Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear meat

Sandhiller

I haven't posted much on the site but have been following on it for a couple of years, I wanted to ask all of you that have gotten a bear what do you do with the meat, do you make jerky ,roasts etc. I am hoping to get a bear in Montana this fall and if I am lucky enough to shoot one I need some ideas on how to prepare the meat. Any input will help thanks

Bear roast is great, make good burger too. I wasn't to impressed with the steaks. It makes a big difference from bear to bear, some are good, some not so much.

Cool the bear asap. I have had good and not so good bear meat and it has always been how fast it was cooled down.

It depends on the bear, but roasts and smoking are the two standbys that work well.
Steaks are really good on a tender bear, and really, really bad on a tough bear.

I've tried to eat 2 bear, both were spring bear and were hardly edible for man or beast.....

I have a bear tag for this fall, and might pull the trigger if I see a really great animal. I've heard that fall bear taste better?

I have a bear tag for this fall, and might pull the trigger if I see a really great animal. I've heard that fall bear taste better?

I always heard that too, but that sow I shot this year is probably the best I've ate.

Sandhiller, I don't add suet at all, it's pretty greasy as is.

Thanks again for the info. Has anyone ever tried jerkey or sausage or summer sausage with bear. I am getting excited for this. The thing is I have never shot a bear so if I can find a legal bear it will be game on.

Thanks
Jim

Bear roast is good stuff. If you don't want it, bring it home for a family in need, I'm sure they won't be so picky.

Boil the meat for a few hours, with some leather mixed in the meat. throw away meat and eat leather. lol

Actually bear meat can be good if handled and cooked right. Imo its one of the hardest meats to get right, on a steady basis. I personally don't like burger, but jerky,roasts,steaks are good. I always use corn meal when boilling to get rid of fat in the water. This helps a great deal.. Also I do save a few pounds for burger for chili. a couple times. Nothing like a good clean out.

We do a lot of sausage, Italian and breakfast, but this year we got some "hams" made. Took it into a processor for the first time and they soaked it in a brine for 5 days and then smoked it for a day. Turned out awesome! We will get a couple of these for now on and it only cost us $1.50 a lb.

I have only had fall bear in MN. Berry and acorn fed. We have always had great meat. Bear Brats are fantastic. We have had jerky that is really good as well as the bear burger. The steaks were also good. Burger was 50/50 with beef. You are just encouraged to cook bear thoroughly so if you like things medium rare or rare you are going to need to find new ways of making it.

I haven't had any luck with a good bear steak but grind it up with a big pork shoulder and make summer sauage. It's real good.

StrutNut is right, you have to cook it well done to kill any of the un-suspecting buggies. I've shot two bears, one on a 95 degree day and I couldn't cool it as fast as I'd like, and both have been excellent to eat. I have also had bear from several friends and it's all been really good. All were fall bears though. I like the idea of the smoked ham but I haven't tried that. As long as it was fully cooked it sounds like it would be great.
I'd take the shoulders and make them into crock-pot roasts they'll end up as shredded meat that makes great burritos or tacos. Or you can just eat it like a pot-roast. The hind quarters would probably be best ground into burger, some of it coarse for chili or chunked for stew. The backstraps and tenderloins might work well turned into ham or a pretty tender roast if you cook it well. I'm not sure about the jerky, unless you can get the meat cooked without ruining the jerky.

Ive gotten 2 bears so far,,,be sure to debone meat and trim as much fat off as possible,,,then i grind it for burger,,,very edible,,,if there is too much fat it will pick up a gamey flavor.

Killed quite a few bears and never had one that I didn't eat, these are MN bears makes good sausage, steaks are good and the burger doesn't need any mix, they are kind of fatty you'll figure this out when skinning and cutting, just grind it and grill it! I really beleave that the meat takes on the taste of what your baiting them with. Sweats give the meat a good taste, and rotten fish and meat just don't do it for me.

I am with you Moosie, two many to count and none of them worth packing out! Leave them and shoot a wolf oe another one off the gut pile!

I am with you Moosie, two many to count and none of them worth packing out! Leave them and shoot a wolf oe another one off the gut pile!

Not an option in Montana where the OP said he was going to be hunting this year. Thanks for your opinion though.;)

Back