Bear meat

I want to thank everyone for the responses. I now have an idea of what I am going to do if I get a bear.

Thanks again
Jim

leaving good meat in the woods! You guys are some real winners

Im new to this site, and I tell ya........ Real winners

The main thing with bear meat is to remove every bit of fat. I add about 20% beef trimmings and we love it.Of course our bears have been eating very well on our baits.3weeks of cookies and cookie dough probably tames down the gamey flavor.

I honestly don't know how many bears I have killed, but I do know I absolutely love the meat and put a higher value on the meat than the Hyde. I clean all of the bear fat,sinew and anything but pure meat off of it. Our favorite is the burger but the loins BBQ'd in bacon strips is a close second. On the burger we add 7% beef and 7% pork suit to the total weight and it is great burger.

Editorial: In the state of Idaho you're not required to remove bear meat from the woods if you shoot one, or maybe I should say harvest, so I don't offend your sensibilities. Everyone that I've seen on the site recommends trimming all the fat and bone, and I don't think any of us eat the offal. It's sort of a superior attitude to think that you take out 40% by weight of the bear,trim down to 30% and throw away the rest, and now anyone who doesn't is beneath you. If you leave the bear there, it's bait for your buddy, and if you're with him, you can shoot a wolf or two incidentally, and if you don't time it right, it still feeds the other animals, even squirrels, foxes, and other things that make being in the outdoors, being in the outdoors. If someone is following the letter, and the spirit of the law, it doesn't make them less of a sportsman, anymore than a gun hunter is less of a sportsman than an archery hunter, or a dry fly fisherman is somehow morally superior to someone that drowns nymph imitations.
The preceeding was an editorial opinion, and should be taken with a grain of salt, a shot of tequila, and/or a slice of lime.

come on guys lets not being leaving animals we kill in the woods thats terrible ethics...

leaving good meat in the woods! You guys are some real winners

Im new to this site, and I tell ya........ Real winners

Diknoodle and Zipup, Bear meat is not good, taste like sour sack nuggets, and it's LEGAL to leave it in the hills......... Ethic's fall on the individuals. Sorry you choose to be offended :D

Page 64 in the Idaho fish and game rules :

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/bgInfo.pdf

Waste of Game
Hunters are required to remove and care for the edible meat
of big game animals, except black bears, mountain lions and

gray wolves.

PS, I don't eat Coyote's either......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52