Caribou Gear Tarp

Bear taking my deer video clip

That is awesome. Did you shoot the deer with a bow or gun? Just wondering because the deer looked like he was still alive.

By the way, welcome to hunttalk and great first post.

no it was a 300 yard shot almost straight down when i busted the deer, he ran about 40 yards and died. the bear was on him within 20 seconds of when he fell over, i still had the bolt open when he showed up, and i grabbed the camera quick.
he took the deer about 3/4 of a mile down the valley and pulled up under some brush to feed...and no i didn't go get it..lol
i hope he got an antler stuck in his butt though...

Yep, a rifle shot sounds like a dinner bell to a brownie. You're smart not to mess with him after he had set his mind on stealing your buck. I've heard that they get pretty mean and nasty when defending their dinner.
I was camping out on a deer hunting trip one year and I knew there was a fairly fresh 100lb doe bearkill pretty close to where my tent was set up. Three days later I woke to hear something REALLY BIG crashing and running through the brush right below my tent. I though for sure some drunks had driven off the fireroad. Got the spotlight on a giant black bear haulin' on down the ridge, carrying the doe in his jaws like a kitten!
Sorry you lost your buck. Did you get a chance at another? DD

DD, that was my third tag, i'm a guide on kodiak so it wasn't really a suprise to see it happen, just rare. this bear was running these deer when i shot them, he just hadn't come outa the brush yet.
i really think bears showing up after a kill is coinisedence, not following gun shots. years ago outdoor life had an arcticle called Dinner Bell Bears, thats when the big rumor started. if that was the case bear hunting would be easy, sit in a tree and fire off a round every five minutes, bears would come running.
my .02

that was cool. Kind of think that bear acted like a lot of guys here would if you left a 12 pack in your truck bed and went back inside to get the milk and eggs the wife sent you to the store for.

BRNWBR, You're in a much better position to know than I would be. I've only seen browns in the zoo -and there you are rubbing shoulders with them. I see what you mean, if that bear was tracking those deer -why shouldn't he just scoop up a buck he had happened to find laying there dead? Then again he sure lit out of there like he had just robbed a bank!! lol
That's right -I forgot you guys up in Alaska have pretty generous bag limits. Still, I would expect the bear to tag the deer after he ripped it off. (I'm kidding...)

Brwnbr

Making the move from AOD & PV to HT? Welcome...

whats PV? but ya i'm on AOD alot, still am they host my websight, most the guys in there are from alaska though. trying to branch out a bit and soak up some of the rest of the world. everyones got good stories to share! thanks though!

Nice post. In the AK Section we have several stories and video's or recent Kodiak Hunting.

I'm guessing that link is your Outfitting bizz ? Some of those Critters intrest me :) Goats... sheep..... browns....... MMMMMM The Great AK !!!!

Glad you're venturing out, looking foward to hearing more about your hunts !!!

Good lord! That would have me so mad if that was me....but watching your video I had to laugh. That bear knew he had just robbed you and he knew there was nothing you could do about it.

Brwnbr,
Those are some neat clips, I saw 'em over on the AOD site (no offense Moosie I do look at other sites). I'm headed up to Kodiak this coming November and one of the guys going is pretty spun up over his fear of the bears. Clips like that and Moosies pictures aren't helping him at all, I love it. Keep 'em coming,

--Bill

Leanne i was hot when he took my buck, best one of the trip! but danged if i didn't find myself in awe, you never get to see stuff like that, just hear stories about it. so i punched my tag and respected the bear, wasn't gonna shy a man a meal like that so i just let it go.
Moosie, nice forums here man. i've seen some of your pics here and a few other places if i recal, just jumping around to find some new topics and "faces" ya, the link is my guide business, let me know if i can help you with any thing alaska, even if you don't hunt with me i can still help with some unbiased opinions on equit, timing and so on.
thanks for the warm welcome!
not many more stories for me, i won't get back out till early april for those brownies wakin' up on the wrong side of the bed!

WFGinMN, don't worry about the bears, they are terrified of people 99.9999 percent of the time. just don't tick them off, be smart with your meat and blood smell, cause you are playing with their food and have them some space and let them know your there and you'll be fine. some deer hunters never even see them on their trip. one guide area i worked years ago on the island, during the fall season even when we were bear hunting if we saw three bears in a month that was good. not all places are just crawling with them...sometimes you'll hit it right and other times you'll wonder if they are real. other than the big wide flat traisl you could ride your motorcycle down and the piles of crap that look like a whole fish went thru the blender.
Just use your head and you'll be fine. have a great trip! where are you headed to?

Last year I was kicking around the idea of a trip and checking out transporters. I talked with a couple of friends about it and got a bunch of positive response about going, so 5 friends and myself booked with Alaska Coastal Marine for the 10th to 17th of November. We will be meeting the boat in Akhiok. I hope there won't be much of a winter kill this year but if there is, that's life. I should still be a great trip.

--Bill

Fished off that boat you'll be on once before. big boat and nice guys, should have a great trip. as with anything alaska, weather will be everything, this past fall i didn't see a cloud for 8 days, which is rare rare rare. hopefully this fall is good too. have to wait and see. remember to glass high, big bucks like ridges, you'll see them everywhere, but don't be afriad to go high into the tundra to find them, find a bowl or ampitheathre and start looking it over, they'll show up. sit and glass more than you walk, its easier to stare and find them rather than to just come upon them. both work though. bring a pred call they work for fox and deer!

BRWNBR, thanks for your insight about Sitka bucks. How you discribed hunting for them nearly matches what I tell younger hunters about how to go about finding coastal Blacktails down here in Cali. I had no idea that the two required such simular tatics. One question: do your Sitka bucks stay grouped up or do they spread out from each other later in the season? Dave

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back