PEAX Equipment

Beeeaaaar, where are youuu?

kenwparker

I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I'm on day 4 in northern Idaho, Coeur d'Alene area, looking for black bears--nothing yet. We have covered a lot of ground on the forestry roads, seen some sign, glassed a bunch, just not in the right place at the right time I guess. Not asking for your favorite hunting spot, but maybe some places that traditionally hold more bears :eek:. Thanks and happy hunting, Ken.

If you have time head north on hiway 95 head up blacktail mountain area, I haven't hunted there in a in quite a few years but it was a great spring bear area in the past, Blactail mountain is east of cocolalla lake and west of pendorielle. hope it helps.

If you're seeing sign you are in the right areas. Walking gated logging roads in the late afternoon/evenings has been very productive for me.

What's the weather like and when have you been hunting? We hadn't been seeing much and then decided that maybe first thing in the morning would be a better time to hunt with the hot weather and we saw two bears in half an hour. Sometimes it's good just to mix it up if things aren't working.

I've had good luck on rock strewn hillsides you'd think only a biily goat could live. Look for a little spring with some new greeen grass and hang out for a while.

Thanks for the advise guys--and if I'm successful luck will play a bigger role than skill. Today we covered a lot of ground and felt good about our effort, just no bears. I'm surprised to hear seeing bears in the AM since most people suggest the late afternoon evening, but I am open to anything. Tomorrow I plan to start after turkeys and finish the day chasing bruins. Here's hoping.

I've been told a good bear hunter wears out the seat of his pants before the soles of his boots... Not that I can get myself to sit real long though either

The key is to be sitting in the right place, for the last 2 hours of daylight. Finding and getting to/from the right place, often wears out your boots.

Just got in from an evening sit. Watched a black boar chase a cinnamon sow all over the mountain. Too bad they never made it to the this side of the fence. Was entertaining to watch, for sure.

They are out and moving, in good numbers. I went out on Saturday and saw a black boar that night. Of the ten nights I have went out, only one night did I not see at least one bear, with most night, multiple bears.

Hope you find them, Ken.

I just got home. I saw another sow and 2 cubs tonight. I am up to 4 sows, 7 cubs, and 2 little dinks in the last 9 days. I am really puzzled why so few boars right now????

I will occasionally see bears feeding in the middle of the day, but late evening is definately the best.

Well, my bear season is over and I am back in KY. Thanks for all the info and advice--I did learn a few things this year. I saw plenty of sign and covered a bunch of ground, just wish more had been open, but maybe next year...or maybe fall?

Back