third.

It really just depends on where you will be living. Do NOT trust any maps or claims they make in store. They are full of lies. I have T-mobile for personal use, because it is the only provider that works where I live. Though the minute I leave our little valley, it sucks relative to the others. I use Verizon for work and in the empty areas of MT it seems the most likely (still not all that likely) to work.

On a side note, I had better service county wide in 2003 with Verizon, than any provider now offers, including verizon. Someone with an Electrical Engineering degree who works for one of the providers once explained it to me, and I can't remember the details but the gist was that it ain't getting better anytime soon.

AT&T has worked well for me. You ain't getting 100% coverage anywhere in this state, so just pick one out of the hat.

I live in NC, hunt in SC, NM, and MT. Of those three states, Verizon has been best for me. While hunting in MT through a lot of the state (including just traveling/not hunting), I have had great success with Verizon. Just like everyone has mentioned above, I still have dead spots, but this the case for others that I have been with, with other providers.

There's been so much upgrading with 5G (requires infilling) that at this point it's a toss up. Feel free to PM if you need some insurance advice. I know some people that know some people.

Verizon.

That said, it’s so Californicated anymore it really doesn’t matter much.

Thanks everyone for responding. I appreciate it. Seems like Verizon is the leading contender from this small sample size. I’ll look into T-Mobile for due diligence, but will likely end up going Verizon. I also have to check with my father-in-law to see what he uses to ensure I have coverage at his house out in Potomac since we will be spending a lot of time there. Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Verizon is still probably the most consistent statewide. Some urban areas on the west side may have better coverage with T-Mobile but that doesn’t seem to extend to more rural areas. I’ve known people who live in Missoula who have T-Mobile and love it but also rarely leave town. Being on this forum, I doubt that’s your plan. I’m fortunate to have a Verizon work cell and an AT&T personal cell so I’ve got it pretty well covered. AT&T seems to be getting better coverage in MT.
Ditto
Verizon for work and AT&T personal. Good coverage in Montana

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back