Caribou Gear

Bear Baiting Station

idahofishnhunt

So decided this year I'm going to try a barrel instead of just doing it on the ground. For the most part I have what I need regarding all things except the size of the chain. Obviously I don't want to have to haul in more weight then I need to.

For those that are using chain to anchor your barrels...what size are you using, how many pounds?

Thanks.

I have used fencing wire to secure barrels to the tree. Lightweight and have never had them break it as of yet.

big chain, bears are stronger than you think, always... also find a barrel that is thick plastic or thicker metal, had a buddy have both of his barrel's ripped off a tree, the chain was still there but the metal barrel was ripped in half..... also I'll PM you with a few tricks....
Matt

Seems like it's a Wisconsin thing, and since barrels are illegal here, we use hollowed out stumps, with a slab of wood across the top and a rock on top of that. Not sure if that trips your trigger but it is an idea with less hassle than a barrel

Seems like it's a Wisconsin thing, and since barrels are illegal here, we use hollowed out stumps, with a slab of wood across the top and a rock on top of that. Not sure if that trips your trigger but it is an idea with less hassle than a barrel
Same as we do in Michigan

I did it on the ground last year, I'm hoping a barrel will make the bait last longer, and keep some of the critters...like birds out of it. I am going in further then I did last year, but I have a good travel route.

We can't bait in Montana unfortunately, so I cant be any help with first hand advice, but I would think cable would be as strong or stronger than chain, and a helluva lot easier to pack.

As Matt said using a cable or wire is usually strong enough but it will rip through the barrel. Part of the reason you use a larger chain is cuz its that much harder to rip through.

I was going to use cable. I used a nylon webbing strap last year (all I had in the truck) and it worked...but my buckets were destroyed.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back