Best broadhead for elk?

Have you tried the No Collars yet? I’ve never shot big game with mechanical, but I’d like to hear firsthand exp on shooting with a collar for however long, how many discrepancies you may have encountered, and the switch to NC and any differences you may have encountered between the two…
I used the NC hypodermic +P last year on a whitetail buck and it went clean through quartering to but in this case had almost no blood trail. My brother in law had a big blood trail on his so hard to say why. I have not noticed any difference switching to them other then it is nice to not have to worry about a collar.

I think the Iron Wills look pretty great, but the price is just insane. Maybe the warranty does pay for itself eventually.

I’m hopefully going to kill an elk with viper tricks in about 6 weeks, and I think they will work nicely.

I don't think Iron will warranty covers knicked blades. Only bent furrels or bh shank/body.

Get yourself a heavy broadhead and insert combo. I'll be using 200 grains up front alone. You want penetration on large animals. Mechanicals will not give you penetration, nor will serrated heads. The industry wants to sell you on speed, that's why a lot of archers try to use the lightest set up they can. Don't be afraid to explore heavy arrows and heavy BH's!

Have a read on Dr. Ed Ashby's website.

Get yourself a heavy broadhead and insert combo. I'll be using 200 grains up front alone. You want penetration on large animals. Mechanicals will not give you penetration, nor will serrated heads. The industry wants to sell you on speed, that's why a lot of archers try to use the lightest set up they can. Don't be afraid to explore heavy arrows and heavy BH's!

Have a read on Dr. Ed Ashby's website.
The real question is where is the sweet spot with regards to the intersection of weight and speed. The vectors are mutually dependent so there's an unescapable inherent trade-off.
Just like in rifles where you choose your minimal desired terminal energy and velocity at specific distance, here you have to choose your minimum acceptable speed (and acceptable pin gaps) as your weight goes up.

Where is everyone's sweet spot?

Partially depends on where you’re hunting. Some states, like Idaho, don’t allow mechanical broad heads. Make sure you do the research first!

Anyone using QAD exodus?
My brother in law used them both seasons we’ve bowhunted together and I was thoroughly surprised at how sharp they stay, and the blood trail they leave. He’s got full passes on everything he’s shot and I’m making the switch from G5 to QAD this year. Here’s some pics of a double lung elk blood trail last year from about 50 yards.

Attachments

• 09B4D019-1D8F-4B9D-9895-C5C5719546B3.jpeg
    09B4D019-1D8F-4B9D-9895-C5C5719546B3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 28AA3226-7F3C-44BE-B0A7-2712DD0C85F5.jpeg
    28AA3226-7F3C-44BE-B0A7-2712DD0C85F5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 6EAF879A-57E0-4EBD-9482-7AB38059E7C5.jpeg
    6EAF879A-57E0-4EBD-9482-7AB38059E7C5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 28A25E2D-9B04-4F92-933B-F9DB368947F3.jpeg
    28A25E2D-9B04-4F92-933B-F9DB368947F3.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
My brother in law used them both seasons we’ve bowhunted together and I was thoroughly surprised at how sharp they stay, and the blood trail they leave. He’s got full passes on everything he’s shot and I’m making the switch from G5 to QAD this year. Here’s some pics of a double lung elk blood trail last year from about 50 yards.
Love the review, was he using 100 or 125grains? Do you know total arrow weight?

Love the review, was he using 100 or 125grains? Do you know total arrow weight?
100s gn. Idk total weight, but i could get it this evening probably. Easton axis 5mm at about 27 1/2” nothing extra, basic blazer veins IIRC.. I can find out!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back