Belt buckles

Vogt & Sons...or google native american buckle silversmiths if you like turquoise.

I won this at a backhoe Rodeo. 1st place was a chromed out custom painted all the bells and whistles Case backhoe. Money went to 10th place. I was 11th. I got this buckle and a hat. I really have no use for a belt anymore. My ass has migrated to my belly.View attachment 238470
Explain to us how a backhoe rodeo works?

There's a series of accuracy tests with different control setups. As I remember there were orange road cones wit a softball, soccer ball and basketball set on top. You had to pickup the ball into the bucket and place it in a garbage can. Don't drop a ball, don't hit the cones or garbage can. There was a picnic bench with a ball on a road cone on the seat and a bridal to pick it up from. You had to pick up the bench and swing it to another platform.
There were a couple 4'sq platforms with a square cut out and another with a triangle about 18" per side. You had to swing out and get the puzzle piece suspended by a 3-4' chain and a T-bar you had to grab between the bucket teeth then place it in the cutout on the platform.The fastest time with least mistakes, using 3 different machines, with 3 different control setups won a slot in the national finals in Las Vegas. The winner of that won a 90k backhoe.
Being 11th in the N.Cal finals got me the buckle and a crappy Case hat but it was a lot of fun.

I bought this buckle in Aspen when I was around 19 maybe. So 40 years ago. It's the only buckle I've used and I always wear a belt.
Nothing in this pic looks the same except for my belt buckle. The beach is buried under a lava flow. My baby is 34 years old. I'm bald and fat. But my buckle looks the same.

FB_IMG_5240661155688990269.jpg20220908_201929.jpg

Picked up a nice silver contemporary Ranger set while on a solo bike trip from a leather shop in Taos in ‘09. Made by a notable Native American smith it wasn’t cheap. Wife and I were driving home from Santa Fe a couple years ago when I realized I’d left it in the hotel closet. Called them immediately from the road and unfortunately it wasn’t turned in. At least the cleaning staff had good taste. Do regret my carelessness.

There's a series of accuracy tests with different control setups. As I remember there were orange road cones wit a softball, soccer ball and basketball set on top. You had to pickup the ball into the bucket and place it in a garbage can. Don't drop a ball, don't hit the cones or garbage can. There was a picnic bench with a ball on a road cone on the seat and a bridal to pick it up from. You had to pick up the bench and swing it to another platform.
There were a couple 4'sq platforms with a square cut out and another with a triangle about 18" per side. You had to swing out and get the puzzle piece suspended by a 3-4' chain and a T-bar you had to grab between the bucket teeth then place it in the cutout on the platform.The fastest time with least mistakes, using 3 different machines, with 3 different control setups won a slot in the national finals in Las Vegas. The winner of that won a 90k backhoe.
Being 11th in the N.Cal finals got me the buckle and a crappy Case hat but it was a lot of fun.
The ex's,... ex had the local Case dealership and I only got into the competition once before I knew any of them. Came in 24th...lol out of 24.
Hey,I'm a carpenter.

The ex's,... ex had the local Case dealership and I only got into the competition once before I knew any of them. Came in 24th...lol out of 24.
Hey,I'm a carpenter.
One guy just splattered everything all over, took all the penalties but did it so fast he beat about 10 others that were really slow.

D92078A5-839A-4BD7-81A5-1F51F502A504.jpeg28ACB59B-2D21-45AB-B654-F27E9590A7CC.jpeg
The elk buckle I got at a second hand store and loved it but broke on the back. The wagon trail buckle was a gift from my grandfather after he passed and haven’t worn it much but not sure if there is story or not. Had never seen it before I got it. His family were Oklahoma Sooners so who knows. The project gold buckle I wore for years, got it for making the US junior snowboard team. Now if I wear a buckle it’s usually the Colorado one. Hard to beat my marsupial gear belt though, can’t remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans or pants that a belt buckle would look ridiculous with.

Stopped at the Montana silversmiths Outlet store in Columbus on my was to Bozeman yesterday, got a new buckle and a Bracelet , since everything there is half off
View attachment 238723View attachment 238724

I took this pic for @Southern Elk , they got your elk buckle there 😎
View attachment 238725
This is all your fault. After checking out their online store, I bought this and am considering going out of my way to stop in Columbus to visit the store. You owe me a beer.Screenshot_20220910-120523_Chrome.jpg

This is all your fault. After checking out their online store, I bought this and am considering going out of my way to stop in Columbus to visit the store. You owe me a beer.View attachment 238746

A beer 🍺? Hell , I’ll buy ya 2 🍻 ! Next time your in Billings, The store in Columbus is worth it , there so much stuff there in a small area it’s sensory overload.
They also have a large selection of women’s jewelry as well , if ya bring the wife.

Last edited:
A beer 🍺? Hell , I’ll buy ya 2 🍻 ! Next time your in Billings, The store in Columbus is worth it , there so much stuff there in a small area it’s sensory overload.
They also have a large selection of women’s jewelry as well , if ya bring the wife.
I'll will actually be near Billings on my way to Buffalo at the end of September, if the timings right I'll shoot you a DM

Both my brothers and I used to rodeo and in my parents house there are 50 some belt buckles that go around the trim work that we have won.

The one in the picture probably won't mean much to most people but to a select few it well.

Every year at the National Finals Rodeo every person that wins the round gets a buckle.

In the rough stock events the contractor that owns the animal also gets a buckle.

Max Burch of Burch Rodeo and his family gave me this one.

Billy Etbauer won the 10th round in the saddle bronc riding on Mullon Hill that they owned.

I was hurt quite bad on one of their horses.

Attachments

• NFR Buckle.jpg
    NFR Buckle.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back