Passing on Traditions

Jape

I love family traditions. They provide a way to connect to each other doing something looked forward to for weeks, months, or even years. The tradition I looked forward to more than any other growing up was the day we got to go hunting with dad and grandpa. School let out for one day and our football coach told us to not roll our ankles and to be back by 4 p.m. practice. This fall brought my children’s first hunt. They were giddy with anticipation. At ages 6 and 8 they were becoming cognizant of the times I would come home with meat after a successful hunt and the LOVED the stories I shared. I think they fully expected success on their first hunt. I wasn’t quite as optimistic. I had a general season Utah deer tag and the area we were going to hit near my buddy‘s cabin is not known for great deer. Regardless, I knew we would have a good time together just enjoying the amazing creations we all get to share.

There is nothing as miserable as a cold and hungry kid, so I packed lots of extra blankets, hand warmers, hot cocoa, and treats. Pack was definitely heavier than normal! 😆 The weather was going to be excellent, which meant poor hunting but happier children. My buddy and I decided on a canyon that was often overlooked because it was near a coal plant. I think people assumed there weren’t any deer there because the plant is only a mile away. We hiked down the westward ridge and got set up before light crept over the horizon. My favorite part of the trip was huddled with my kids under a blanket watching that sun rise.

It wasn’t long before we saw a dozen deer feeding on the adjacent ridge from us. The situation would have been perfect if a buck would have been in the group. The kids enjoyed watching them through the binos regardless. After an hour of little else, I decided to drop down the ridge while the kids stayed with my buddy, Shawn, to take a nap. They were only slightly upset with me when I ruined that nap 15 minutes later following a single shot from my rifle. It was a special experience to share their first hunt and the deer was icing on the cake.

97458283-E22A-4EDA-B564-87E0B76E4FE9.jpeg

Our versions of the obligatory Mossback photo.

CECE24ED-192F-4F87-9145-7E93CBCC42B3.jpegD94896D9-C766-4530-A8CC-9C63A2248F8D.jpeg

Great work. Mine haven't been lucky enough (or more accurately, quiet enough) to have much success when they tag along. Congrats on the experience, no one is going to forget it.

awesome post! Very cool!

I still remember opening day of deer season and my dad would have packed me soup and by 8am there'd be a small fire and I'd be roasting ham sandwiches over it ha!

I love that you were able to do that with your kids. These are the times they'll remember the rest of their lives.

I extraordinarily jealous. Congrats. I need to get my little ones out in the field more. Hopefully this winter with some cooler weather.

Back