Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Banff & Jasper

Bwana

OK, I had good luck with a similar post regarding Yellowstone so here goes.

My mom recently completed chemo treatments and during one of her treatments we got to talking about places she wants to go now that Dad retired last fall. One of the places on the list was the Banff/Jasper area. She has heard how spectacular it is from others who have been there so my wife and I decided that next year's vacation will be driving with my folks to Banff to see the sights.

My question is, where do you suggest we stay? (decent price with a kitchen would be great as there will be 5 to 7 of us depending on schedules) What are the must-see or must-do things to take in while we are there? Where are the good eating establishments? Mom is not overly mobile yet, so are there any cool nature-type sights (waterfalls, etc.) that aren't a long walk from the road?

Having never been there, I'm all ears so please point me in the right direction and thanks in advance.

Bwana

Last edited:
Many years ago I used to work in Calgary, and a few years back cycled from Jasper to Banff. Don't recall where we stayed except for Lake Louise and The Crossing partway up the Icefields Parkway. The old hotels (Banff Springs and LL) have small rooms but are a great experience, also expensive. Drive from Banff to Jasper - the scenery gets more spectacular the further North you go. Also think about the Kananaskis provincial park just South of Banff. The whole area is great. I think that one of the lifts at the LL ski area is open in the summer - the view must be seen to be believed.

I spent a lot of time hiking, skiing, and biking that area. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Eat in the main dining room at the Chateau LL, walk the paved path up Johnson Canyon.

It's been awile, but there was a nice motel/ cabins just across the bridge over the Athabaska river very close to Jasper. Had a very nice small restaurant, good food and prices not to high. Don't know about kitchen facilities. GJ

Last edited:
I remember as a kid staying at Fairmont Banff Springs and thinking it was a real castle. I also remember being a bit too redneck for it, too. Absolutely no running. Pricey, but worth it for a trip like this I think. http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/

Stay in Canmore! Its an amazing town, amazing food and awesome people and it is seriously a 15 minute drive from downtown banff for half the cost of actually staying in banff. There are many bnb or small cabin type places for rent for larger groups.

I remember as a kid staying at Fairmont Banff Springs and thinking it was a real castle. I also remember being a bit too redneck for it, too. Absolutely no running. Pricey, but worth it for a trip like this I think. http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/

This was the first place I thought of - truly a gem of a hotel. However - with 5-7 folks I think you would be WAY better off in a rental house - both from a comfort and certainly from a cost perspective.

www.vrbo.com is something we've used very often the last 10 years or so. A number of places show (mostly in Canmore) in a random search next summer.

The Kananaskis Resort below the ski hill is great. Its south and west of Canmore. Same sights as Banff, less stupidity, tourist busses, hustle, riff-raff, prices etc..

I absolutely love it. Probably the neatest place I've ever seen from a road.

In Banff we stayed at the Rimrock Resort. It was a great place, but again, Banff is sooooo crowded.

The Icefields parkway would probably be neat for her. You can ride out on the huge icefield in a big bus type thing.

Me and the wife spent about 10 days in that area on our trip to Alaska couple years ago, we went up thru Eureka, north of Kalispell, we stayed in Golden , BC, then went over to the park itself, Banff that is. I really enjoyed Golden, lots to do there and the crowds are less. It is about 1 1/2 hours if that to Banff. We didn't stay in any vacation rentals, but I have checked on going back and looks like there are a lot of choices. Personally I would stay in Golden, but you can't go wrong in taking your folks up there, I have thought about taking my mom, and have encouraged others to travel there. stayed at a campground right along the Kicking Horse river, pretty nice place. Then we went over to Lake Louise area and camped, there are lots of lodges and vacation homes for rent anywhere up in that area, one good thing is the exchange rate, when we were there, it was pretty close to 1=1. now I think it is 1 u.s.=1.30 can. so that helps. Jasper is also nice, still people around but not as busy The drive up is exceptional I thought, good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back