Basics of elk hunting for a flat lander

How about altitude for the flat landers? We’re flying in 4 or 5 days earlier than our hunt hoping this helps us.

How about altitude for the flat landers? We’re flying in 4 or 5 days earlier than our hunt hoping this helps us.
You won't know until you get boots on ground, it doesn't matter how fit you get, it can affect the fittest person on earth, personally (as a complete flat lander myself!) I have never had an issue, after a couple of days I was fine, just take it easy and acclimatise.
Water is key, keep drinking!
Last year myself and friend had do pack out my Elk, 2 x 7mile round trips back up in the mountains, I ran out of water on the last trip back, I though 3 1/2 miles I would be fine, take it from me, you won't be, I drank a huge amount when I got back to the car!

No hunting related, but I took my wife and 2 kids to Colorado on a holiday, we stayed in a cabin at over 10k feet, my wife said she would rather go through child birth again then go back to that cabin, in fact she wanted to catch the next flight home when we were there!

Back to the OP, you have done a lot of homework and covered most bases, with some great additional advice, all I would say is don't overdue the training, no point in picking up an injury so close to your trip.

Cheers

Richard

From a flatlander with high humidity, I will leave my call at home before leaving my chapstick! I'll even cram some in my nose. Heavy breathing because of high altitude and dry air is rough for the first couple of days.

Learn how to pressure breathe. My last trip was from St. Louis (600 Feet above sea level) to North of Durango CO where we packed in and camped at 11,300 and hunted above 12,000. Being 43 at the time (2 years ago) I was worried about going that high so fast. I drove all the way to ABQ in one day, and drank 2 gallons of water during that drive, about 15 hours. I also drank had some Wilderness Athlete Rehydrate and Recover that I mixed in every so often. The next day we drove to the trailhead and was up on the side of the mountain glassing by 3pm. I drank another gallon during that 3 hour drive.

I drank water the entire time on the mountain and at night would chug 16oz of the Wilderness Athlete while boiling water for dinner. I never got altitude sickness, headaches, etc... I used the pressure breath technique the entire time.

Back in the 90's when I started hunting out west ( and living in Ohio) I would get headaches really bad at night on the mountain. I was a stubborn kid and didn't' hydrate properly. Wish I could go back and tell that young man a thing or two. I would have enjoyed the mountain a little more than I did and sleep better at night.

Why start the exact same thread on two different forums?

Not sure I agree with 2 or 7. After side hilling through lots of nasty chit, you might wish you’d have just gone up or down.

Bleachers work too. Or if you live in an apartment complex or work in a tall office building, going up and down the stairs with a pack works too.

Or you can do step ups onto a chair or bench without leaving your home.

It's all irrelevant,

the first time a bull squeals in your face it will red line your adrenaline and you won't even be able to remember your name let alone some list of things to do.

Or yer in yer setup and the bull don't detect you until he's within licking distance of you. That happened to my hunting buddy while I was calling. My buddy could of reached out and slapped the rump of that bull. That's how close he was. Never repeated that scenario since. I am lucky to call one in within 100 yards. It was a young raghorn so we let it go.

Why start the exact same thread on two different forums?

Seriously! That is your initial post? Skip the introduction and crap on someone's thread?

In an effort to add something positive.

It sounds like you have this thing researched on your own better than most beginners. Good for you.

My contribution would be to skip the weekends and hunt the weekdays if that is an option for you. The change in hunting pressure is significant.

great first post Im sure you will have a great trip
# 9 made me laugh One hunt I was sitting on a dead fall with a buddy eating lunch he finds an old larry Jones cow call in his pack and blows it a few time throws it back in his pack saying I never liked the sound of this thing as a good 5x5 charges in skids to a stop 10 yrds away sees us and explodes out of their causing us both to jump out of our boots as I looked at my buddy saying well he sure as hell did our bows were leaning against a tree

For best chance of success at elk hunting especially, I save up my vacation time. This year I am hunting right in the middle of the rut where I am at. AND since most hunters that I meet in the field are gone during mid-week, I am banking on that being my best chance at a nice bull and maybe a deer buck.

A lot of good advice here. I would also suggest shooting the first legal elk you can. Also don’t tiptoe around like whitetail hunting. Cover ground and find them. And remember to have fun

A lot of good advice here. I would also suggest shooting the first legal elk you can. Also don’t tiptoe around like whitetail hunting. Cover ground and find them. And remember to have fun
Dont shoot first legal elk(i would seldom hunt more than day or 2)! shot first one you want to, you can shot one first day and miss 2 weeks of amazing hunting and maybe even bigger animal. Keep it fun and make it the hunt you dreamed of...

I am hunting for two weeks in the rut this year. For that reason, my general tag is going for a bull. First week, I am looking for a royal bull or better. For the deer tags which I will be hunting archery at the same time, I am looking for a nice buck. The second week will be focused on filling the tags with what I find. Man I love my job where I can get two weeks straight off.

"Never pass on the first day what you'd be happy to shoot on the last day" - Someone whom I can't recall.

I've never killed an elk. I'll be in Idaho during the rut with about 6-7 full days of hunting. I'll be killing any bull on day one and any adult elk by day two. Then it will be any elk by day three along with any adult deer all week long lol. I am much more concerned about bringing some/any meat home than killing a "nice" bull. I might think differently once I have a few under my belt, but not right now.

the adjustment is tough for me (from WI). the first day or two at 8000'-9000' I generally take it pretty slow, especially when climbing. I do seem to acclimate pretty quickly and it's less of an issue within a few days. This could be totally different for everyone, I'm guessing.

I have an advantage of how many tags I drew this year. I put in for everything and drew everything and I think I drew an extra leftover Type 8 deer tag which will give me 3 plus my general deer tag. I also got two weeks to do my hunt this year, more time than I ever had in my lifetime. If I have to hunt solo, I am staying out the entire two weeks unless I tag out and my hunting buddies are gone home. For that reason, I am not filing either of my general tags until I see a trophy grade bull or buck respectively and second week I will use my general tags on any elk and any whitetail deer respectively or a mulie with antlers but I will not take any bull or buck with less that 4 points and 3 points respectively (western count for you city slickers that use the eastern count LOL).

My contribution would be to skip the weekends and hunt the weekdays if that is an option for you.

Nope, only hunt weekends. That's when all the big animals are shot. The weather is better, air smells better, it's the best. I'll take care of the crummy week days so you don't have to. :)

"Never pass on the first day what you'd be happy to shoot on the last day"

I always thought that should be changed to "never shoot on the last day what you would pass on the first day."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back