Caribou Gear

Bear Baiting Station

idahofishnhunt

So decided this year I'm going to try a barrel instead of just doing it on the ground. For the most part I have what I need regarding all things except the size of the chain. Obviously I don't want to have to haul in more weight then I need to.

For those that are using chain to anchor your barrels...what size are you using, how many pounds?

Thanks.

Duck-Slayer

big chain, bears are stronger than you think, always... also find a barrel that is thick plastic or thicker metal, had a buddy have both of his barrel's ripped off a tree, the chain was still there but the metal barrel was ripped in half..... also I'll PM you with a few tricks....
Matt

beagle001

Seems like it's a Wisconsin thing, and since barrels are illegal here, we use hollowed out stumps, with a slab of wood across the top and a rock on top of that. Not sure if that trips your trigger but it is an idea with less hassle than a barrel

Rooster52

Seems like it's a Wisconsin thing, and since barrels are illegal here, we use hollowed out stumps, with a slab of wood across the top and a rock on top of that. Not sure if that trips your trigger but it is an idea with less hassle than a barrel
Same as we do in Michigan

idahofishnhunt

I did it on the ground last year, I'm hoping a barrel will make the bait last longer, and keep some of the critters...like birds out of it. I am going in further then I did last year, but I have a good travel route.

Mthuntinfool

We can't bait in Montana unfortunately, so I cant be any help with first hand advice, but I would think cable would be as strong or stronger than chain, and a helluva lot easier to pack.

elkmagnet

As Matt said using a cable or wire is usually strong enough but it will rip through the barrel. Part of the reason you use a larger chain is cuz its that much harder to rip through.

I was going to use cable. I used a nylon webbing strap last year (all I had in the truck) and it worked...but my buckets were destroyed.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luke2000