BC Outfitters for Moose/Mule Deer

zintt

I've been on 2 guided, back country elk hunts in Idaho in the eary '90's. I finally have the money & vacation time available again to go on another guided hunt. I'd like to go to British Columbia on a guided hunt next fall with a buddy who sounds like he doesn't want to go on a real strenuous(or primitive hunt, so I thought a moose hunt might be good. It appears most outfitters offer combo hunts with moose and mule deer would be the preferred second species to hunt.

Any recommendations for a quality BC outfitter at a reasonable price for such a hunt would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested in any opinions on when the best time to go is: early (Sept. - Oct.) during the rut or a late season hunt in Nov.

Finally, I read somewhere that moose meat is not as good when taken during the rut. Is this true?

Thank you.

zintt,

I know of a few great outfitters up BC way that i have hunted with and a few more that offers hunts at a reasonable price. Most are also listed in the NAHC list of approved guides and outfitters.
Drop me an e-mail and I will collect a list as soon as I get back from offshore next Wednesday.

As for as moose meat goes, I am no expert! But from the one Yukon moose I had roast off of nothing was wrong with him? He was in full rut, but was properly aged! That is always the secret to good meat! Mind ya it is not a good as elk in my opinion, but nothing wrong with it and as good as most of the beef I get here in Thailand.
Hope this helps and will be glad to assist you with some BC outfitters.
Just plan on the moose hunt as NOT being an easy one! Besides the long and tough stalks in northern BC, getting the meat out is a job and a half!
Regards,
Thumper

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

ZIntt-Wish I knew of some good ones there but I dont. Thump should get ya all fixed up!bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

If you want a big bull Look further north towards Yukon Alaska Borders.
The last two bulls I took were both rutting but fairly young bulls. They were delicious and didn’t notice any difference in taste. Old bulls may likely be tougher. Meat handling is key, and get off all the sinew etc same as you would with elk. Sept 15 onward is awesome up there, look at getting a caribou tag if you go far north that’s a perfect combo hunt.

bc is not the best province for mule deer but there are good areas in the south half of province that would offer moose/deer combo.

Alberta and Saskatchewan much better for mulies and big ones.

If you want a big bull Look further north towards Yukon Alaska Borders.
The last two bulls I took were both rutting but fairly young bulls. They were delicious and didn’t notice any difference in taste. Old bulls may likely be tougher. Meat handling is key, and get off all the sinew etc same as you would with elk. Sept 15 onward is awesome up there, look at getting a caribou tag if you go far north that’s a perfect combo hunt.

bc is not the best province for mule deer but there are good areas in the south half of province that would offer moose/deer combo.

Alberta and Saskatchewan much better for mulies and big ones.
+1
f.png

Back