best backcountry destination for spring bears

Titan_Bow

I'm really wanting to do a spring bear hunt next year with my son. I've never hunted bears before, but have done alot of backcountry deer, elk, and summer fishing trips. We spend alot of time in the mountains here in Colorado. Next year, instead of a week in Nebraska chasing turkeys, I'd like to take my little boy with me on a real backcountry adventure, spot and stalk black bear hunt.
As I start my research to put something like this together, what are some of the best states to start looking? I hear alot of guys mentioning Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, so I would likely start looking there. Are there areas in these states are best? My criteria would definitely be population density above trophy potential, we'd just like to see bears and hopefully get a successful stalk on one or two

Idaho, Montana, Maine, Wisconsin. I had a friend have fantastic luck in the past in both Idaho and Maine. I personally hunt Wisconsin but primarily fall bear. I have a friend who shot a beautiful bear last year in Montana. All depends on what part of the country you want to see!

Montana is probably the worst for quantity and quality of the states you listed but it is one of my favorite hunts. You will see zero people.

The country is green in May and the animals are unpressured. You will see ten times the game you would during the general season due to that lack of pressure.

Add in the possibitly of finding a few fresh sheds and its a quality experience even if you dont harvest a bear. Fishing can be hit or miss that time of year depending on run off levels.

I usually hunt after work so my sightings are minimal but I would think if you dedicated five siolid days to hunting you could find a bear. That time of year if you find one you will find multiple bears. They seem to congragate mid may till june. This is the "rut" period for bear im my area.

If you decide MT I would be happy to give you a starting point via PM.

If you want to spot and stalk bear, don't come to the east. There's beautiful country here, but you'll more than likely have to sit on bait due to the terrain. It's just not open enough in most places to spot and stalk.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back