Yeti GOBOX Collection

Band of Brothers

Dick Winters was from my area, lived out his life in the Hershey PA area. Think of him every time I drive over the bridge on Rt 322 with his name on it.
Greatest generation pretty much sums it up.

Dick Winters was from my area, lived out his life in the Hershey PA area. Think of him every time I drive over the bridge on Rt 322 with his name on it.
Greatest generation pretty much sums it up.
That dude was cut from some special cloth. You can tell just by the way his men spoke of him.

Fantastic series, some of the best television ever created.

June 6 1918 marked the Marines' attack on hill 142. The victory of the Battle of Belleau Wood helped stop the advance of the Germans into France.

The Marines suffered more casualties in one day than they had in all the years combined since their conception in 1775.

Dick Winter’s book “Beyond Band of Brothers“ is a great read and corrects some of the errors in the mini series. Guarnere and Heffron wrote a book together (Ghostwriter help) so did Buck Compton, as well as Don Malarkey and David Kenyon Webster.

Dick Winters: Beyond Band Of Brothers
Don Malarkey: Easy Company Soldier
Buck Compton: Call of Duty, My Life Before, During, and After Band of Brothers.
Guanere and Heffron: Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends.
David Kenyon Webster: Parachute Infantry*. * This is the best IMO outside of Winter’s Book.

There’s a couple of biographical books, “Fierce Valor” about Ron Speirs and another, Shifty’s War, that are interesting too.

There are probably a couple others but if you loved BoB these are worth reading. In case you didn’t notice, I am WWII History nut.

God bless The Greatest Generation and all of our veterans.

The best book on WW2 that I have ever read was With the Old Breed, by E.B. Sledge. Also his sequel to this book called China Marine is excellent reading. Straight from an enlisted Marine on the front lines of battles in the Pacific and the mental battle(s) after the war.

Also, on my personal lifetime "to-do-list" is a 2 day visit to the World War 2 museum in New Orleans.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Would love to watch. Have never seen. Does not seem to be available on DirecTV or any of the streaming services I have.

Dick Winter’s book “Beyond Band of Brothers“ is a great read and corrects some of the errors in the mini series. Guarnere and Heffron wrote a book together (Ghostwriter help) so did Buck Compton, as well as Don Malarkey and David Kenyon Webster.

Dick Winters: Beyond Band Of Brothers
Don Malarkey: Easy Company Soldier
Buck Compton: Call of Duty, My Life Before, During, and After Band of Brothers.
Guanere and Heffron: Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends.
David Kenyon Webster: Parachute Infantry*. * This is the best IMO outside of Winter’s Book.

There’s a couple of biographical books, “Fierce Valor” about Ron Speirs and another, Shifty’s War, that are interesting too.

There are probably a couple others but if you loved BoB these are worth reading. In case you didn’t notice, I am WWII History nut.
Thanks for the new reading material, I have been needing some new books.
As mentioned above, With the Old Breed by Sledge is really good, as well as Helmet for my Pillow, the two books the Pacific series was based on. Those 2 series are some of my favorites. I'm also obsessed with WW2 history. For any history and engineering nerds, there is a great series on the Nebula streaming platforms that is called Logistics of D Day. I highly recommend.

I'm just south of Chicago for work this week, on the way back to the motel I saw a sign for a National Cemetery and decided to stop by. Absolutely floored, Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery is in wonderful shape and it has always given me goose bumps on how all the verterans headstones are perfectyl placed. As I was walking through the headstones it was mind numbing at the amount of WWII veterans, so many lives were touched by that war. I think of Band of Brothers and see places like this and it gives me a little pride knowing that their sacrifice hasn't and won't ever go unnoticed.

There was no noise, no one else around, just me and a lot of buried fellow veterans. I would be proud to be buried there if I were from the area, beautiful place to rest. One Congressional Medal Honor recipient is buried there too.

If you haven't watched Band of Brothers you need too. Netflix has a documentary series on Medal of Honor recipients and their actions, includes interviews with some and witness to the events. Highly recommend it as well.

June 6 1918 marked the Marines' attack on hill 142. The victory of the Battle of Belleau Wood helped stop the advance of the Germans into France.

The Marines suffered more casualties in one day than they had in all the years combined since their conception in 1775.
My father in law was a Marine Corp Forward Gunnery Observer in the South Pacific. 3 landings, always 2nd wave (the worst) until he was torn apart by a Japanese mortar round on Peleliu. That put him in hospital for months but he survived the war. He never talked with his own sons or family about his combat experience, but he did with me - sometimes with tears streaming down his face. I felt honored to be so entrusted.

I dislike the "greatest generation" label - it's a device to sell books and does a diservice to other generations that sacrificed even more than the WW2 generation. Having said that, I understand the sentiment. But I think it's important to keep such things in a broader historical context - like the Marines action on hill 142.

My father in law was a Marine Corp Forward Gunnery Observer in the South Pacific. 3 landings, always 2nd wave (the worst) until he was torn apart by a Japanese mortar round on Peleliu. That put him in hospital for months but he survived the war. He never talked with his own sons or family about his combat experience, but he did with me - sometimes with tears streaming down his face. I felt honored to be so entrusted.

I dislike the "greatest generation" label - it's a device to sell books and does a diservice to other generations that sacrificed even more than the WW2 generation. Having said that, I understand the sentiment. But I think it's important to keep such things in a broader historical context - like the Marines action on hill 142.
Well said. Important events often get overshadowed. War is only romanticized by those who haven't seen it.

Can’t even conceive of such inhospitable places they were island hopping. Volcanic ash, pumice as ground and entrenched enemy who’d rather die than surrender. Hiroo Onada didn’t concede the war to be over until 1974.

I'm just south of Chicago for work this week, on the way back to the motel I saw a sign for a National Cemetery and decided to stop by. Absolutely floored, Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery is in wonderful shape and it has always given me goose bumps on how all the verterans headstones are perfectyl placed. As I was walking through the headstones it was mind numbing at the amount of WWII veterans, so many lives were touched by that war. I think of Band of Brothers and see places like this and it gives me a little pride knowing that their sacrifice hasn't and won't ever go unnoticed.

There was no noise, no one else around, just me and a lot of buried fellow veterans. I would be proud to be buried there if I were from the area, beautiful place to rest. One Congressional Medal Honor recipient is buried there too.

If you haven't watched Band of Brothers you need too. Netflix has a documentary series on Medal of Honor recipients and their actions, includes interviews with some and witness to the events. Highly recommend it as well.
2E4556D5-67FE-4721-9B2C-22FF0666FDF0.jpeg

JLDemo, likewise, I often visit many of our national cemeteries when traveling. Here is a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient from the Korean War who is buried in the Nashville National Cemetery. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back