Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear at the Duluth Mall

I think if I had to take a stab at it that's a boar that's well north of 250 but could be wrong. Alls I know is he'd get a bullet or arrow....... beautiful color.

Lookin thicc

I would say north of 300 with that belly, butt and big dome. Looks quite a bit bigger than some bears I have seen west of Duluth that field dressed at 230-250 on a game scale. There was a young bear on the steps of Duluth city hall few years ago. A guy I went to high school with took a selfie with it. At least he was 50+ yards away :rolleyes:

Looks like a sow to me the front shoulders are lower than the butt, has a pear shaped body.

I imagine that the divider in the windows are at 36 inches, the bear is at least 5-6 feet from the window... my guess is it’s 26-28 inches at the shoulder. My guess 150-170lbs.

Looks like a sow to me the front shoulders are lower than the butt, has a pear shaped body.

I imagine that the divider in the windows are at 36 inches, the bear is at least 5-6 feet from the window... my guess is it’s 26-28 inches at the shoulder. My guess 150-170lbs.
The picture squatting down near the window makes it look real small. The head and neck are thick. At first I thought sow as well because of the front legs tapering into the ankle and the general "squareness" of the bear too. Then I talked myself out of it because of the forehead crease. Now I might be back on the sow side as well.

The picture squatting down near the window makes it look real small. The head and neck are thick. At first I thought sow as well because of the front legs tapering into the ankle and the general "squareness" of the bear too. Then I talked myself out of it because of the forehead crease. Now I might be back on the sow side as well.
After experiencing ground shrinkage on every bear I’ve taken I now make a guess then subtract 100lbs and 1ft off the squared hide.

That is a FAT spring bear though...

I tend to agree that it is probably just a well fed sow that came through winter really well. Based on this last winter, I am guessing that she has been up and moving around since March. She is also living in the relative urban interface; which I would presume would have them well fed. I lived in a town home complex during college a couple of miles from the mall, and we had bears in and around the complex all of the time. You had to be really careful about garbage...

After experiencing ground shrinkage on every bear I’ve taken I now make a guess then subtract 100lbs and 1ft off the squared hide.

That is a FAT spring bear though...

I am terrible at judging bears, and I missed the last pic of it squatting by the window the first time I looked at the article. Definitely a different perspective.
I have shot two (2-3 old boars) over bait in MN (50 miles west of Duluth) and was surprised how small they were when I walked up to them. But was also surprised by the 150-170 lb field dressed weights, thinking they would be more like 120. Last labor day weekend I was in MN for bear opener and the neighbors shot a good looking bear. I was thinking around 200 field dressed and they thought it was 300. Ended up being 235 on the scale. It easily fit in the box of a Polaris Ranger. Should have taken some pics as a reminder of the size. One group of neighbors had a bunch of friends that applied for tags every year, sometimes having up to a dozen in their group. But I don't think I ever remember them measuring a squared hide.

reading the last few posts, two thoughts came to mind

1. shelter in place needs to end very soon (-;

2. wilm1313, thusly, westbranch, other men who guessed. If it had been a young woman, you would have guessed the height, weight, measurements, age- within milla seconds-------- without calculating--ground shrinkage--subtract/add weight--what she had for breakfast and unless you have a lot of cross dressers in Wisconsin, the gender would not have been in question

just joking with you guys (-;

reading the last few posts, two thoughts came to mind

1. shelter in place needs to end very soon (-;

2. wilm1313, thusly, westbranch, other men who guessed. If it had been a young woman, you would have guessed the height, weight, measurements, age- within milla seconds-------- without calculating--ground shrinkage--subtract/add weight--what she had for breakfast and unless you have a lot of cross dressers in Wisconsin, the gender would not have been in question

just joking with you guys (-;

@Europe I’m completely incapable of differentiating other women from men. I see my stunning wife and “those other humans”. My wife weighs 5lbs less than what’s printed on her expired learners permit. I will swear to both of those statements in court ;)

@thusby the other thing that makes me thing it might be a sow is the bears head shape compared to body. It’s definitely a mature bear body says it all... the head though isn’t the block I would expect for that body construction on a boar.

This is a sow (she had 2 cubs with her) compare the head on her to the head of the bear at the mall...
28675202-BB68-41AB-B547-3A2B7531A723.jpeg

Then compare it to the noggin on @theat ‘s bear from the
thread:https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/2020-spring-bears-thread.297648/post-2994191

0C40D07E-F99C-46C2-B101-C60E4B533DA6.jpeg

Gendering bears is tough, I’m not trying prove I’m right, I’m just trying to articulate my thought process and am certainly open to criticism and critique from our more experienced members.

I’ve saved a bunch of bear photos on my phone with confirmed genders + sizes and then using that in the field to help me judge bears. 🤷‍♂️

After all the time I've spent chasing these guys I still have problems. The presence of the very defined crease down the center of the forehead is throwing me for a loop but I know sows will develop that as well over time. I would think the ears on a boar that developed that kind of mass would be further to the sides of the head than they are.
I'm like you. Every bear I have shot had some ground shrink by the time I walked up on it. Even hunting over bait in Manitoba was tough to judge size on a solo bear.

I would say sow, maybe 200 pounds. A big back end and thin front shoulders, really good indication of a sow.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back